• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2020

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Let's hope commonsense prevails and there is one less bye in the draw for the 2020 season to avoid a clash with the Ag Races, I agree that would be financial suicide to clash with that date. A quick look at the confirmed dates means that with the current draw, the first 10 weeks of the season would see 6 games and all 4 general competition byes.

On another note, there's an ad on FB for a DO role in SIRU. Is this a new role?

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Let's hope commonsense prevails and there is one less bye in the draw for the 2020 season to avoid a clash with the Ag Races, I agree that would be financial suicide to clash with that date. A quick look at the confirmed dates means that with the current draw, the first 10 weeks of the season would see 6 games and all 4 general competition byes.

On another note, there's an ad on FB for a DO role in SIRU. Is this a new role?

Zac is has been re-imagined in to a position in Canberra

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Two years back we had a presentation night after the Ag Races. It was not pretty.

The pragmatic thing is not to go head to head with Ag Races (or even the RFL GF) and schedule a GF for 12 September. And that means one of the byes will have to go. Presently clubs will have a total of 6 byes in the course of a season. Easter and Anzac day are no go zones. June long weekend has rep rugby allocated anyway. Sadly I suspect the City v Country game will have to be the one that goes.

The development officer position is vital. Our code is very much under the pump in the media and very much in the backstage when it comes to being in the minds of the sporting public. Having the right person at the coal face , getting the word out that rugby is the game to play to kids and schools is of the utmost importance. AFL & NRL and Soccer are all having a massive dig at developing player bases. We need to be there as well.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Zac is has been re-imagined in to a position in Canberra

Good on him, he always wanted to take further steps up the chain, hopefully this is the first.

I wonder what the next options are for DO's in this area? We've certainly had some talent fill those shoes over the years, I wonder if there's some value in partnering with the Rebels in some regard? Possibly a secondment or similar from NSW, Brumbies, Rebels or the ARU? It's all ARU money anyway.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
The school market is hard. Soccer is always popular with parents because of its lack of contact nature. In government schools league sort of has an established position. AFL and rugby union are competing for available space left in sports time in NSW schools. We saw the Wagga high schools rugby competition held during mid 4th term when the weather is hot and the fields are dry and hard. AFL is putting huge funds into development. Rugby money goes in large part to maintaining an unpopular super rugby competition. Despite the ARU crying poor a million dollar contract just been signed by a Melbourne Storm winger to start playing rugby union in 2021.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Schools are hard no doubt. But what should we do ? Run up the white flag and let nature take its course ? People still want to play rugby - its got a lot of good points and the growth of the womens game is extremely heartening. As far as the most social game to play, its a hands down winner. The schools comp , was from my limited observation, a resounding sucess despite the heat and the state of Connolly. Rugby was the lone game in town, not challenged by any other code for players. And dare i say it , it looked like the kids were having a ball. Parents were there watching, reps from the clubs were watching, kids hung around and watched other games. You couldnt get a park up there ! Thats how we need to build the game up. The weather and the ground are relatively minor points in the conversation - weve concentrated on the negative and not the vast amount of positives.

As for super rugby ? Well i reckon if Waratahs and Reds won more games it would help. If there was a game on free to air it would help . If we didnt play obscure south african sides at 3am it would help. It would also help if we didnt spend big dollars on outside backs when its pretty obvious that we lack genuine 10's in our teams !

Coach88

Frank Row (1)
Just some participation data that was shared with clubs from 2016 (end of last DO) to 2019 (end of current DO):

Junior Participation – Club:

832 playing tackle (U7s through to U16s)
122 playing Touch 7s (U10s through to U16s)

867 playing tackle (U7s through to U16s)
240 playing Touch 7s (U10s through to U16s)

882 playing tackle (U6s through to U16s)
285 playing Touch 7s (U10s through to U16s)

1023 playing tackle (U6s through to U16s)
315 playing Touch 7s (U10s through to U16s)

22% increase in junior tackle in 4 years (bucks’ national trend)
158% increase in junior touch 7s in 4 years (bucks’ national trend)

Senior Participation – Club:

776 playing tackle (men and women)

757 playing tackle (men and women

850 playing tackle (men and women)

936 playing tackle (men and women)

20% increase in senior club tackle participation across 4 years (bucks’ national trend)

In School Activations (Get into Rugby/Touch 7s/Tackle 7s)

634 participants over the year

2163 participants over the year

1635 participants over the year

4958 participants over the year

682% increase in participation of in school activations over 4 years.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Playing a high school rugby competition final on an unmarked field resembling a brown paddock leaving spectators and players feeling they deserved better. In a regional city. Bubba?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I saw the infographic that was done up for the AGM recently and definitely had some questions about the Senior figures. I suspect the growth that's happening in the Senior Competition is solely based around the Women's 10 a side Competition (which is definitely a good thing).

