• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cameron is coming to the end of his time and from what I have read he is not going to stand again or is not allowed to stand again I am not sure which.

Can someone explain how or what the procedure is to elect a new chair.

What are the governance procedures and who gets to vote.

Thanks in advance I have a vague but not detailed understanding and would appreciate having a better understanding of the process.

I'm with you. As a fee-paying member of Rugby Australia, do I get a say?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So, to change the subject.

The Australian has claimed that John O'Neill has been tapped by a few board members to return as Chair, but he wants to pick his CEO and his board.

If the incompetence of our board has not been established to this point, that would certainly confirm it.

What have these people been smoking?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This is the article: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...e/news-story/df5dadf4de2db7814c133dbe03cabdb8

Former Rugby Australia boss John O’Neill has been approached to take over as chairman of the struggling code but is understood to be asking to pick his own CEO and board to get the game back on track and negotiate a new broadcast deal.

The movements come as Optus focuses on landing European football rights and Socceroos World Cup qualifiers ahead of rugby union rights under new CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin.

Several are also understood to be pushing for Castle to be replaced as CEO at the same time, with former Wallaby captain Phil Kearns consistently mentioned as a contender.

Those familiar with negotiations say O’Neill has made it clear he would only return if he were given the right to choose the CEO, the board and have no board elections for four years.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Several are also understood to be pushing for Castle to be replaced as CEO at the same time, with former Wallaby captain Phil Kearns consistently mentioned as a contender.

Get absolutely fucked. These faceless idiots should grow some balls and put their names out there if they were actually serious about replacing Castle. Otherwise I treat this as Journo's and Kearns drumming up shit.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I hatelove this code. Get a ripper coaching set up secured that appears to be able to rattle the lazy status quo, then we get that level of sniping bullshit from clearly conflicted interests who always fail to note said conflicts.

I will deadset walk to Sydney, shit in my hand, then use my crayon to graffiti anti-Kearns diatribes on the RA front door if that trog comes within a hoot of the leadership.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pro Rugby deserves to die a death in this country if Phil Kearns is hired.

If you can believe the stories about how well (*not*) his application process and interview went last time, and I do, this would be RA retrograde-stepping right up its own clacker.
That's before we even start on O'Neill and his self-awarded golden parachute last time around.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
What's with all the beef on Castle?

As far as I can tell she's the only competent one there! Rennie said as much, and considering the efforts/fighting fund etc she's set up to retain this batch of youngsters coming through I don't get why people aren't cheering her on?

Unless the old boys network think she's too competent and want her gone so they can make the Shute Shield the only pathway for rugby again?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

As far as I can tell she's the only competent one there! Rennie said as much, and considering the efforts/fighting fund etc she's set up to retain this batch of youngsters coming through I don't get why people aren't cheering her on?

Unless the old boys network think she's too competent and want her gone so they can make the Shute Shield the only pathway for rugby again?
Entrenched rugby deadwood and their cheerleaders like Jones etc... white-anting out of pure self-interest and feeling threatened by someone from outside their circle-jerk of mediocrity.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Castle has seemingly made a number of really positive calls in her time as CEO and I'm fully behind her, despite the naysayers. Simply look at how many super promising u20s and u18s we have signed in her time at the top, and the pathways and programs and funds that she has set up to retain this talent. These kids would've been lost during Pulvers reign.

Shamefully, I've started watching more and more league in the last 18 months.

If Phil Kearns is chosen as CEO of Australian Rugby or if John O'Neill is chosen as Chairman and given his way, I will only be watching rugby league in Australia.

It would diabolical for the code, and arrogant nepotism from those at the top.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Entrenched rugby deadwood and their cheerleaders like Jones etc. white-anting out of pure self-interest and feeling threatened by someone from outside their circle-jerk of mediocrity.

A lot of the noise is coMing from outside of the sport, including Ben Fordham and Andrew Webster.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A lot of the noise is coMing from outside of the sport, including Ben Fordham and Andrew Webster.

You do know where Ben Fordham works and where his dog-whistle probably came from? Webster had a different agenda, and also is mainly from the "Shit on rugby because NRL" band of white-noise, so anything to stir the pot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If Phil Kearns is chosen as CEO of Australian Rugby or if John O'Neill is chosen as Chairman and given his way, I will only be watching rugby league in Australia.

Wouldn't it be best to judge any change by their actions in those roles? JON on the board would not be an outrageous choice - I would rather some actual rugby management experience on the thing and 14 years as CEO gives him that, but I would prefer to see someone like David Gallop take the role; and Kearns? Well he comes across as a fan and boofhead in commentary but he has been running businesses for quite a while. I don't know how good he is at that stuff

That said castle has been adequate

Whatever they do, they can't win really

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
and Kearns? Well he comes across as a fan and boofhead in commentary but he has been running businesses for quite a while. I don't know how good he is at that stuff

Stellar!

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...andrew-mehrtens-winds-up-20160401-gnw2dn.html

Defence Housing Australia has received another setback with the managers of a $50 million pilot unlisted defence housing property fund set up by rugby union legends Phil Kearns and Andrew Mehrtens being wound up.

The decision to wind up the 10-year fund after only two years has come to light at the same time as the government has revealed there is an investigation into the government business enterprise by the Australian Federal Police.

It was revealed this week that the Department of Finance had called in the AFP to investigate a suspect transaction at DHA uncovered during a forensic review of DHA's accounts by insolvency experts KordaMentha​ that commenced in August last year.

Reactions: Tex

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Probably because shes a Kiwi.

Racism is a big ol thing Aus.