• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
That’s bizarre. St Patrick’s were on the up, still division 2 when I finished but they hosted one of my grand finals and after I finished school they were going toe to toe with Skevs. Anyone know why they’ve quit?

My source says it was due to lack of coaches - not sure what happened to this years' coach as he was obviously doing a fine job

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have heard another school is short a coach for their Second XV team and that may be the death of them too

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think the coach thing is a bit weird. It would be quite simple to advertise for a teacher/rugby coach. Happens alllll the time across most sports. I know a keen rugby guy from Brisbane who went to teach and runs the rugby program at a Melbourne APS School and he barely gets time release to run the sport, let alone get paid a bunch more.

They also said the cost becoming prohibitive. Obviously alot of travel involved but its not like they have to accommodate the kids overnight in melbourne or anything. I do find it strange - Rugby programs are not expensive to run - especially compared to a sport like Rowing.

Would be interesting to see how they structured their program. Was it teachers with a co-curric, or was it full time rugby staff, or a a few casuals who take up a huge chunk of Saturday pay with overtime and travel. Did they stay in Melbourne or drive back. Did they use their own busses or did they charter. Senior teams were doing well but perhaps the younger grades were struggling with numbers?

Anyway. Odd.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Think the coach thing is a bit weird. It would be quite simple to advertise for a teacher/rugby coach. Happens alllll the time across most sports. I know a keen rugby guy from Brisbane who went to teach and runs the rugby program at a Melbourne APS School and he barely gets time release to run the sport, let alone get paid a bunch more.

They also said the cost becoming prohibitive. Obviously alot of travel involved but its not like they have to accommodate the kids overnight in melbourne or anything. I do find it strange - Rugby programs are not expensive to run - especially compared to a sport like Rowing.

Would be interesting to see how they structured their program. Was it teachers with a co-curric, or was it full time rugby staff, or a a few casuals who take up a huge chunk of Saturday pay with overtime and travel. Did they stay in Melbourne or drive back. Did they use their own busses or did they charter. Senior teams were doing well but perhaps the younger grades were struggling with numbers?

Anyway. Odd.

From what I have observed, St Pats would have had five teams, u 13,14,15,16 and open. Each team would have needed at least one coach and on any particular Saturday two or three teams would have done the trip to Melbourne for the game - about 4-5 hour turnaround depending on where they play - Haileybury in Keysborough would have been the longest trip. Every other sport the school plays, they play in Ballarat - ten fifteen minutes travel time.
Yep, the expertise for the coaches is not something that comes along everyday in Ballarat which is AFL heartland. Then the cost of the buses every week (for aobut ten weeks) , then the time for the coaches on Saturday for those games.
I don't think they were struggling with numbers, they had a large catchment area with families from rugby playing backgrounds.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
My source says it was due to lack of coaches - not sure what happened to this years' coach as he was obviously doing a fine job

Yes, heard the same thing. The 1st XV coach was the real driving force behind the program, but has taken another job eslewhere.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
Sad to see St Pat's discontinuing rugby program.Wonder if the discontinuing of St Pat's rugby will have impact on possible holding of Super Rugby match on 22 Feb in Ballarat.

Anyone know when location of match is likely to be announced? We are only just over 2 months away from it.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sad to see St Pat's discontinuing rugby program.Wonder if the discontinuing of St Pat's rugby will have impact on possible holding of Super Rugby match on 22 Feb in Ballarat.

Anyone know when location of match is likely to be announced? We are only just over 2 months away from it.

are you thinking that they were going to hold it at St Pat's Ballarat? If so, plenty of other school grounds in Melbourne they could go to without the drive.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
are you thinking that they were going to hold it at St Pat's Ballarat? If so, plenty of other school grounds in Melbourne they could go to without the drive.

Think the stadium in Ballarat, not the school.

I would like to see the match at Lakeside Stadium at Albert Park, I know South Melbourne FC prob say no way.

Could always pack the hill at Box Hill and have a good atmosphere at least. They can set up marquees on the far side for there corporate etc.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Looking at the Reds team of the decade got me thinking about who would be my Rebels team:

1) Smith (Just ahead of Henderson)
2) Robinson (Ahead of Hanson because he played more games
3) Weeks
4) Jones
5) Pyle
6) Saffy (2nd Hardest position to pic)
7) McMahon (Notable mentions have to be made to Colby and Reid who both contested for this position with Sean)
8) Delve (Higgers and Mafi both deserve mentions, but no way can I put them ahead of Delve)
9) Phipps (Genia only managed 23 games, not enough)

10) Cipriani (Toughest call of the lot, really shows the Rebels weakness has been a consistant 10 over the years, Mike Harris, Quade Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and a few more. But no one really held down the spot for extended periods of time.)

