• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Looks a clear and obvious 12 to me, but either position a very good player.

I think young promising 10s very often look like they're better suited to 12, because they have the physical skillset (kicking, passing, turn of pace) but have not have yet developed the experience to properly marshall a backline. There's a lot to be said for giving those players the opportunity to grow at 10, rather than shifting them out to 12 and allowing their development to continue without adding the strings to their bow necessary to succeed at 10; potentially hamstringing their capacity to transition later on (see M Giteau).

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Tried to breakdown everything Brumbies related. Looking forward to seeing how they go in 2020! (Yes I need a new mic) Hope you like it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Excellent work Ruggy. Looking forward to a successful Brumbies' season, but as you say, a lot will depend on how the youing No 10s step up. If one can make the spot his own, then I think the whole shebang is well within their capabilities.

Rory will be sorely missed by the Brumbies and Wallabies. Pete Samu was definitely hard done by in Cheika's selections. Talk about hold a grudge, which seemed to apply to the likes of Joe Powell and Tevita Kuridrani as well. Personally, I like the look of Bayley Keunzle at No 10. Not discounting Pasitoa, but he is still very green and maybe needs a year or two of more development before being ready for Super rugby. I think Mac Hanson will be a smokey for a starting spot during the coming season. Very versatile, has good pace and a step and could easily be a standout on the wing or No 15 if the opportunity presents. The other no-name player in contention for the starting team will be Jahrome Brown in the No 7 spot. He looks like a more traditional, on the ball type of player than McCaffrey but Lachie is a very innovative player so it should be a good tussle for this spot.

My out of left field prediction for 2020 is that James Slipper will revert to the TH side of the scrum on the reserve bench with Harry Lloyd taking the LH bench spot,

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks heaps mate, means a lot! Agree with everything you're saying, Hansen is definitely slick from what I've seen and I do like Jahrome Brown - reckon McCaffrey just has time and experience on him (at the moment). Gotta love competition for spots.

Excellent work Ruggy. Looking forward to a successful Brumbies' season, but as you say, a lot will depend on how the youing No 10s step up. If one can make the spot his own, then I think the whole shebang is well within their capabilities.

Rory will be sorely missed by the Brumbies and Wallabies. Pete Samu was definitely hard done by in Cheika's selections. Talk about hold a grudge, which seemed to apply to the likes of Joe Powell and Tevita Kuridrani as well. Personally, I like the look of Bayley Keunzle at No 10. Not discounting Pasitoa, but he is still very green and maybe needs a year or two of more development before being ready for Super rugby. I think Mac Hanson will be a smokey for a starting spot during the coming season. Very versatile, has good pace and a step and could easily be a standout on the wing or No 15 if the opportunity presents. The other no-name player in contention for the starting team will be Jahrome Brown in the No 7 spot. He looks like a more traditional, on the ball type of player than McCaffrey but Lachie is a very innovative player so it should be a good tussle for this spot.

My out of left field prediction for 2020 is that James Slipper will revert to the TH side of the scrum on the reserve bench with Harry Lloyd taking the LH bench spot,

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
2020 kit. Biggest change is the alternate jersey.
Y9syZ0Bg.jpeg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/12/17/super-rugby-brumbies-team-of-the-decade

As much as Benny A was a favourite of mine, I don't think he edges out Allan Ala'alatoa from the THP spot.

The other questionable selections might be McCabe and Mogg, but hard to think of better performers in the past 10 years. Maybe Joe Tomane on the wing.

In any case, it is a team entirely made up of Wallabies, significantly a few of whom are still playing at both Super and Test level.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have to agree on both points........

AAA from 2015 onwards is all over Alexander..........

They've clearly wanted to squeeze McCabe in there somewhere, but Tomane deserves that other wing spot.

They could've put McCabe at fullback, but I suppose you can't go past Mogg........ despite the low points his highlights reel between 2012 - 2013 trump the other candidates.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I was waiting to see how long until they pulled the trigger and moved the team so they could train. The conditions are impossible to train in due to the air quality. On the three occasions I have been able to get on the bike post xmas (and generally there is only a short window where its been ok) it been tough as you can feel the effects so you consciously back down on how hard you push to minimise the impact. Between the smoke and the heat it's really shocking trying to do any exercise outside.

It's also having an impact on buildings and homes with evaporative or cooling systems that draw air directly from outside as its drawing in the smoke. So even gyms and other indoor sporting facilities would be impacted.

The media are reporting that the fires could go on for some time (towards if not beyond the end of the month) and I am wondering if there could be an impact not only on the Brumbies home games (first 3 are at home IIRC) but on the Tahs and Rebels home games?

Fingers crossed it will have passed but I hope someone has started the thinking about a plan "B".

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thank you MST. Echos my thoughts and concerns precisely. The season opening is looking a bit dire atm.

EDIT : Of course, a few good, strong westerlies to clear our skies and drop the load all over NZ might help to even the playing field. ;):rolleyes:

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Really don't want to wish the smoke pollution (more than a haze - about time we started to call it for what it is) on to anyone. Just hopeful that it all clears up in time for the start to the season. Glad to see the Brumbies move temporarily to Newcastle for the next ten days.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I wonder whether all the relevant sporting authorities are heavily into contingency planning. There is absolutely no certainty that this will clear up soon.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wonder whether all the relevant sporting authorities are heavily into contingency planning. There is absolutely no certainty that this will clear up soon.

There was talk about contingency planning in the Australian today between SANZAAR, RA and the relevant teams.. One option is a nil all draw with points shared..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There was talk about contingency planning in the Australian today between SANZAAR, RA and the relevant teams.. One option is a nil all draw with points shared..

I don't think you can do much more. Rescheduling professional matches or relocating them at the last minute is very difficult.