• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Begs the question as to why both Naiyaravoro and Skelton both went to the Premiership to develop true potential as Rugby players. Skelton in particular is now an absolute weapon at Saracens.
Agree with Sketon. He seemed to get serious by dropping weight, training hard and is a much better player. Big T was unstoppable for the Tahs in the year before he left

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Begs the question as to why both Naiyaravoro and Skelton both went to the Premiership to develop true potential as Rugby players. Skelton in particular is now an absolute weapon at Saracens.

Let's also remember that several Aussie players have gone to Europe and dominated. Some came back here and looked nothing more than passable.

They were always talented individuals of course, but sometimes you go over there and get the right combinations going or a dominant forward pack. Saracens, for example, breached the salary cap by a fair few spondulicks, which was always likely to help Skelton look good. His personal development in terms of fitness is his own doing, of course. The question you have to ask: why didn't he feel the need to trim up at the Tahs? Anyway. . .

If Saints were getting the ball to Taqele on the wing, then they'd be a lot better than a lot of the English Premier clubs who box kicked the shit out of everything or ran the first channel - what I noted through a season of watching Gallagher Premiership was the motto of every club was "try not to lose!"

It was honestly like watching unlimited-tackle league.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Let's also remember that several Aussie players have gone to Europe and dominated. Some came back here and looked nothing more than passable.

They were always talented individuals of course, but sometimes you go over there and get the right combinations going or a dominant forward pack. Saracens, for example, breached the salary cap by a fair few spondulicks, which was always likely to help Skelton look good. His personal development in terms of fitness is his own doing, of course. The question you have to ask: why didn't he feel the need to trim up at the Tahs? Anyway. . .

If Saints were getting the ball to Taqele on the wing, then they'd be a lot better than a lot of the English Premier clubs who box kicked the shit out of everything or ran the first channel - what I noted through a season of watching Gallagher Premiership was the motto of every club was "try not to lose!"

I always come back to Nemani Nadolo. Took him about 6 different professional setups to find the one that really worked for him (Crusaders). Players respond and react to different coaches and environments. Maturity also needs to be factored in.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Just had a look at https://nsw.rugby/teams/nsw-waratahs and the squad has been updated to include all the new players. Previously they just removed players who had moved on. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hasn't been removed until now. Being that he was previously listed and not off in Japan (I know he and his wife have recently had their first child) it is interesting.

Cody Walker is still there on the site. I haven't seen him in any photos since pre season started again. If he staying?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

More teams in Europe means a greater dispersal of talent, Toulon and Sarries aside. Almost every Super player tears ass over there - because despite everything, southern hemisphere rugby is still superior to Northern rugby.

A club World championship match would be good to see. Can't see any of them getting close to the Sanders.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
But RA and Reds sign a league player for 1mil a season.
It would be interesting to know the ARU component in that signing. Naiyaravoro was not in the Wallaby mix for a few years, so the Tahs would have fronted with the entire amount. Remember he was a West Tigers NRL signing, but couldn't make the 2015 RWC squad and became a Super only player. The winger stocks in this World Cup were sub par, so I suppose The ARU chased another NRL import to boost an area of weakness, but I think it is silly money for an untried winger

B

Bobby Sands

I always come back to Nemani Nadolo. Took him about 6 different professional setups to find the one that really worked for him (Crusaders). Players respond and react to different coaches and environments. Maturity also needs to be factored in.

I think Tahs & all Aussie setups needs to be more accountable than that. Skelton was at the Tahs for a long time. Saracens shipped him into shape in 12 months. Same too Perese with the Broncos.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think Tahs & all Aussie setups needs to be more accountable than that. Skelton was at the Tahs for a long time. Saracens shipped him into shape in 12 months. Same too Perese with the Broncos.

The thing is, none of knows all the facts of each situation. Skelton, for example, might have benefited a lot by moving away from his usual environment. It might be that Saffersens have a bigger budget for the fitness side of things, too.

Perese was still a kid, in relative terms, when he went to the Broncos, had he stayed with the Reds who is to say that his development might not have been similar? Who would know how to bring the best out of young players better than Brad Thorn? Does he need more accountability?

I'll leave it to you to break the news to him.

B

Bobby Sands

The thing is, none of knows all the facts of each situation. Skelton, for example, might have benefited a lot by moving away from his usual environment. It might be that Saffersens have a bigger budget for the fitness side of things, too.

Perese was still a kid, in relative terms, when he went to the Broncos, had he stayed with the Reds who is to say that his development might not have been similar? Who would know how to bring the best out of young players better than Brad Thorn? Does he need more accountability?

I'll leave it to you to break the news to him.

Sure, these are all possibilities too.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
On that note I have taken heart from how many wallabies have gone to Europe recently and have performed well (Nic White, Skelton, Naiyaravoro, Dave Dennis now captain of Exeter, Dean Mumm is an Exeter legend etc), whilst a number of kiwis seem to stumble. Sopoaga is now behind Tana Umaga's nephew, Brad Shields has been poor, Savea doesn't look the goods anymore
What heart is taken from Europe enjoying our lads talents?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Agree with the accountability but in the Nadolo example he was also in England, France and Japan before really coming good in NZ. So the main issue becomes how do you measure potential or the perceived trajectory? Minimal data exists because we haven't really lost many young players to UK/European clubs (and generally league gets them too early for us). Japan is now having a go at second tier players like Warren-Vosayaco, Gunter and Cornelsen who knows maybe Major League Rugby will be more of an issue moving forward with plenty of QPR players heading over.

B

Bobby Sands

Agree with the accountability but in the Nadolo example he was also in England, France and Japan before really coming good in NZ. So the main issue becomes how do you measure potential or the perceived trajectory? Minimal data exists because we haven't really lost many young players to UK/European clubs (and generally league gets them too early for us). Japan is now having a go at second tier players like Warren-Vosayaco, Gunter and Cornelsen who knows maybe Major League Rugby will be more of an issue moving forward with plenty of QPR players heading over.

Dormant potential is difficult for all sports to predict/value. But I think Liverpool would be pretty miffed if they consistently lost players from their setup only to perform better at other clubs. All clubs would be aiming for & should be disappointed if their environment is not the best for developing players. The Brumbies do it pretty well, but I’d argue none of our clubs seem to do it consistently well compared to overseas clubs.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Dormant potential is difficult for all sports to predict/value. But I think Liverpool would be pretty miffed if they consistently lost players from their setup only to perform better at other clubs. All clubs would be aiming for & should be disappointed if their environment is not the best for developing players. The Brumbies do it pretty well, but I’d argue none of our clubs seem to do it consistently well compared to overseas clubs.

All true, but we inevitably focus on the players who perform really well overseas. Are they the exception, or the norm? Are there more players who under-perform in Europe or Japan, but we simply don't hear about them?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Agree they would but going back specifically to the Waratahs what players have they "consistently lost players from their setup only to perform better at other clubs?" I certainly couldn't name many. In fact, I could name more that have moved away from the tahs who have not performed at the same level.