From what I've seen, I'd argue that the Senior Men's Competition is actually shrinking - unrelated to clubs to the North of Wagga re-locating to the CW Competition. There just doesn't seem to be as many bodies running around anymore.

I'd also suggest that the Albury Steamers deserve a particular mention for their drive for the Viva Competition pushing up Junior participation numbers/in-school activations.

As always, the devil is in the detail. Statistics can tell you all sorts of stuff.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
C/West saw an opprtunity to expand South and the rest is History - the Brumbies were too pre occupied with their Monaro / South Coast Comp which has been on the nose for several years.
If the Brumbies had listened to the likes of Grenfell, Temora and Young as well as SIRU they would have those Clubs still playing under the Brumbies Banner
The weird thing is that the respective Junior Clubs of Coota, Temora, Young, Grenfell and Wyalong all play in SIRU Juniors Competition - Go Figure that out - Talk about looking at a Gift Horse in the mouth
The Junior players from those Clubs obviously will flow thru to the Senior Clubs playing in another Competition ??
The Development work is done by SIRU in the Juniors and Central West say " Thank You " in the Seniors
Brumbies Rugby were asleep at the Wheel with this situation it seems
They have been asleep for years mate.

Has it been confirmed whether Deni will play as 2nds for Hay or the Leeton Phantoms in 2020 yet ?

I believe Deni are playing as 2nds for Hay.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
It seems the new South West division of Central West has been a success. I think 4 or 5 previous clubs from SIRU. 8 team competition within an OK travelling distance for the clubs involved. Smaller towns/one team clubs. I know a lot of clubs from smaller towns like ( or at least don’t mind ) travelling to Wagga. Perhaps an answer for CSU to move there if once again they struggle In SIRU in 1st grade and find it hard to get a 2nd grade together. A Marika Vunibaka coached Leeton 1st grade team will more than likely attract new imported players to the club. But will that be enough to provide the numbers for a 2nd grade ?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
So do you think the time may have come for SIRU to look at re-joining NSW Country ??

Do we think that would make a difference though? Are we looking at "greener grass" and comparing the "New" South West Competition without looking at our competition with similar views? What would be gained from being part of NSWRU?

Is lamenting the lack of foresight at a strategic level enough motivation for the zone to change allegiances again?

The genuine risk to the zone is to lose the SIRU "CW" Junior Clubs to the NSWRU/CWRU Competitions would seriously impact the finances of the entire competition. I don't have the figures handy but from memory, the Junior Competition provides approx 2/3 of the player funding (that's not sponsorship dollars etc just the "per head" income) for the zone.

If the Brumbies were motivated to attract the Senior clubs, they would have done it when the opportunity was there. There is no reason for the South West Senior Clubs to change (they're in a competition that works for them with an administration that works for them, with representative opportunities that work for them) so the likelihood of those clubs signing over to the Brumbies is slim to none.

I actually think we'd probably lose an administrator if SIRU moved back to NSW/CRU/CWRU and we'd probably end up with Development Officers that were located in the area but required to run programs in other regions as well.

Coach88

Frank Row (1)
From what I can see and I have only been in the zone for a few years now, the word from a few people I have spoken to within the rugby community is that the last community rugby manager missed the writing on the wall and wasn't happy to work with those senior clubs in north of the zone that only had 1 team so that had a look to see what else was out there and NSW welcomed them with open arms. Is there any truth to that?

As per the breakdown of numbers I posted, this was a simple email to Jack in the SIRU Rugby Office and he sent them through to me. I have asked for a break down of numbers further and he is working on it for me but is now on leave.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
the last community rugby manager missed the writing on the wall and wasn't happy to work with those senior clubs in north of the zone that only had 1 team so that had a look to see what else was out there and NSW welcomed them with open arms. Is there any truth to that?

Have been in the Zone since September and have already linked up with a Club that is trying its best to return to better Days both on and off the Field.
Don't know the background to Clubs leaving the Zone and Juniors staying etc but may as well blame the previous Rugby Manager for the predicament which is usually the Political thing to do.
We are waiting for the 2020 Draw to be announced so that we can start planning our 2020 season with our Home & Away Games - we would love to Host Hay in our 1st Round match

Let's not go down this path here folks. The aim of this forum has always been to promote footy in the area, let's keep it that way please.

