• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
was never capped for the Reds. Came over in 2015 late and played 3 games off the bench for QLD Country in NRC (behind Sam Greene). Played QLD 20s in 2016 (all star team) and started 4 times for QLD Country in NRC. Then said he was off to the Force, Force balked, then he said he'd come back to the Reds, Reds offered him a lessor spot (as they'd signed others in the meantime) and then he went to the Tahs.

Hmm I definitely watched him at Ballymore playing for the Reds in a trial against a kiwi team, that’s the first time I really noticed him and thought he offered something.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
was never capped for the Reds. Came over in 2015 late and played 3 games off the bench for QLD Country in NRC (behind Sam Greene). Played QLD 20s in 2016 (all star team) and started 4 times for QLD Country in NRC. Then said he was off to the Force, Force balked, then he said he'd come back to the Reds, Reds offered him a lessor spot (as they'd signed others in the meantime) and then he went to the Tahs.

So, the Reds failed to develop him, eh?;)
In reality, this idea that an organisation "failed to develop" a player assumes a lot. There are so many variables as to why a promising younger player does not become a really good senior player.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well to look at the 2019 season alone, Tahs knew they had to rest Foley at some point. In which case they should have at least brought Mason off the bench a few times before throwing him in as the starting 5/8 in the match foley was rested. That was diabolical planning and it played out as well as anyone would expect.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Well to look at the 2019 season alone, Tahs knew they had to rest Foley at some point. In which case they should have at least brought Mason off the bench a few times before throwing him in as the starting 5/8 in the match foley was rested. That was diabolical planning and it played out as well as anyone would expect.
It wasn't ideal, and I felt sorry for him sitting on the bench for 80, but the Waratahs had to keep winning after a slow start and most of the games were tight, so it wasn't easy to blood him. It backfired against the Sun Wolves, but on the other hand he was given a chance against arguably the weakest Super Rugby team and didn't step up.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
All these hypotheticals about Mack Mason don't make sense. He's not a standout Shute Shield player, so he's not going to be a Super Rugby level player. Sure he was good in the Under 20s, but that was more than a couple of years ago now. His greatest achievement in rugby has been being re-signed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes, but Jeremy Tilse did enough to get to 50+ caps somehow.

He was happy to be mostly the fourth choice prop on a modest contract through an era where predominantly there was only one bench prop.

He was renowned as a great club man and strong trainer. I don't think it is any surprise why the Waratahs kept wanting to offer him a contract. He was excellent value.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
As I said after his performance against the Sunwolves, Mason is shot. Surprised the tahs gave him another contract.

I see him playing 2nd division European footy at best. I hope he can prove me wrong.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
^ now makes more sense BH. It's all in his hands then to perform this year, though I think NSW would be better served developing Donaldson and Harrison.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^ now makes more sense BH. It's all in his hands then to perform this year, though I think NSW would be better served developing Donaldson and Harrison.

Yeah, I doubt Mason will be getting another Waratahs contract.

I think he hasn't been given the opportunities at Super Rugby level because he hasn't developed his game enough and there wasn't a desire to give him those opportunities in 2019 regardless because the expectation was that Harrison would be ahead of him pretty quickly.

Up and under

Stan Wickham (3)

I believe having Mason, Donaldson and Harrison all vying for the 10 position is exciting for the Waratahs as they all have their individual strengths and weaknesses. But having the opportunity to push and challenge each other during pre-season training can only be a good thing and at the end of the day it will hopefully make them all more complete rugby players.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hmm I definitely watched him at Ballymore playing for the Reds in a trial against a kiwi team, that’s the first time I really noticed him and thought he offered something.

2016 v Crusaders.

St.George Queensland Reds v Crusaders
Pre-season match, Ballymore Stadium, Saturday 6 February

1. Ben Daley
2. Andrew Ready
3. Sam Talakai
4. Cadeyrn Neville
5. Rob Simmons (C)
6. Lolo Fakaosilea
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Nick Frisby