• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Castle confirmed this was in the end an insurance claim, so RA paid the excess, went through the court day bullshit while their insurance company's solicitors and actuaries negotiated a commercial number to make it go away

So what you are saying is that all of this imbroglio could have been avoided with a sit down slug it out session under a tough mediator within a week of the offending post?
A week that would have ended with mutual apologies, no financial payouts, and Australia's best outside back playing in the RWC?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So what you are saying is that all of this imbroglio could have been avoided with a sit down slug it out session under a tough mediator within a week of the offending post?
A week that would have ended with mutual apologies, no financial payouts, and Australia's best outside back playing in the RWC?
How is that the conclusion you draw from his statement?

Yeesh.

They had to sack. IF chose to file a claim. They then dealt with the claim in the most expediant manner.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Come close, FF (Folau Fainga'a), no closer than that. It's quite simple: asking gay people to repent is extremely offensive, it's asking them to deny who they are. EVERYONE on this planet is entitled to their dignity, and anyone who challenges that dignity deserves to be reprimanded. Same as denigrating women/coloured people/minorities in years past; it's no longer acceptable in a modern, plural, open, tolerant and secular society. The churches may not like these attitudes in 2019, but they no longer make the laws. What Folau and his ilk don't understand is the difference between sins and crimes, best to be very clear on this point.

Mind you, we can bag Queenslanders, sauv blanc drinkers and Kiwis as much as we like. :D

Well said Lindo. But I would include Latte coffee drinkers as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Nah, RA's terrible contract negotiations (he signed a new contract with nothing specific about this stuff (they aren't allowed to put performance "penalties" into player contract but they could have made a good chunk his wage a bonus contingent on him keeping religious beliefs to himself)). Add to that their policies wouldn't allow for mutually contradictory moral positions to survive, so he was gone from pretty well the first moment.

It then came down money and negotiation for him to go away

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
How is that the conclusion you draw from his statement?

Yeesh.

They had to sack. IF chose to file a claim. They then dealt with the claim in the most expediant manner.

Sorry, was trying to be too smart by half.
I was using the Cathy Walsh technique when she tried to outsmart professor Jordan Peterson and use the phrase "So what you are saying" to put words in his mouth.
The scenario is mine alone.
I reckon it would have worked.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Sorry, was trying to be too smart by half.
I was using the Cathy Walsh technique when she tried to outsmart professor Jordan Peterson and use the phrase "So what you are saying" to put words in his mouth.
The scenario is mine alone.
I reckon it would have worked.

It's not too far off the truth

If Folau had
- not refused to answer any contact from RA for 3 days
- pulled down the post
- apologised as per the final settlement

He'd probably still be playing for the Wallabies

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Man, not gonna lie. Burning forever doesn't sound great.

Nothing forever sounds good. Floating around Paradise as a disembodied intellect as part of holistic collection of individual experiences and knowledge, even if you then know all the answers to the big questions, seems exactly like Hell to me, (unless it is a never ending discussion of things rugby of course - but isn't that what we already have on this thread?).

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
It's not too far off the truth

If Folau had
- not refused to answer any contact from RA for 3 days
- pulled down the post
- apologised as per the final settlement

He'd probably still be playing for the Wallabies

Flogging the dead horse again, but here I go: disregarding Folau being a nutbag off the field, I would have been quite happy with his contract not being renewed to start with. I thought he was paid bulk overs, and feel like the money could have been better used to retain other players heading OS (also ignoring the grassroots issue here).

So I was actually pretty stoked that he wasn't in the RWC squad. I was much happier having KB (Kurtley Beale) (ignoring his indiscretions) and DHP at fullback. Folau was a good player, but he wouldn't have made any difference to the toweling we got in the England game. As an outside back, he wouldn't have made a difference against Wales either.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nothing forever sounds good. Floating around Paradise as a disembodied intellect as part of holistic collection of individual experiences and knowledge, even if you then know all the answers to the big questions, seems exactly like Hell to me, (unless it is a never ending discussion of things rugby of course - but isn't that what we already have on this thread?).

Hell is other people.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I remember this old movie Black Robe, where this Jesuit missionary was travelling through North America during colonial times. In one scene he was discussing the Native American afterlife with another European and I have to say the Native American version sounded a lot more appealing than the traditional Christian heaven.

Mind you, for sheer heartbreaking beauty I don't think you can go past what was portrayed in The Lovely Bones.

Anyway.

It doesn't look like the conclusion of the Folau saga looks like being the end of RA's headaches. In fact, based on this I'd say they were heading for a full-blown migraine:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/4e367fbfd920e7fba7e65e7e81ae2b3f

Okay, so the headline may be a little alarmist but I just wonder where in hell Raelene Castle thinks she can find another broadcaster to cough up $100m on top of Foxtel's offer. I also note with a certain schadenfreude that the broadcast rights are apparently less valuable than last time because with no Force on the table, there's less games to broadcast and therefore less worth to the broadcaster.

Who'd have thunk it?

(As an aside, with all of this talk about RA's values of "diversity" and "inclusiveness" it's interesting how they don't seem to be for diversity on geographical grounds. Just a thought.)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dunno what the article says but it's a Murdoch one so whatever it is saying is probably whatever is in Foxtel's best interests.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That said: I've had some good Kiwi sauv blanc, though maybe that was due to being IN the country at the time AND therefore viewing everything with rosé tinted glasses

:)

No, most of the best Sav Blanc in the world is Kiwi. A good reason to try another grape.

Though I quite like sancere. Doesn’t match the Marlborough versions but has a certain low-brow something.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Flogging the dead horse again, but here I go: disregarding Folau being a nutbag off the field, I would have been quite happy with his contract not being renewed to start with. I thought he was paid bulk overs, and feel like the money could have been better used to retain other players heading OS (also ignoring the grassroots issue here).

So I was actually pretty stoked that he wasn't in the RWC squad. I was much happier having KB (Kurtley Beale) (ignoring his indiscretions) and DHP at fullback. Folau was a good player, but he wouldn't have made any difference to the toweling we got in the England game. As an outside back, he wouldn't have made a difference against Wales either.

But.......... but.........

What if he had been......... captain?