Mick did a cracking job for SIRU for roughly 15 years (and Riverina Rugby) before that. While the CRM role is a central part of what happens in the zone, they are not the decision maker - that's the SIRU Board's role. Essentially the CRM works for the Board as a Brumbies employee.

The CRM role is a pretty thankless job, there are loads and loads of complaints that come through that office on a regular basis and the CRM takes a lot of the heat and emotion that comes from the Rugby Community in the first instance - a filter for the SIRU Board in many ways.

Initially, the clubs that moved back to CW were the West Wyalong/Condo/Grenfell clubs that were at the far North of the zone and were not able to field two teams (remember, Women's Rugby wasn't a thing back then either but it was on the radar).

The tipping point came when Harden went to the Monaro Competition which left Young/Temora/Cootamundra/Junee with not much around them and a feeling that there wasn't much support there for them (Wagga-centric). There was also zero appetite from these clubs to go to Deni/Hay/BARC.

That's the missed opportunity, to re-engage with all those clubs and keep them administered by the Brumbies or SIRU. The Brumbies did get involved but were more keen on plugging a hole in the Monaro Competition with Young which lasted for one season from memory. That was the catalyst for the remaining clubs to sign over to CW.

At the time, there was also talk from Yass/Crookwell/Booroowa of wanting to be involved in a competition up that way.

If you speak to the clubs that signed over, it was definitely not smooth sailing initially and I'd say that they would remember fondly the support they got from Mick as the previous CRM as they worked through the administration of the new competition up that way. Since moving over, there has been a change in the CRM role in CW and it looks as though CW as a whole are plugging along pretty well.

I should create a Wiki page on the History of Southern Inland Rugby!!

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Must agree, I think MM did a great job running the show. He brought his own style to the job and was well appreciated for his time and energy. The current lad is also doing a great job, and I think the transition to a newer style of administration reflects modern times. My only observation would be the over focus on social media, I do think there is some significant benefit to SIRU reaching out to the traditional media outlets and spending a little more energy there. The reasoning is that social media is essentially just a circle jerk, where we are preaching to the converted. Treating the traditional media outlets with respect will get our games message to the masses. I’d be looking at the Daily Advertiser, Area News, Tumut and Adelong Times, Border Mail, 2WG, 2AY, 2RG etc

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I suggest Siru get someone to do a newspaper style report on their Facebook page each week about the previous weekend’s games. Clubs would have to help by providing information etc. The DA hasn’t been interested in us for years, Reasoning. Given our shortage of match officials the Waratahs club is particularly helpful club Reasoning. Their spectators are more than willing to provide reports to the judiciary if they feel opposition players are being a bit rough.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I suggest Siru get someone to do a newspaper style report on their Facebook page each week about the previous weekend’s games. Clubs would have to help by providing information etc. The DA hasn’t been interested in us for years, Reasoning. Given our shortage of match officials the Waratahs club is particularly helpful club Reasoning. Their spectators are more than willing to provide reports to the judiciary if they feel opposition players are being a bit rough.

You're on fire here PB, solid gold mate :)

Agree- more content in the Previews and at least something in the Form of Reviews of each match would be good
As far as the Judiciary comment that is a good one - ha ha
With regards comments by 'Reasoning' - I can see where he is cominmg from but the other Clubs in the Competition need to lift their Bars higher as far as picking up new players and then retaining them

I saw those comments yesterday and don't know why he/she has deleted them. If the general rugby public think that all clubs don't have some type of budget for attracting players, they've got rocks in their heads - don't we want the best players the clubs can possibly attract?

While I agree that it's not great for the competition seeing one club pick up all the talent, surely the answer is for the other clubs to raise the bar as Whistle Happy states above?

In regards to the comments about Waratahs picking up the Army players, I remember a time when some very handy Army (ASRU) players were playing footy at Wagga City. This was under the direction of the (rugby stalwart) 2IC at Kapooka who wanted to see some balance in the local competition. However, due to a range of factors, this only lasted for a few seasons. Those players at Kapooka will play footy where they are told to play footy (it may not be directed, but it will be implied).

If the mail above is correct regarding Tumut signing their coaching staff for 2020, I think this finalises the coaching jigsaw for 2020?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I watched a lot of games last year ( live and live-streamed ) and they were all expertly and fairly officiated. That’s all we can ask for. How a club fills it’s roster is it’s own business. Outside of past and present players Waratahs could probably hold a fan club meeting in a phone booth. But they like other clubs have every right to field the best teams they can.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Any word on how the Great Ditch of Connolly (aka Connolly 4 ) is progressing ? I am assuming that it will not be in use this year and given the glacial nature of the work there probably not next year !

Will I see it in my rugby life time ???