• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Crimea river.

Cute.

Some would say this role of ‘mentor’ and demonstrating of work ethic, would be achieved by a player who wasn’t just sacked by his team for demonstrating a “lack of team spirit and blatant insubordination”, reportedly not his first incident either.

Some would say that ‘mentor’ could be a player like little known Michael Hooper.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Faulkner played both for the Force. Mostly at THP. He had some good seasons and some average. He's not the greatest, but he's in the Kepu ballpark.

If Kepu was in the Ball Park, Faulkner was in the car park. In 2019, at best he was the no. 6 LHP (behind Sio, Slipper, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gibbon and Robertson) and no.5 THP behind Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Thor, Ainsley) - though as Slipper CAN play THP, he is behind him there as well. Even old dogs like Maafu and Holmes would still hold down the TH side of a scrum better. He is a useful utility front row member and therefore an asset to the team, however- not a dominant THP IMO. In conjuction with the likely loss of Latu, the Tahs front row in 2020 is an alarming downgrade of 2019.

B

Bobby Sands

Cute.

Some would say this role of ‘mentor’ and demonstrating of work ethic, would be achieved by a player who wasn’t just sacked by his team for demonstrating a “lack of team spirit and blatant insubordination”, reportedly not his first incident either.

Some would say that ‘mentor’ could be a player like little known Michael Hooper.

This is tired.

He was European player of the year last season.

If you don't rate him, cool, I personally think it would be a great signing.

Glad to hear your opinion - I am sure you have a good insight on it all.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It did though - temporarily.

Winning would certainly help.

Yes, but Round 1 in 2015 was a paltry 17,000 for the reigning champions.

Problem was a nice Sunday summer afternoon in Sydney, so the "fans" clearly had to get to the beach.

That's the real issue with rugby being eastern suburbs - the fucking aspiration ;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Aus Rugby Timeline Under CEO Pfitzy

Day 1. Addresses players: "Sorry, you'll have to take a pay cut. We've poured all the money into grassroots rugby."

Day 2: All the wob stars bugger off to Toulon.

Year 1: Aus lose tests to EVERYONE.

Year 2: Pfitzy is fired due to poor onfield results

Year 3-10: Aus endure 10 years of abject misery, plummetting in the rankings.

Year 11: suddenly, brilliant crops of players start appearing, sending the Wobs rocketing to the top of the rugby world. Pfitzy is back on GAGR claiming credit. His solar panels biz is going great guns. Then the sun explodes.

I've got the sun exploding in Year 7 of your plan.

Slowcoach.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
If Kepu was in the Ball Park, Faulkner was in the car park. In 2019, at best he was the no. 6 LHP (behind Sio, Slipper, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gibbon and Robertson) and no.5 THP behind Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Thor, Ainsley) - though as Slipper CAN play THP, he is behind him there as well. Even old dogs like Maafu and Holmes would still hold down the TH side of a scrum better. He is a useful utility front row member and therefore an asset to the team, however- not a dominant THP IMO. In conjuction with the likely loss of Latu, the Tahs front row in 2020 is an alarming downgrade of 2019.
The loss of Kepu and Latu is huge, and the front row will be weakened, but it comes down to who is off contract and available, and I don't see any Australian THPs on the market. If the NRC is a guide, Robbo will play LHP and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) THP with Faulkner a bench/backup option

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah exactly. but he game in 2009 or 2010.. when we were a young side, but we didn't know the standards required to go to the next level.

This is the obvious parallel to bringing in a world class player???

I probably should’ve mentioned that Luke Braid never played for the Reds.........

But the Blues weren’t exactly the most dominant team in that period either.

B

Bobby Sands

I probably should’ve mentioned that Luke Braid never played for the Reds...

But the Blues weren’t exactly the most dominant team in that period either.

Oh wow, a disingenuous comment like that? How fun.

His big brother Dan, ie the only Braid to play in Australia & one who had been part of many famous Blues sides. If you want to read the anecdotes about training from the time you can.

Hope it made you feel very clever.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
His big brother Dan, ie the only Braid to play in Australia & one who had been part of many famous Blues sides.

He debuted for them in what would be the final season of their golden era in 2003, and there’s certainly been no famous Blues sides since.........

Just ask Dismal.........

Regardless, my initial gag clearly missed the mark.

B

Bobby Sands

He debuted for them in what would be the final season of their golden era in 2003, and there’s certainly been no famous Blues sides since...

Just ask Dismal...

At the time, there was an anecdote that came out where the forwards were doing scrum practise after training when the backs were already in the sheds. One of the Reds players said, "Lets pack two more than call it a day." After they packed the two scrums Braid apparently said to the group, "If this were the Blues we would stay here for another hour." So thats what they did.

Ask anyone around Balleymore at the time and Dan Braid is a pretty mythical figure.

B

Bobby Sands

He debuted for them in what would be the final season of their golden era in 2003, and there’s certainly been no famous Blues sides since...

Just ask Dismal...

Keep in mind he debuted for the All Blacks in 2002, and was playing NPC with Auckland from 2001.

Players like Kees Meuws, Mealamu, Woodcock, Ali Williams, Troy Flavell, Ron Crib, Carlos Spencer, Howlett, Caucau, Joe Rocko, Mils.....

He came through at the time of the best ever Auckland side in history, so I have no idea what your point is.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just taking a look over Tahs squad - gees pretty ordinary and not much star quality. Thank goodness for Sunwolves as otherwise be raging favourites for wooden spoon in oz conference. Sorry this is probably one of worse Tahs squads in years. Appreciate rebuilding so if bring youth through maybe worth the pain but just not sure got enough youth talent either with x factor.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Alright, I'll wrap this up here because it's gone way off topic for too long.........

You wrote.........

When Dan Braid came to the Reds he instilled the ethic and mentality of the Blues

Which led me to joke..........

But didn’t the Reds go on to win a title?

The point being that the Blues were largely an underperforming mid table rabble through the majority of Braid's career there.........

I am completely aware that in his first season there the Blues were quite a force, but after that debut year they finished 5th, 7th, 8th, 4th and 6th in his time there.

But here we are.......... the end......... I'm walking away from the PC.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rubbish, Faulkner is not is in the same "ballpark" as Kepu, Faulker is a Super Rugby squadie, Kepu is a 100 test wallaby
Will have to agree to disagree. Kepu in his final years was picked for his versatility and experience and was a liability at times for various reasons. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Faulkner.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Just taking a look over Tahs squad - gees pretty ordinary and not much star quality. Thank goodness for Sunwolves as otherwise be raging favourites for wooden spoon in oz conference. Sorry this is probably one of worse Tahs squads in years. Appreciate rebuilding so if bring youth through maybe worth the pain but just not sure got enough youth talent either with x factor.

Doing a video on this in the next few days, very hard to find some strengths.. Good dose of Junior Wallabies in the squad tho.

B

Bobby Sands

Alright, I'll wrap this up here because it's gone way off topic for too long...

You wrote...

Which led me to joke....

The point being that the Blues were largely an underperforming mid table rabble through the majority of Braid's career there...

I am completely aware that in his first season there the Blues were quite a force, but after that debut year they finished 5th, 7th, 8th, 4th and 6th in his time there.

But here we are.... the end... I'm walking away from the PC.

I know its hard to admit you are wrong, but you should be used to it by now.

He was part of the Auckland NPC side from 2001 with the entire Super Rugby squad - Im not sure if you understand how NZ rugby programs work - but just to assured you look silly.