• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Although we are skinny at 10, Deegan seems a big call since he hasn't proved himself at Super Rugby yet. I'd also have JOC (James O'Connor) in the squad at least

Sorry - Hodge is written twice. It's meant to be JOC (James O'Connor). Well we need 3 flyhalves - I'm just guessing it'll be Deegan who gets the 3rd spot, either that or Beale will cover 10 (as the 3rd option) and they will carry an extra outside back/centre

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think I've also seen a comment attributed to him to say that older, established players won't be automatic selections if form doesn't warrant selection. I'd think the likes of Simmons, DHP, Hunt and Beale might fit into that category.

I agree that White should be left out of the squad until he actually arrives back in the country, but why in any sense would Foley be there at No 10? He lost his spot in the 23 this year after a string of unimpressive appearances over recent years. I cannot see him being brought back under the Giteau rule (or whatever surpasses it).

It's just the unknown isn't it (10). Options are To'omua (who is a better 12), Beale (who is a better 15) ....or a list of guys who we really have no idea yet. U20 players (Lucas/Harrison) or developing journeymen (Mason/Deegan). I don't like Foley, but when you want 3 flyhalf options in a squad, at least he would be a reliable option, proven solid performer. I definitely think we will see him in 2020 as those other options continue their development.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
If Rennie is half as sensible as people are saying, Uncle Rico has a better shot at the 10 jersey than Beale does. Better off with an unknown quantity, even if the unknown quantity hasn't lit the super 15/16/18/15 on fire.

Im confident that To'omua is a serviceable test 10 if surrounded by halfway competent players and a coach that hasn't literally lost his mind.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If Rennie is half as sensible as people are saying, Uncle Rico has a better shot at the 10 jersey than Beale does. Better off with an unknown quantity, even if the unknown quantity hasn't lit the super 15/16/18/15 on fire.

Im confident that To'omua is a serviceable test 10 if surrounded by halfway competent players and a coach that hasn't literally lost his mind.
Has literally never demonstrated this, once. Same with Beale. Neither are realistic options in a team that want to win things.

He's a great 12. I thought he was the 12 for years to come once Giteau left the slot, but he left.

Now that Kerevi is gone he has a shot at being first choice 12 again. He should do that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m assuming Vunivalu will be one of the wings now, based on the precedent established with White playing in the WC.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Has literally never demonstrated this, once. Same with Beale. Neither are realistic options in a team that want to win things.

Yes I said I was confident because it is speculation rather than a reflection on what has actually happened, though I'm certain he's got better credentials than Beale (can defend, doesn't run across the paddock, uses his brain).

We'll be a bit limited by who is available. If there are no competent 10s running around but someone puts their hand up at 12, To'omua might need to play 10. It's not like he's a Kerevi / Nonu type 12 that as no idea about playing 10.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
My choices for the Ireland series:

Head coach - Rennie
Attack - Wisemantel
Defence - Taylor
Forwards - Fisher

1/3 - Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Johnson-Holmes
2 - Fainga'a, Paenga-Amosa, Uelese
4/5 - Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Jones, Hockings
6/7/8 - Dempsey, Naisarani, Valetini, Hooper, Wright, McReight
9 - Gordon, Powell, McDermott
10 - Lucas, Deegan
12/13 - To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor), Petaia, Kuridrani
11/14/15 - Banks, Pulu, Koroibete, Wright, Hodge

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My choices for the Ireland series:

Head coach - Rennie
Attack - Wisemantel
Defence - Taylor
Forwards - Fisher

1/3 - Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Johnson-Holmes
2 - Fainga'a, Paenga-Amosa, Uelese
4/5 - Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Jones, Hockings
6/7/8 - Dempsey, Naisarani, Valetini, Hooper, Wright, McReight
9 - Gordon, Powell, McDermott
10 - Lucas, Deegan
12/13 - To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor), Petaia, Kuridrani
11/14/15 - Banks, Pulu, Koroibete, Wright, Hodge

Very close to what I see as the squad, Uh Huh. Just a couple of quibbles.