11) Korobiete
12) Hodge (Couldn't leave him out but not really his prefered position)
13) Mortlock (Could easily be Inman, but can't go past the first captain and tryscorer)
14) English (I selected Vuna but changed to English, hard call but English will bring up 100 Rebels caps this season)
15) Woodward (Easiest selection in the team, had the biggest impact of the full backs)

Other Honorable mentions:
Neville
Mitchell
Coleman
Maddocks

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Good team. I'd say PAE was a better tighthead, albeit not a servant of the club. Mafi was a better 8 too, but hard to go past the big dog Welshman.

Cipriani was responsible for pretty much all the highlights at the Stockade in the early years. Such a gifted player. Also important to have a bloke in the team to manage nightclub guestlists and post-match celebrations.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Looking at the Reds team of the decade got me thinking about who would be my Rebels team:

1) Smith (Just ahead of Henderson)
2) Robinson (Ahead of Hanson because he played more games
3) Weeks
4) Jones
5) Pyle
6) Saffy (2nd Hardest position to pic)
7) McMahon (Notable mentions have to be made to Colby and Reid who both contested for this position with Sean)
8) Delve (Higgers and Mafi both deserve mentions, but no way can I put them ahead of Delve)
9) Phipps (Genia only managed 23 games, not enough)

10) Cipriani (Toughest call of the lot, really shows the Rebels weakness has been a consistant 10 over the years, Mike Harris, Quade Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and a few more. But no one really held down the spot for extended periods of time.)

11) Korobiete
12) Hodge (Couldn't leave him out but not really his prefered position)
13) Mortlock (Could easily be Inman, but can't go past the first captain and tryscorer)
14) English (I selected Vuna but changed to English, hard call but English will bring up 100 Rebels caps this season)
15) Woodward (Easiest selection in the team, had the biggest impact of the full backs)

Other Honorable mentions:
Neville
Mitchell
Coleman
Maddocks

Pretty hard to fault... but I would have McMahon at 6 and Colby at 7. Jordy very stiff.

I have Chibba ahead of Gedi, and Pat Leafa a special mention, and I'd have Mikey Mike or Hegarty ahead of Cipriani.

But really well done.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jeez - some epic players have worn the jersey. Might not be under the normal rules, but this would be my best players XV

1. Somerville 2. Uelese 3. PAO
4. Pyle 5. Coleman
6. Higs 8. Mafi 7. Mcmahon
9. Genia 10. Quade 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Mortlock 14. Naivalu 15. Beale

16. Hanson 17. T.Smith 18. Weeks 19. Jones 20. Naisarani 21. Phipps 22. JOC (James O'Connor) 23. DHP

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Ok, if we're doing a 23 I have to... For best service to the Rebels jersey, not anything done elsewhere

1. Toby Smith
2. James Hanson
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Luke Jones
6. Sean McMahon
7. Colby Fainga'a
8. Scott Higginbotham (C)
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Reece Hodge
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Tom English
15. Jason Woodward

16. Ged Robinson
17. Nic Henderson
18. Paul Alo-Emile
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Gareth Delve
21. Scott Fuglistaller
22. Will Genia
23. Sefanaia Naivalu

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
That's a fuckin' evil team. At their best, we'd be finals bound.

For all playing at home - who would be the coach?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Two for the price of none!

First XV

1. Toby Smith
2. Ged Robinson
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Luke Jones
5. Hugh Pyle
6. Sean McMahon
7. Colby Fainga'a
8. Gareth Delve (C)
9. Will Genia
10. Danny Cipriani
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Tom English
15. Jason Woodward

16. James Hanson
17. Nic Henderson
18. Paul Alo-Emile
19. Adam Coleman
20. Scott Higginbotham
21. Reece Hodge
22. Nick Phipps
23. Sefanaia Naivalu

Second XV

1. Greg Somerville
2. Shota Horie
3. Rodney Blake
4. Geoff Parling
5. Matt Philip
6. Lopeti Timani
7. Jordy Reid
8. Amanaki Mafi
9. Ben Meehan
10. Quade Cooper
11. Telusa Veainu
12. James O'Connor
13. Stirling Mortlock (c)
14. Cooper Vuna
15. Mike Harris

16. Anaru Rangi
17. Keita Inagaki
18. Jermaine Ainsley
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Scott Fuglistaller
21. Mark Gerrard
22. Luke Burgess
23. Kotaro Matsushima

Apologies to: Cruze Ah-Nau, Jack Debreczeni, Bryce Hegarty, Richard Kingi, Jarrod Saffy, Dom Shipperley, Nic Stirzaker, Patrick Leafa, Michael Ruru

:D