• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My concern with KB (Kurtley Beale)'s @ 10 is when he overplays his hand, gets lateral trying to run around teams, he needs options.

He needs a couple of "running backs" who he can hand off to, let them get over the advantage line and look for opportunities with the next plays

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
That is the talk, if so, you build the backs around him and realistically he has been 60% a 10 for the last couple of years as the second play maker

Stick Hunt at 15 and he can drop in to do the defensive heavy lifting off set piece. It could work - most sides hide their 10 to some extent

We keep forgetting he got the Tahs to an Super Rugby final playing 10

I'm curious where the talk is coming from? The only media article I've read recently that alluded to this was Penney suggesting that KB (Kurtley Beale) could 'fill a hole' at 10.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
My concern with KB (Kurtley Beale)'s @ 10 is when he overplays his hand, gets lateral trying to run around teams, he needs options.

He needs a couple of "running backs" who he can hand off to, let them get over the advantage line and look for opportunities with the next plays
That's my concern too. I think his best position is 15 being one of those running backs creating opportunities, but your starting backline looks most likely based on the cattle we have

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

And a forward pack that has a bit of mongrel. Hopefully a game plan that isn't one-out-shit.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
He was an excellent school boys centre who played most of his NRL as an edge backrower (which is essentially a 12) He only got pushed in closer and the Eels depth increased

He can be that unit initially there to get over the advantage line to set up the following play

I can imagine starting with the kids coming off the bench

Gorden
Beale
Newsome
Tepai
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Clark
Hunt

Has two dads re-signed?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is starting next season we're in big trouble.

9. Gordon
10. Beale
11. Newsome
12. Tepai
13. Foketi
14. Clark
15. Hunt

21. Short
22. Mason/Harrison
23. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is starting next season we're in big trouble.

9. Gordon
10. Beale
11. Newsome
12. Tepai
13. Foketi
14. Clark
15. Hunt

21. Short
22. Mason/Harrison
23. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)
Missing a strike winger there imo. No one who can create something from nothing if Beale is locked into 10 without space.

B

Bobby Sands

Missing a strike winger there imo. No one who can create something from nothing if Beale is locked into 10 without space.

All the "strike" wingers are in QLD now it seems. Daugunu, Speight, Vunivalu shortly.

We might need to play with two strike wingers in future :eek: the equilibrium of back three play might be completely thrown out of whack. Watch this space...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ill admit I don't know what a strike winger is.. But Koroibete is in Melbourne and now the best winger in Australia Rugby. I'm pretty interested to see how Solomone Kata goes at the Brumbies, if he can sort out his fitness he will be a real weapon. I also have big wraps on Nawaganitawase, although 2020 might be a season too early for him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah, I see that as a potential starting point. I expect one or two to be replaced as the season goes on

But as to a "strike winger", it is nice to have but I want to see the team manipulating defenses instead of hoping a winger can beat 8 to score a miracle try

Like this one @ 1.12 move the ball to space, back up and support

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah, I see that as a potential starting point. I expect one or two to be replaced as the season goes on

But as to a "strike winger", it is nice to have but I want to see the team manipulating defenses instead of hoping a winger can beat 8 to score a miracle try

Like this one @ 1.12 move the ball to space, back up and support

Yep. When we won in 2014, we had Alofa Alofa and Rob Horne on the wings. Both very fine players, no doubt, but not really what we would consider strike wingers a la Cheslin Kolbe or Sevu Reeve.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Had a go at breaking down the Tahs season. Tried to be as honest and critical as possible, I'm sure I've stuffed some things up tho. The man with the best name in super rugby also features Nawaqanitawase ;) Enjoy :)

Nice work.

You missed Will Harris from the under 20s. I think he'll be just ahead of Pat Tafa. I tend to think Dempsey will be the first choice number 8 though and Swinton and Hanigan will battle it out for the 6 jersey. There's a reasonable chance one of them will play lock though.

I think the likely first choice 23 will be something like:

1. Robertson
2. Fitzpatrick
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Simmons
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Beale
11. Newsome
12. Hunt
13. Foketi
14. Clark
15. Hunt

16. Abel 17. Faulkner 18. Talakai 19. Staniforth 20. Holloway 21. Short 22. Harrison 23. Moeroa/Nawaqanitawase

Depending on whether AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) eventually signs he might fit in somewhere but it's getting harder to see him in the starting XV. Moeroa could certainly be eased into it and it wouldn't be surprising to see him not start the season in the starting XV.

Likewise Harris and Tafa are options in the backrow.