• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
If a title win didn't get bums on seats, a foreign qualified player with disciplinary issues certainly won't.
Imagine if the Latrel Mitchell rumour is true too. I question the short term gain against long term gain. It's a young squad that needs role models, not Prima Donnas

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah a bit ironic really, happy to discuss the topic but keep your opinion about me and comments like this to yourself In the future.

This is a good news story :) Australian rugby needs more of them.

When Dan Braid came to the Reds he instilled the ethic and mentality of the Blues, one of the most underrated contributors to the Reds championship side.

Naka might not be the same hard working player (im not sure) but he is a class above Braid in terms of excellence. Imagine his value to a young Tahs pack!

B

Bobby Sands

If a title win didn't get bums on seats, a foreign qualified player with disciplinary issues certainly won't.

If this is the mentality of the Tahs you should wrap the franchise up completely!!!

The title was the highest point in the Tahs storied history - wow - what a comment..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

When Luke Braid came to the Reds he instilled the ethic and mentality of the Blues, one of the most underrated contributors to the Reds championship side.

Naka might not be the same hard working player (im not sure) but he is a class above Braid in terms of excellence. Imagine his value to a young Tahs pack!

"At Racing, the only star is the team," said the statement. "Leone Nakarawa's egocentric attitude is unacceptable. It denotes a total lack of team spirit and blatant insubordination."

B

Bobby Sands

"At Racing, the only star is the team," said the statement. "Leone Nakarawa's egocentric attitude is unacceptable. It denotes a total lack of team spirit and blatant insubordination."

Crimea river.

He stayed in Fiji for a few extra weeks after winning European player of the year. It was a big year for the big man - not ideal that he didn't come back on time - but a player doesn't reach those heights by being lazy. From all accounts that were pretty happy with him the last few years!!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'd be hesitant to take any French club's word about culture. I can't imagine Paris would've been a particularly friendly and understanding place for Nakarawa. I'd expect the Waratahs would be much more welcoming & adaptable to his attitudes and culture.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sounds like a good pick-up from a playing POV.
Penny seems pretty grounded so should be able to keep on top of any "cultural" issues.
I agree with others that it seems odd to see these non-Wallaby eligible players popping up at several franchises, seemingly against rules laid out in recent times.
But if it's fair game, could be a good prospect for a Potgeiter style point of difference.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

When Luke Braid came to the Reds he instilled the ethic and mentality of the Blues, one of the most underrated contributors to the Reds championship side.

But didn’t the Reds go on to win a title?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Huh last title win did get bums on seats - issue is not much in between as lack of quality - disciplinary issues yes worth calling out but you don’t win titles without quality and you don’t attract fans if not winning esp fickle oz fans

B

Bobby Sands

But didn’t the Reds go on to win a title?

Yeah exactly... but he game in 2009 or 2010.. when we were a young side, but we didn't know the standards required to go to the next level.

This is the obvious parallel to bringing in a world class player???

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sounds like a good pick-up from a playing POV.
Penny seems pretty grounded so should be able to keep on top of any "cultural" issues.
I agree with others that it seems odd to see these non-Wallaby eligible players popping up at several franchises, seemingly against rules laid out in recent times.
But if it's fair game, could be a good prospect for a Potgeiter style point of difference.
Yep still recall won last title with potgeiter...i here you about rules but maybe just me that the tight border control policy is what is wrong with super rugby - think Europe and English and French pro comps without such restrictions - not saying we move to extreme of that model but allowing a few marquees to me makes sense - say with proviso that if play in super rugby comp eligible for home nations honours..

B

Bobby Sands

If I remember correctly Eddie Jones wanted to bring Jauzion to the Reds? He thought he could add so much nous that would turbo charge their development. Obviously it didn't happen. Eddie also nearly got a 19 year old Duane Vermeulen to the Reds.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
New tahs coach said they were looking for a dominant 3, 8 and an outside I think?

So far they got faulker....who i really hope isn't that dominant tight head, no dominant ball running back rower (so Leon/Holloway could do lock/8) andddddd not additional strike back.

Hopefulyl they are still shopping.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
My rise to the top has commenced, and it will only be a matter of time before I am CEO of both the Waratahs, NSW Rugby, and Rugby Australia.
Aus Rugby Timeline Under CEO Pfitzy

Day 1. Addresses players: "Sorry, you'll have to take a pay cut. We've poured all the money into grassroots rugby."

Day 2: All the wob stars bugger off to Toulon.

Year 1: Aus lose tests to EVERYONE.

Year 2: Pfitzy is fired due to poor onfield results

Year 3-10: Aus endure 10 years of abject misery, plummetting in the rankings.

Year 11: suddenly, brilliant crops of players start appearing, sending the Wobs rocketing to the top of the rugby world. Pfitzy is back on GAGR claiming credit. His solar panels biz is going great guns. Then the sun explodes.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
New tahs coach said they were looking for a dominant 3, 8 and an outside I think?

So far they got faulker..who i really hope isn't that dominant tight head, no dominant ball running back rower (so Leon/Holloway could do lock/8) andddddd not additional strike back.

Hopefulyl they are still shopping.
Faulkner is a LHP prop is he not? Both Robertson and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) started it at THPs and don't see too many available options there. The other positions depend on whether they snag Leon and Latrel

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Faulkner played both for the Force. Mostly at THP. He had some good seasons and some average. He's not the greatest, but he's in the Kepu ballpark.