• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
No chance he got 8 million, you would drag it out in court rather than pay up that much. He would be lucky to have been paid out his contract. RA was well within there right to sack him for breaking his contract.

Noticed how quickly this has been wrapped up since his bush fire comments? This is a lose for him and his damaged his name so much that no team in any Australian sporting code wants to touch him. The French clubs have said no way, not sure about how he would be treated in Japan. But the English clubs are about his only hope, even than they don't want the off field press.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Of course the insurer will be losers. They are every time a claim is made.
RA may have an excess but the policy limit was stated at $10 million. Also they won’t have to pay out Folau’s remaining contract (unless that was part of the agreement with the insurer.
Indeed

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The details regarding the insurance policy according to The Australian in June:

Rugby Australia won’t go broke if it loses its legal battle with Israel Folau, because it has already taken out a $10 million insurance policy to cover any damages claims.

However, the sport’s governing body could still be faced with the bleak prospect of having to cut funding to important grassroots and professional programs because the $10m covers only employment practices liability.

The Weekend Australian understands the policy does not include legal fees and the $5m in salary the former Wallaby is also seeking as part of his application to the Fair Work Commission.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I assume Raelene Castle is referring to the $8M report by Clarissa Bye being "wildly inaccurate". It did read like a guess.

S

Show-n-go

Doubt it was 8m but I feel like RC would be saying that regardless

Interesting that she’s saying anything at all, I would’ve imagined part of the agreement was not really speaking on matters such as how much the settlement was

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It seems to me that the administration goes from one screw up to the next. That RA statement looks weak. What is the point in standing up for a principle if you don't actually stand up for it. It just makes failing to address this scenario in his last contract look like more of a cock-up. Maybe RA's plan was that if they screwed this up enough, we'd all forget about the last screw up (RWC).

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
But they did stand up for it. Folau and his bigotry have been removed from sport, or at least fron RAs employ. The statement was a mutually agreed 'sorry not sorry' and that is crystal clear to anyone that's spent a minute in corporate life and frankly, probably your more discerning domesticated animals.

If RA had taken this to judgement and been hit with 10m, people would be all up in their shit beucase of how incompetent they were, never mind if they subsequently discovered they could have settled for 4m or whatever he got.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Especially given the devastating impact the court case would have had on RA, even if they won. We can only assume because he got paid a fortune not to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't really get the assertion that RA making an apology in the official statement as being some massive concession by RA. It's the most token of apologies (as is Folau's in the same piece).

RA stood up for their principles by removing Folau from the organisation due to his actions and his refusal to backtrack from that position.

At the end of the day, the money is important to RA and they have to protect that. Clearly if they paid $8m or anything approaching that it's an unmitigated disaster. I don't believe for a second they did though.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Especially given the devastating impact the court case would have had on RA, even if they won. We can only assume because he got paid a fortune not to.

What's a fortune? It's materially lower than $8 million - unless Castle is lying which would result in her being immediately fired by the board who know the real amount.

I reckon it is closer to his contract amount. Given he crowd funded defense costs, I don't think RA would have chipped in on that

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Benaud: That doesn't follow at all. He just as likely settled because some money was better than none, and he needed the face saving apology to rescue his reputation, which is lower than shit since his bushfire remarks.

I have a hard time believing that the external legal advisors that told RA they could sack him turned around less than a year later and told them they should pay him 8m.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Doubt it was 8m but I feel like RC would be saying that regardless

Interesting that she’s saying anything at all, I would’ve imagined part of the agreement was not really speaking on matters such as how much the settlement was

Personally I don't know why the amount of the settlement has to be kept confidential anyway. Of course people are going to speculate, and Castle saying $8m is "wildly inaccurate" is only going to fuel more speculation.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
What's a fortune? It's materially lower than $8 million - unless Castle is lying which would result in her being immediately fired by the board who know the real amount.

I reckon it is closer to his contract amount. Given he crowd funded defense costs, I don't think RA would have chipped in on that

I reckon the contract amount is as good a guide as we have.

B

Bobby Sands

I supported Raelene up until this point, but this is just an appalling result.

That blokes makes my stomach turn - glad to see the back of him.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I doubt she's lying. $8M read like a guess, albeit one I would have made too. The contract amount is probably about right.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I am really looking forward to the rugby press and this forum finally aborting the endless Folau handwringing and moving on to greener pastures, like knifing Castle and Rennie in the back at the next/first hint of a wobble.

Fuck me this sport needs some good news

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Do you see that light disappearing in the distance. It is Falou's career dissipation light.

He is now an over 30 athlete who won't get better and his views have effectively ruled him out of any professional sport in this country for the rest of his life.

Given his divisive views he is unlikely to gain employment as a professional athlete anywhere in the world and his off field marketability is toxic at best. He also would have been a great fit for the media but that is now gone.

I foresee a bleak future for him as he will have to make whatever he got out of RA last him for life and TBH he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I though Castles comments on Fox this morning were measured and well made she handled it well as she has for the entire debacle.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I foresee a bleak future for him as he will have to make whatever he got out of RA last him for life and TBH he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Folau is as sharp as a hammer. But he'll be a preacher man, which does have some worldly benefits.