• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
It's a risk that RA seems prepared to take, and if they have done their homework on the bloke then they would suggest the risk is low.

Surely with all these long contracts being put in place, RA must have put some level of KPI's that need to be met which will allow for a mutual end to the contract and no further payout?

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
The annual RUPA lunch was on yesterday.

The award winners were as follows:

RUPA Medal For Excellence: Allan Ala'alatoa (Brumbies)
Newcomer of the Year: Isaac Lucas (Queensland Reds)
Community Service Award: Lachlan McCaffrey (Brumbies)
Academic Achievement Award: Angus Scott-Young (Queensland Reds)
Taylors Wines’ People’s Choice Australian Player of the Year: Grace Hamilton (Buildcorp Wallaroos)
NRC Players’ Player of the Year Award: Andrew Deegan (Western Force/Melbourne Rebels)
Australian Men’s Rugby Sevens Players’ Player of the Year: Maurice Longbottom
Australian Women’s Rugby Sevens Players’ Player of the Year: Ellia Green

The Players' choice Super Rugby team of the year was:
1. James Slipper, Brumbies – 18 appearances, 1 try
2. Folau Fainga’a, Brumbies – 17 appearances, 12 tries
3. Allan Ala'alatoa, Brumbies – 16 appearances, 1 try
4. Izack Rodda, Queensland Reds – 14 appearances, 1 try
5. Rory Arnold, Brumbies – 16 appearances, 4 tries
6. Pete Samu, Brumbies – 17 appearances, 5 tries
7. Michael Hooper, NSW Waratahs – 14 appearances, 3 tries
8. Isi Naisarani, Melbourne Rebels – 13 appearances, 1 try
9. Jake Gordon, NSW Waratahs – 16 appearances, 2 tries
10. Christian Leali’ifano, Brumbies – 18 appearances, 113 points (1 try, 4 pens, 48 cons)
11. Marika Koroibete, Melbourne Rebels – 15 appearances, 6 tries
12. Samu Kerevi, Queensland Reds – 15 appearances, 5 tries
13. Tevita Kuridrani, Brumbies – 18 appearances, 7 tries
14. Jock Campbell, Queensland Reds – 9 appearances, 2 tries
15. Tom Banks, Brumbies – 18 appearances, 6 tries

The thing that strikes me about that team is that there's not too much strike power in the outside backs.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Surely with all these long contracts being put in place, RA must have put some level of KPI's that need to be met which will allow for a mutual end to the contract and no further payout?

I was a KPI / 2 year deal zealot.

But the reality is that the highly sought after guys might not have to take a deal like that.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Koroibete and Banks?

Well, six tries each ... That surprises me from Koroibete especially. And Jock Campbell, two tries from nine games - a few years ago you could have named the like of Drew Mitchell, Cameron Shepherd, Rod Davies, Lote Tuqiri for a Super all-star team like that.

It feels like we've taken a step backwards somehow if we're naming players with those sorts of figures as our best of the best.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, six tries each . That surprises me from Koroibete especially. And Jock Campbell, two tries from nine games - a few years ago you could have named the like of Drew Mitchell, Cameron Shepherd, Rod Davies, Lote Tuqiri for a Super all-star team like that.

It feels like we've taken a step backwards somehow if we're naming players with those sorts of figures as our best of the best.

Short memories.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, six tries each . That surprises me from Koroibete especially. And Jock Campbell, two tries from nine games - a few years ago you could have named the like of Drew Mitchell, Cameron Shepherd, Rod Davies, Lote Tuqiri for a Super all-star team like that.

You did watch Korobeite at the World Cup yeah?

I mean........... seriously?

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
You did watch Korobeite at the World Cup yeah?

I mean..... seriously?

I rate Koroibete. I said I was surprised that he didn't score more during the super rugby season. But this is a hypothectical team made up of players based on their super rugby form, and I was struck by the fact that on the face of it none of the players who made it had a great impact on the score sheet. That's all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The first thing i thought for when BR gave the team a positive review was "I bet there are basically zero tahs in it" lol

Look, I'll take it on the chin L, but really I am not anti-Tahs per se, just anti the preferential treatment they got from Cheika when more deserving players from the Reds, Rebels and Brumbies were overlooked.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
8 of that team were in the first choice Wallabies XV at the RWC. 1 more was on the bench and 2 more in the RWC squad. Another one played tests last year. That's 12 of the 15.

Given 2 of our final first choice XV played little or no Super Rugby last year (Pocock and Petaia) and another three bench players were in the same boat (White, To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor)) then it seems like the players were on a very similar page to Cheika's selections.

I am pretty sure if the players were asked to vote for who they thought should be in the Wallabies XV they would have come up with most of the names above with a few variations... much like Cheika did.

BH, you can spin it anyway you want, but it won't alter the fasct, for example, that Cheika finished with three only Brumbies in his starting team while there are a worthy eight in the team above. Cheika had a history of making very poor selections, and no re-writing of history will alter that fact.

EDIT : and to be accurate, players on the bench and in the squad do not make up part of the 15 starters as you are implying.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Look, I'll take it on the chin L, but really I am not anti-Tahs per se, just anti the preferential treatment they got from Cheika when more deserving players from the Reds, Rebels and Brumbies were overlooked.

Just bants m8, in any event your anti-tah rep (even if it's not deserved) is a mainstay of the forum's rich tapestry.

As a NSW resident (though not much of a tah fan, really) I agree that Cheika had some blind spots in that regard (and......literally every other regard)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, you can spin it anyway you want, but it won't alter the fasct, for example, that Cheika finished with three only Brumbies in his starting team while there are a worthy eight in the team above. Cheika had a history of making very poor selections, and no re-writing of history will alter that fact.

There were 5 Brumbies in the starting XV in the last test we played this year. I guess because two of them weren't in the team above (Sio and Pocock) they were poor selections by Cheika.

It seems like you're doing all the spin here.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've got an idea - let's keep raking over the coals of the former Wallaby coach.

giphy.gif

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've got an idea - let's keep raking over the coals of the former Wallaby coach.

Yep, like that fixes much :) Looking forward to this year actually, let's see how the team "rebuilds" even though Penney is not going to accept "rebuilding" as an excuse for poor performance.......

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So earlier is this thread there were a number of comments re Scott Johnson's tenure

I take it most people now think he has done enough to hang around to at least February?