• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not sure I'd like to see Nathan Grey have any role with the U20s and Scoolboys/U18s. Both groups showed a lot in defense in their games this year. If it ain't broke... etc.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - good luck to him I guess, but doesn’t seem an appointment based on any merit to me.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not sure what a High performance Coach does that the state coaches and rep team coaches don't do.
If Nathan is seeking coaching roles, surely he'd be better off coaching actual teams not bits and pieces of team strategies.
Still have a lot of respect for him as a former player, and hope he can overcome the negative vibe from his chess-piece defensive plans that went so horribly wrong in the past.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think the High Performance coaching role is for people who are still contracted to RA and they don't want to pay them out.
Then how the hell is he still contracted to RA?

Okay, the head coach gets to choose assistant coaches.

So what was the thinking in contracting said assistant coach beyond the contracted term of the HC himself?

Perhaps this High Performance position is actually a fresh appointment.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It could be one of those 'phasing out' roles.
A company I worked for in the 80's would occasionally appoint someone to the role of 'manager - special projects', he would have no staff, no-one knew what he did, and a month or so later a memo would come around saying he had resigned to pursue other opportunities, the company thanked him for his service and wished him well in the future. o_O

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
On the one hand, it's nice to see that Australian coaching IP isn't lost after a coach resigns. On the other, it reeeeekkkkks of the usual 'Jobs for the Boyzzzz" attitude.

Grey would honestly be best off starting a new chapter at a different club if he wanted to keep his coaching career alive. The last several years hasn't done much to showcase his 'talents'.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's the vicious catch-22 of subbies rugby. And the even crueller twist is if you win too much and take out a title, expect at least half of your team to retire and never come back.

We won a first grade title in about 2010, and it was simultaneously the best and worst thing to ever happen to the club.

Equally, that Fourth Grade title a few years ago would have cut the base from under the club with retirements, yes?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If you guys are going to talk about subbies rugby in this thread at least find a way to link it back to Raelene Castle's failings as CEO or Clyne as chairman.

I'm sure the fatcats watch some Shute Shield, but how many times have either of them turned up for the 5th Grade kick off at 9am on a Sunday morning in July, after getting on the beers the night before at the Super Game!????

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Raelene and Clyne have never felt the pain of dragging goalposts pads over a dewy field at 9am, after a big Friday night and before a likely 50+ point loss against superior opposition, followed by a similar loss when you're called into the 3rds because four blokes failed to show up, followed by an evening session at the sponsor pub where you drag your bruised and battered body in to support the club, only to be subjected to an evening of $8.50 beers, $26 steak and yet another mediocre Wallaby loss to a lowly ranked opponent in front of a sparse home crowd.

That's probably the most 'Australian Rugby' paragraph in the history of the site, therefore it's 100% relevant to the thread.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Raelene and Clyne have never felt the pain of dragging goalposts pads over a dewy field at 9am, after a big Friday night and before a likely 50+ point loss against superior opposition, followed by a similar loss when you're called into the 3rds because four blokes failed to show up, followed by an evening session at the sponsor pub where you drag your bruised and battered body in to support the club, only to be subjected to an evening of $8.50 beers, $26 steak and yet another mediocre Wallaby loss to a lowly ranked opponent in front of a sparse home crowd.

This is why so many players retire after winning a subbies premiership. It goes against everything they've ever known about Australian rugby and being a Wallabies fan and they just can't risk it happening again.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

That's probably the most 'Australian Rugby' paragraph in the history of the site, therefore it's 100% relevant to the thread.

Aussie az.
Ironically Clyne did play a lot of rugby, including rep I think.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep a few of us have Barb, but I don't think too many would be happy with us running Aus rugby either!