4/5 : IMO Matt Philip is the best of the Rebels' locks, so ought to be there at least in front of Jones. But on the strength of experience I think it would be Hockings I'd leave out for Philip.

6/7/8 : Pete Samu is a must. Extremely hard to drop any of your nominated back rowers, but again on the strength of experience, maybe Samu in for McReight who will one day be about the best of them all.

10 : I don't see Lucas being ready for test match rugby in 2020. Think To'omua might be selected in the squad as a 10, but more likely to play 12.

12/13 : Now there's a hole in the centres with no other stand outs ready to come in. Maybe Billy Meakes or Irae Simone to cover the 12 spot if To'omua plays 10.

11/14/15 : I personally don't see Toni Pulu coming into the squad when he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning. Jack Maddocks would be my pick, but Henry Speight might come under consideration as well.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
As much as I like Deegan I just can't see him starting at the Rebels which will definitely hurt his Wallaby chances. To'omua last week was saying 10 is his preferred position and wants to play there. That's why I was surprised Deegan went to Rebels and not Tahs.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Very close to what I see as the squad, Uh Huh. Just a couple of quibbles.

4/5 : IMO Matt Philip is the best of the Rebels' locks, so ought to be there at least in front of Jones. But on the strength of experience I think it would be Hockings I'd leave out for Philip.

6/7/8 : Pete Samu is a must. Extremely hard to drop any of your nominated back rowers, but again on the strength of experience, maybe Samu in for McReight who will one day be about the best of them all.

10 : I don't see Lucas being ready for test match rugby in 2020. Think To'omua might be selected in the squad as a 10, but more likely to play 12.

12/13 : Now there's a hole in the centres with no other stand outs ready to come in. Maybe Billy Meakes or Irae Simone to cover the 12 spot if To'omua plays 10.

11/14/15 : I personally don't see Toni Pulu coming into the squad when he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning. Jack Maddocks would be my pick, but Henry Speight might come under consideration as well.

Samu was very difficult to leave out. I think McReight is a non-negotiable, so it's between Samu and Wright.

I'm sure you're right about To'omua being selected as the 10, but I think Lucas is the better choice. We're at the very start of the world cup cycle, I don't think we should be looking for players to 'cover' positions on a temporary basis, in the vain hope that somebody better comes along. We know who our best young players are, let's select them and give them the time to prove themselves.

I think Pulu earnt a call-up for the World Cup and shouldn't have been left out. It is a close call between him and Maddocks though, so I'd be happy either way.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I think worrying about the RWC (or allowing it to influence your selections) less than about 18 - 24 months out from it is foolish.

What I posted earlier:

We probably won't win in 2023. Too much can go wrong too easily. He'll, the Abs - the most dominant sports team in history - are only 3 from 9. Subjugating the bledisloe and everything else in between now and 2023 looks and feels pretty stupid when you don't win it.

Erasmus was asked about 2023 and he said they would focus on the 2021 lions tour and worry about the RWC after that. And I think, given rugby injury (Pat Lambie was starting for the boks less than 3y ago and now he has retired), form, and the inevitability of new talent emerging over 4 years, people going to japan at 24yo becuase their family needs the cash and so on, that's fairly sensible. If we must build towards something, perhaps it should be the 2021 RC/Bled?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I really think we need to move on from the WC cycle bullshit. It's four years away, who knows what players are going to turn up, find form, lose form, retire, get injured, move overseas etc between now and then.
In the meantime, let's allow Rennie and his selectors to just put the best team on the paddock that they can, and see if we can show an improved performance against Ireland, in the RC and the Bled. Knock over all those would be the greatest thing they could do for Australian rugby right now, worry about the WC in 2023!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Sorry Lorenzo, you've beaten me there to the punch, went up while I was typing (which is a pretty laborious task).