• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2019-2020

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^
You blokes are number two in the world for a reason. Should be a cracking series. Hopefully Boult is fit so both sides are at full strength.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Carnage at Adelaide. Marnus and Davey ton up again. With Marnus performing so well after adopting some of Smith's technical attributes will other batsmen and young players follow suit? Perhaps Smith has changed batting.

Also, I see over in Hamilton Tom Latham has his 5th century in 10 innings. We can't afford to stray onto his pads when NZ comes over.

From what I understand, Matthew Maynard at Glamorgan had a lot to do with sorting Marnus' technique out. Apparently he was bringing his bat down at the wrong angle to play on both sides of the wicket and nicking off a lot. They sorted that out and just turned his stance a touch and then he started scoring a mountain of runs.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
From what I understand, Matthew Maynard at Glamorgan had a lot to do with sorting Marnus' technique out. Apparently he was bringing his bat down at the wrong angle to play on both sides of the wicket and nicking off a lot. They sorted that out and just turned his stance a touch and then he started scoring a mountain of runs.
That’s true. Maynard gives off the outcast master coach vibe. There are similarities between the pair’s techniques that said.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ we've currently got six guys (Latham, Williamson, Taylor, Nicholls, Watling & de Grandhomme) averaging 40+ which is comfortably the most we've ever had at one time (& the most of any current Test XI).

Unfortunately our other opener Raval is in a terrible run of form atm & there's really no-one else you could throw in to open at the WACA in two weeks time. I fully expect Kane to be coming in very, very early.

Funnily enough WOB probably the 2 best options we have as openers are both keepers, Latham and Watling, so we chasing other options. Liked the look of John Mitchells boy batting yesterday, could tell he played a lot in Perth , almost shame he not coming to Aus, very solid off back foot. Made me wonder to son, if any other All Blacks sons have made it in cricket.
Suspect we may struggle over here, especially in Perth with it a day nighter, don't think BCs have much experience with pink ball. As well as Pakistan has given Warner etc a bloody nice chance to play themselves into top form and confidence.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^I think (& fervently hope) the days of player 'x' getting runs down the order then being biffed in to open are over. Let BJW keep with Latham as backup in case of injury or an 11-hour innings. I also think Raval's shortcomings will be exposed in Straya esp Perth.

Missed Mitchell's innings but he's doing a reasonable job with the ball today.

Starting to cloud over rather quickly & the humidity has increased greatly in the last half-hour, I'll be very surprised if we get through to stumps without it raining. Light may also become an issue so they'll need to make the call whether to turn on the lights fairly soon.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Same squad for the Kiwi tests - less Bancroft. Good to see some continuity in selections at last. Lets hope the Kiwis put a bit of pressure on us. They certainly have the talent.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Starc again shows how clueless the selectors were in England
I reckon we would have wrapped them up in Headingley had he been there.

I heard Dizzy Gillespie saying he had been working on his action. That is, not letting his left arm go behind his body as he starts his action which is helping him generate more consistent pace. He gets a fair pasting from some sections (looking at you Warnie) so it’s good to see him getting reward for effort.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think he's our best quick when he's on, just doesn't have the consistency of Cummins or Hazelwood. I would still pick him over Pattinson, and he's a mile in front of Siddle, who at test level could really only be classed a good honest toiler

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sydney not looking so flash, either, what with all the Bush fire smoke. Any chance they'd transfer?

Expecting black armbands & a moments silence at Perth tomorrow, it looks increasingly likely that some of those killed in the eruption of White Island were Australians. Condolences to all affected.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sydney not looking so flash, either, what with all the Bush fire smoke. Any chance they'd transfer?

They finished a Sheffield Shield game there yesterday.

Link is: twitter.com/cricketcomau/status/1204218898649735168 as it is not embedding properly (at least for me).