• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah, I see that as a potential starting point. I expect one or two to be replaced as the season goes on

But as to a "strike winger", it is nice to have but I want to see the team manipulating defenses instead of hoping a winger can beat 8 to score a miracle try

Like this one @ 1.12 move the ball to space, back up and support

Their crowds are worse than ours

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Wow can't believe I missed Hanigan, must of had a brain fade!

Also thanks for the feedback, has Will Harris signed though (he was one of the first names I looked for)? The list I went off didn't have him signed for 2020 yet!

Thanks heaps for watching though mate, appreciate it. I had such a moral dilemma between hunt/foketi and moeroa/hunt, just heard he's been running at 13 from a mate at the Tahs so thought I'd throw it out there haha.

Nice work.

You missed Will Harris from the under 20s. I think he'll be just ahead of Pat Tafa. I tend to think Dempsey will be the first choice number 8 though and Swinton and Hanigan will battle it out for the 6 jersey. There's a reasonable chance one of them will play lock though.

I think the likely first choice 23 will be something like:

1. Robertson
2. Fitzpatrick
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Simmons
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Beale
11. Newsome
12. Hunt
13. Foketi
14. Clark
15. Hunt

16. Abel 17. Faulkner 18. Talakai 19. Staniforth 20. Holloway 21. Short 22. Harrison 23. Moeroa/Nawaqanitawase

Depending on whether AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) eventually signs he might fit in somewhere but it's getting harder to see him in the starting XV. Moeroa could certainly be eased into it and it wouldn't be surprising to see him not start the season in the starting XV.

Likewise Harris and Tafa are options in the backrow.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Also not super convinced on Swinton after the NRC, I think he got outplayed for the most part - plays with a lot of passion though. Tackled at 66% in the NRC and probably wasn't as good at running the ball as the others imo - what you reckon?
+ Thanks heaps silverado!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also thanks for the feedback, has Will Harris signed though (he was one of the first names I looked for)? The list I went off didn't have him signed for 2020 yet!

Yes. Will Harris was contracted in 2019 as well.

He makes an unfortunate cameo at the 4 minute mark of the second Waratahs Way video.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Ahh good find! Will Harris was good for junior wallabies too, interesting to see if they bring one of the younger guys in or stick with Simmons Holloway Hanigan hooper Dempsey

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nice work.

You missed Will Harris from the under 20s. I think he'll be just ahead of Pat Tafa. I tend to think Dempsey will be the first choice number 8 though and Swinton and Hanigan will battle it out for the 6 jersey. There's a reasonable chance one of them will play lock though.

I think the likely first choice 23 will be something like:

1. Robertson
2. Fitzpatrick
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Simmons
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Beale
11. Newsome
12. Hunt
13. Foketi
14. Clark
15. Hunt

16. Abel 17. Faulkner 18. Talakai 19. Staniforth 20. Holloway 21. Short 22. Harrison 23. Moeroa/Nawaqanitawase

Depending on whether AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) eventually signs he might fit in somewhere but it's getting harder to see him in the starting XV. Moeroa could certainly be eased into it and it wouldn't be surprising to see him not start the season in the starting XV.

Likewise Harris and Tafa are options in the backrow.

Bold strategy having Hunt wearing 2 jerseys.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Putting Holloway, Simmons, Staniforth, Hanigan, Dempsey, Hooper, Swinton, Tafa, Sinclair and even Harris into 5 is going to be tricky. I feel our bench front row is going to the big issue once again. They were a big reason we couldn't win the tight matches this season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bold strategy having Hunt wearing 2 jerseys.

Please use this jiff in future...

giphy.gif

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looked more like a 15 than a 10 at the U20s I thought. Seems to need a bit of space to show what he can do while Will Harrison is more likely to make space for the rest of his backline.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I also wonder if young 10s achieve better results if they are allowed to find their feet at 15 before being thrust into 10.

They can get a feel for the pace of the professional game, get a bit of confidence with more space and time to work with.

Bernard Foley started there, and the obvious example of Larkham.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some evidence to support that notion, but I believe Larkham was first and foremost a No 15, not a No 10 getting experience at 15, when he converted.

EDIT : The closest I have seen to Larkham in the way he plays at the back, or on the wing, is Mac Hanson. I would not be surprised if he converted somewhere down the track.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I also wonder if young 10s achieve better results if they are allowed to find their feet at 15 before being thrust into 10.

They can get a feel for the pace of the professional game, get a bit of confidence with more space and time to work with.

Bernard Foley started there, and the obvious example of Larkham.

Beauden Barrett. Damien McKenzie. Jordie Barrett.