• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

Yeap, I can remember Link saying the 3 year cycle multiple times too. Plus, I thought it was pretty well accepted that Link's quick success at the Reds is directly attributable to Mooney spending the time and effort building the nucleus of the 2011 winning squad?

It’s a theory and I don’t subscribe to it.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Why do we care what Phil did or didn't do after his time at the Reds?

As I said, Mooney spent those two years essentially putting together the team that Link used to win the competition. In other words, Mooney's copped the years of development while Link got to benefit from that.

I'm not saying the Reds would have won the competition under Mooney, more the fact that two years were spent under him developing the players and Link needed another year development to then turn them into the winning side. This is a similar timeframe that we're seeing with Thorn.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

As I said, Mooney spent those two years essentially putting together the team that Link used to win the competition. In other words, Mooney's copped the years of development while Link got to benefit from that.

I'm not saying the Reds would have won the competition under Mooney, more the fact that two years were spent under him developing the players and Link needed another year development to then turn them into the winning side. This is a similar timeframe that we're seeing with Thorn.
Phil had good success at U20’s level , coached a bunch of young lads trying to make it at Super level and that is what Link inherited.

Bit like the current coach , just hope BT gets to see the rewards of the structure and culture he has put in place.

B

Bobby Sands

Because you proposed it an an accepted reality.

I don’t care, but I’m just saying don’t keep perpetuating a falsehood if you don’t necessarily believe it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Mooney's last team:

15 McLinden
14 Davies
13 Fetoai
12 Cooper
11 Va'aulu
10 Barnes
9 Lucas
8 Houston
7 Shaw
6 Taylor
5 Humphreys
4 Horwill (c)
3 Weekes
2 Hardman
1 Daley

Replacements: Saia Fainga'a, Greg Holmes Adam Byrnes, Scott Higginbotham, Richard Kingi, Ant Sauer.

4 of that starting team started in the SUper Rugby GF win of 2011. Higgers, Holmes and Saia all started too.

The guys Mooney blooded at the Reds:

- Digby Ioane (back from the Force)
- Morgan Turinui
- Chris Siale
- Leroy Houston
- Danya Edwards
- Ben Lucas
- Poutasi Luafutu
- Scott Higginbotham
- Ben Daley
- Daniel Braid
- Adam Byrnes
- Saia Fainga'a
- Laurie Weekes
- Rob Simmons
- Anthony Fainga'a
- Mark McLinden
- Blair Connor
- Jack Kennedy
- Ezra Taylor
- Rodney Davies
- Brendan McKibben
- Luke Morahan
- Andrew Shaw
- Richard Kingi
- Ben Tapuai
- Ant Sauer

The Faingaas were the real key to Mooney's reign. He brought them on the back of his knowledge of the when coaching the Oz 19s team. Does anyone know who was in that team that played for the Reds of this era? Rocket? Dan Braid was a very canny signing at the time too. Of course, naming Horwill as skipper was probably his masterstroke.

Link debuted the following players in his first two years:
- James Slipper
- Will Chambers
- Jake Schatz
- James Hanson
- Radike Samo
- Lei Tomeki
- Ed Quirk
(this was his first year. Rather steady. A lot of the above Mooney men moved on though and Link made his mark with the likes of:
- Beau Robinson
- Aidan Toua
- Mike Harris
- Adam Wallace-Harrison
- Liam Gill
- Ian Prior
- Guy Shepherdson
- Dom Shipperley
- Albert Anae
-Ben Coridas
- Jono Lance
- Dallan Murphy
- Caleb Ralph

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting to note he played rugby union in nz going through high school, and was with the blues development.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I can only think this was driven at RA level because of a perceived weakness in test wingers for the Wallabies, because as a Super Rugby level whilst the Reds wingers aren’t great, they are suitable

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I would have thought he's a like-for-like substitute for Speight (can't remember how long his contract with us is) who is replacing Sefa. Marika demonstrated this year how valuable pace is which Hardy and Campbell don't quite have in comparison.