• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It depends how you look at it.

Folau and his supporters were shooting much higher than what he would gain personally.
He was prepared to not return to the field in order to gain this breakthrough and achievement.

So why didn't he go to court then? If it was about the principle, then why pull out of the fight when a cash offer was put on the table?

It just seems like a bit of a cop out. It's like the Wallabies losing the Bledisloe, being beaten by South Africa but claiming the Puma trophy in the last game of the Rugby Championship.

Sure it's a trophy you can put in the cabinet, but is it really a victory?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So why didn't he go to court then? If it was about the principle, then why pull out of the fight when a cash offer was put on the table?

It just seems like a bit of a cop out. It's like the Wallabies losing the Bledisloe, being beaten by South Africa but claiming the Puma trophy in the last game of the Rugby Championship.

This.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I guess it's a victory when you have a certain level of lifestyle and property debts that need paying off, after having torched your chances at employment in the foreseeable future!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Its wild to think that it was about anything other than money when literally the only thing he takes away from this is money.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
A full payout of a long-term contract has to be a win of sorts. He can essentially get paid exorbitant amounts for preaching for a few years if he wants. Or if he decides to go back to footy, he'd be long odds on to find a high paying gig somewhere and just have the extra millions for free. I'm not sure the winners and losers paradigm is really suitable - both will feel they have partly won and lost - but I'd take his net result in his shoes (if it's what we're predicting).

B

Bobby Sands

Its wild to think that it was about anything other than money when literally the only thing he takes away from this is money.

He is from the 9th circle of hell, currently possessed by Voldemort.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Money must buy some really, really high moral ground, I guess. Or maybe Folau Super Rugby just wanted to expand the property portfolio, ahem, sorry, I mean Church he runs.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Apparently a token apology (that he also had to make) is worth more than any amount of money. /sarc

The apology was front and centre of Israel's requirements from the start. RA consistently refused. Hence yesterdays apology from RA tells us that Israel won big time. Remember he was standing up for a matter of his faith and his Biblical moral judgement. The apology went a long way to confirming that he was right.
Value of payout irrelevant.

The body language of Israel and Maria indicates they are very happy about something.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
RA & Castle absolutely made the right choice settling. Get this nonsense over and done with and move on. Whilst important for many, it’s not RA’s fight to set precedence for employee rights. Saying sorry cost RA sweet fuck all and affects nothing. Whereas Folau was the nut who was supposedly fighting for freedom and he’s completely caved. I’m sure his backers are really glad they gave money to illustrate what? Nothing. IF will desperately leaking a much higher figure than he received to save face, but he lost, he’s still fired & his image is tarnished forever.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The apology was front and centre of Israel's requirements from the start. RA consistently refused. Hence yesterdays apology from RA tells us that Israel won big time.

Man I can't keep up with the shifting goalposts here. Now apparently all he wanted all along was an apology. The court case and the $14m was just window dressing then it seems. OK.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Money must buy some really, really high moral ground, I guess. Or maybe Folau Super Rugby just wanted to expand the property portfolio, ahem, sorry, I mean Church he runs.

This stuff always comes down to money in the end

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Token apology?
Are you telling me that Castle doesn't mean what she says?

"Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby do not in any way agree with the content of the Social Media Post. Inclusiveness is one of Rugby’s core values and it welcomes all people to the game, including all members of the LGBTI community.
"While it was not Rugby Australia’s intention, Rugby Australia acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused to the Folaus. Similarly, Mr Folau did not intend to hurt or harm the game of rugby and acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused.

How is that anything other than token in either direction?
It's the classic token apology. You're not apologising for your actions only apologising that someone got upset by those actions.