• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One issue is Optus would have to pay all the production costs too, something they're not used to - at least with the EPL.

Given our local broadcaster shares the production cost for distribution to the other overseas (Sky Sports and SuperSport) - with Foxsports leaving this might give us the leverage needed to piss South Africa off and go Trans-Tasman only with maybe a Japanese team(s) thrown in.

S

Show-n-go

But then I don’t understand who still listens to the radio?

You never cease to amaze me

I would’ve thought you were a $1:01 special to falling asleep every night to the political commentary of triple J radio

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Further to this issue, I feel it’s another example of Castle being ‘damned if you do, damned if you don’t.’ Only in Australian rugby can someone like her be slammed for inaction and sending Australian rugby bankrupt, while also simultaneously getting slammed for putting feelers out and pitching hard for a better broadcast deal. It’s just laughable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think we're really starting to see how parochial (actually we've always known this), insular and borderline incestuous rugby is in this country. The level of white-anting going in the code right is fucking embarrassing. Clearly we've never properly made the jump to professionalism.
Well we pay our players - but yeah, the rest never really followed.

What does white-anting mean btw?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think we're really starting to see how parochial (actually we've always known this), insular and borderline incestuous rugby is in this country. The level of white-anting going in the code right is fucking embarrassing. Clearly we've never properly made the jump to professionalism.

Ding ding!

WE got a slight jump on the rest of the world in the late 90's after importing a little bit from league defensive coaches. Other than paying players, that's about all we did, and that effect wore off a few years later when everyone else did the same.

Only one try conceded in the whole 99 World Cup....sigh

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ding ding!

WE got a slight jump on the rest of the world in the late 90's after importing a little bit from league defensive coaches. Other than paying players, that's about all we did, and that effect wore off a few years later when everyone else did the same.

Only one try conceded in the whole 99 World Cup..sigh

Same with women 7s. Jumped ahead early but now back in the pack.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
We reached peak professionalism in 1999. Then we went full-blown private school idiot when we realised the potential of the game. More so than rowing.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Further to this issue, I feel it’s another example of Castle being ‘damned if you do, damned if you don’t.’ Only in Australian rugby can someone like her be slammed for inaction and sending Australian rugby bankrupt, while also simultaneously getting slammed for putting feelers out and pitching hard for a better broadcast deal. It’s just laughable.

Raelene Castle came out in February this year big announcement to the press that they were in talks to have schoolboy rugby broadcast on television. Appreciate that this was never going to be a money spinner but more promotional and exposure exercise, with a cheap and cheerful outside broadcast spend.

https://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/26032778/rugby-australia-keen-broadcast-schoolboy-rugby

It's now December and nothing, that would be a talking a big game and not delivering.

There is a reason why people lack confidence.

Also to rehash an earlier post I don't believe Rugby Australia have secured any new sponsors off the back of their stance on 'inclusion' if they did it would give confidence.

If the CEO and Directors are overseeing a well run operation that has made a courageous stand, opted for the hard decision over the easy one, is it then unreasonable that there would be more organisations wanting to associate with Australian Rugby via sponsorship, given its principled stand.

To me this is where the rubber hits the road, in the whole Folau drama, for Rugby Australia.

Raelene and Cameron need to hit the phones tomorrow, maybe Peter Fitzsimmons and Liz Ellis can lend a hand as well.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Raelene Castle came out in February this year big announcement to the press that they were in talks to have schoolboy rugby broadcast on television. Appreciate that this was never going to be a money spinner but more promotional and exposure exercise, with a cheap and cheerful outside broadcast spend.

https://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/26032778/rugby-australia-keen-broadcast-schoolboy-rugby

It's now December and nothing, that would be a talking a big game and not delivering.

There is a reason why people lack confidence.

Kenny, this is from the original article:

“ It would be highly unlikely for GPS rugby to make it to air next season but a new broadcast deal will come into effect at the start of 2021 and clearly RA officials are hoping to have it arranged well before then.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/366b75c243f2894a32339572966f5693

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

“ It would be highly unlikely for GPS rugby to make it to air next season but a new broadcast deal will come into effect at the start of 2021 and clearly RA officials are hoping to have it arranged well before then.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/366b75c243f2894a32339572966f5693

Hush child - there's no stopping the outrage train. Just let it steam on through.

Thing that always blows me away is that no one ever gets outraged by things that fucken matter. I couldn't see the building next to mine in the Sydney CBD today - not a peep from from the PM, or anyone that matters or could maybe do a thing to address the Sydney sized fucking fire down the road.

Nah, we get a religious freedom bill announced. The cinders of this fucked up country are going to be so damn free.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)

I'll read between the lines for you on this one.

Is GPS Schoolboy Rugby a product that the ARU 'contractually' own and can sell to Foxtel or anyone else?

It is a confidence sapping statement by a CEO who is out of their depth when it comes to items of a 'contractual' nature.

New sponsors to the ARU off the back of their principled stand? That would stop the outrage train.

The other thing that I find puzzling about the whole episode is that the Instagram post in question remains up and published. Not deemed offensive enough by Instagram to remove.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Next off topic post will get the poster banned.
This has been done, dusted, re-animated, buried enough times.
MOVE ON.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'll read between the lines for you on this one.

Is GPS Schoolboy Rugby a product that the ARU 'contractually' own and can sell to Foxtel or anyone else?

It is a confidence sapping statement by a CEO who is out of their depth when it comes to items of a 'contractual' nature.

New sponsors to the ARU off the back of their principled stand? That would stop the outrage train.

The other thing that I find puzzling about the whole episode is that the Instagram post in question remains up and published. Not deemed offensive enough by Instagram to remove.

Try posting this stuff in this thread.
Cheers

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/broadcast-options-for-australian-rugby.11626/