• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The big question everyone is skirting around - why does an opinion about homosexuals needing to repent mean you must lose your job?

Come close, FF (Folau Fainga'a), no closer than that. It's quite simple: asking gay people to repent is extremely offensive, it's asking them to deny who they are. EVERYONE on this planet is entitled to their dignity, and anyone who challenges that dignity deserves to be reprimanded. Same as denigrating women/coloured people/minorities in years past; it's no longer acceptable in a modern, plural, open, tolerant and secular society. The churches may not like these attitudes in 2019, but they no longer make the laws. What Folau and his ilk don't understand is the difference between sins and crimes, best to be very clear on this point.

Mind you, we can bag Queenslanders, sauv blanc drinkers and Kiwis as much as we like. :D

S

sidelineview

Your ability to be obtuse when you don't want to answer a question is impressive.
Not complicated - if someone chooses another work of quasi-fiction as their manifesto, and quotes it causing offence to others, such as Christians, for example, would you be so blithe about it? I don't expect you to answer as I think you might lack the capacity to really consider the issue from your narrow paradigm of "It's in the Bible, so it's all cool". You're the one arguing that this is all about freedom of expression.

I thought that was what you meant originally. All you had to do was to explain.

I wont take offense at your patronising comments, I know you dont like to lose arguments.

It depends from what book someone was quoting.

If it promoted violence or hatred, then no, it wouldn't be acceptable. Like Christianity is a false religion and all Christians should be slaughtered. No.

If it was a belief that may offend someone then it would be OK probably. Like Christianity has caused more wars throughout history than any other religion and is a cancer on our society. Probably not a good example but .... that would be OK. Just someone's opinion. Turn the other cheek.

As i said, it would depend on the content.

Yes, I believe it is about freedom of expression but I'm not the only one. I think ACL has nearly 200,000 subscribers who backed Folau.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
10. If another poster does not understand or agree with your point after 3 or 4 attempts, LET IT GO, WALK AWAY. It is very boring for other posters when the thread gets hijacked by two people having an argument. Let this be your guide:

S

sidelineview

You said you were out ten pages ago. If only you had. Plwase stop it's dead

Yeah I did say that didn't I.

OK, its been an interesting discussion. I'm glad you allowed it to happen.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Come close, FF (Folau Fainga'a), no closer than that. It's quite simple: asking gay people to repent is extremely offensive, it's asking them to deny who they are. EVERYONE on this planet is entitled to their dignity, and anyone who challenges that dignity deserves to be reprimanded. Same as denigrating women/coloured people/minorities in years past; it's no longer acceptable in a modern, plural, open, tolerant and secular society. The churches may not like these attitudes in 2019, but they no longer make the laws. What Folau and his ilk don't understand is the difference between sins and crimes, best to be very clear on this point.

Mind you, we can bag Queenslanders, sauv blanc drinkers and Kiwis as much as we like. :D

Not rugby, not RA, not on topic.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought that was what you meant originally. All you had to do was to explain.

I wont take offense at your patronising comments, I know you dont like to lose arguments.

It depends from what book someone was quoting.

If it promoted violence or hatred, then no, it wouldn't be acceptable. Like Christianity is a false religion and all Christians should be slaughtered. No.

If it was a belief that may offend someone then it would be OK probably. Like Christianity has caused more wars throughout history than any other religion and is a cancer on our society. Probably not a good example but .. that would be OK. Just someone's opinion. Turn the other cheek.

As i said, it would depend on the content.

Yes, I believe it is about freedom of expression but I'm not the only one. I think ACL has nearly 200,000 subscribers who backed Folau.

Not rugby, not RA, not on topic.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
10. If another poster does not understand or agree with your point after 3 or 4 attempts, LET IT GO, WALK AWAY. It is very boring for other posters when the thread gets hijacked by two people having an argument. Let this be your guide:

Sorry.
I'll stop. Besides, the hypocrisy above is too breathtaking to even bother any more.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Here's where we are.

Every mod has had enough of this thread. But we let it go and some of us have joined in. Most believe it should be closed. We believe everything that needs to be said has and a lot of things that never had to be said have.

Please move on. This is an Australian rugby forum. Lets talk about rugby and not religion and employment law.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Here's where we are.

Every mod has had enough of this thread. But we let it go and some of us have joined in. Most believe it should be closed. We believe everything that needs to be said has and a lot of things that never had to be said have.

Please move on. This is an Australian rugby forum. Lets talk about rugby and not religion and employment law.

shit no,Ive just got some more popcorn

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
for a public company, albeit one limited by guarantee, can i just say that the disclosure of senior management roles by RA is pretty shit?

Like, Castle is CEO, I read an article about a guy called Rob Clarke that was COO but quit, then theres Cameron Murray who is CCO (but only Castle is mentioned on the site or in the annual report). Gavin, Shaw and Miller and all some variant of 'president' (mentioned in annual report but not on website). Do they work in the business or are they more analogous to board members?

Do they have a GC (prob not for a 120m business but who knows)? Would be good if at least the C-level info could be easily accessed?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway back on topic (ie rugby) I am staring to now think all this crap over it almost time we start discussing who will take Clyne's job? I know he has many critics(And maybe rightfully ,I don't really know), but now that he is going who is in line for job? And I believe it just chickenshit to say we need to get rid of someone without then having an opinion of a VIABLE alternative, so people can then see how bright we are.
I am first to say I have no idea, probably why I never called for his head ;)