• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2019-2020

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah, saw some footage on the news last night. Surely they wouldn't allow a Test match to proceed in "light" like that & then there's the air quality which has to be a hazard in its own right.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
^ yeah, saw some footage on the news last night. Surely they wouldn't allow a Test match to proceed in "light" like that & then there's the air quality which has to be a hazard in its own right.

Some of the games in India have been beset with terrible Smog as well and the games have been played.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why would we want breakthroughs, Smithy? We were down a bowler before the end of the first day, so have basically no chance of winning. Let their tail-enders all waste time scoring centuries while we play for that sweet, sweet draw.

EDIT: I'd also say this Perth day-night situation is terrible for my personal viewing, but I'd forgotten just how punishingly bad normal cricket commentary is. Thus I'm grateful it's actually limiting my exposure.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also, I now firmly subscribe to the line of thinking that, if we're going to have an opener who either scores four runs or lasts three overs -- which ever comes first -- then we might as well have Guptill there for his world class fielding, over Reval and whatever it is he does when everyone else is fielding.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Taylor gone for 80, NZ 147/7: with Hazelwood out does Straya enforce the seemingly inevitable follow-on or bat again & set NZ say 500? You'd assume the latter in that heat.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fair to say I'm not entirely convinced that Aleem Dar got that one right & even less convinced by the DRS - tiny little spike on snicko that in Nigel's immortal words "could have been anything" & no hotspot.

EDIT: that said it was a great delivery.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Taylor gone for 80, NZ 147/7: with Hazelwood out does Straya enforce the seemingly inevitable follow-on or bat again & set NZ say 500? You'd assume the latter in that heat.
Keep your mob out there in the heat tomorrow afternoon and throw them into the cauldron under lights.

On another note, Starc is nigh on impossible to play without a red ball.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It seems to be hard to predict - depends which way the wind blows. On Tuesday it would have been cancelled for sure. But the weekend has been better. Although, healthwise, i dont think any kind of cardio is very highly recommended right now.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
WOB, I wouldn't have given either of them out on replay, but deG did look to have gloved it in real time. The DRS nowadays is there to give the benefit of the doubt to the umpire, hence the need for clear evidence to overturn a marginal decision. I don't like it - either go back to the historically valid benefit of the doubt to the batsman, or have no on-field decision in tight cases that might go either way but allow the DRS to decide in those cases.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ to me the fact that neither the "catcher" nor the closest fielder looked particularly interested in the dG one should've given Dar the hint that maybe it hadn't hit the glove. Should've said Not Out (as in, If In Doubt, Say Not Out) & let Aus DRS it if they felt it had. The Sandpaper Man didn't hit his one, either, I think maybe I was suggesting that some consistency might be in order (I'd had a few by then but I'm pretty sure that was it :)).

The whole point of DRS is to correct an umpire's error so IMO this whole "no conclusive evidence to overturn the decision" bizzo is bullshit. Only question for TMO should be "is it or isn't it out" & if he can't conclusively say it's Out then obviously it's gotta be Not Out.

Makes no difference in the long run, even if we get to the second break tonight only a wicket or two down Starc will likely go beserk under the lights & Lyon finish the job in the morning. But a shit decision is still & always a shit decision & it's a bit frustrating that every time we play you blokes at your place there seems to be at least one screamingly bad call in your favour.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^ to me the fact that neither the "catcher" nor the closest fielder looked particularly interested in the dG one should've given Dar the hint that maybe it hadn't hit the glove. Should've said Not Out (as in, If In Doubt, Say Not Out) & let Aus DRS it if they felt it had. The Sandpaper Man didn't hit his one, either, I think maybe I was suggesting that some consistency might be in order (I'd had a few by then but I'm pretty sure that was it :)).

The whole point of DRS is to correct an umpire's error so IMO this whole "no conclusive evidence to overturn the decision" bizzo is bullshit. Only question for TMO should be "is it or isn't it out" & if he can't conclusively say it's Out then obviously it's gotta be Not Out.

Makes no difference in the long run, even if we get to the second break tonight only a wicket or two down Starc will likely go beserk under the lights & Lyon finish the job in the morning. But a shit decision is still & always a shit decision & it's a bit frustrating that every time we play you blokes at your place there seems to be at least one screamingly bad call in your favour.

WOB, I agree with everything you've said. I would take the reviews out of the hands of the captains and require the umpires to ask for a review and decision when in any doubt at all.