• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt it’ll be McCaffrey as he’s unlikely to start...........

I’d say Cusack or Brown will be the options at 7, with McCaffrey to come off the bench at 6 or 8.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like McCaffrey as a potential captain but to get him on the ground as a starter would probably require Pete Samu to shift to 7. That might not be such a bad idea - he is as good a pilferer at the breakdown as many 7s have been lately.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I am still sticking to my earlier nomination:

Banks; Clear head, reasonably calm, involved in the play-making, makes good decisions (so far) and has a good overview of the proceedings @15.

Joe and Slipper as deputies;

Joe as it will help his developments and he is right there next to the ref as required.

Slipper is the old wise head and mentor. The master can guide the Padawan's and help bring the calm to close out the games.

A Banks / Joe leadership will also help guide our new 10's who will need guidance and reassurance.

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree that the Captain is a big decision and can't really see any easy way other than one of the front-row or a McCaffrey/Cusack. It's rare to get 60 min out of the front-row and I really think an immature team needs its first-choice captain through this period. I'd be happy with Cusack and are comfortable with the level-pegging playing wise with McCaffrey, Brown and Miller.

The Kicker is probably in the same boat. Irae is not an option (part-timer) so my feeling is whomever graps the 10 jersey will pick this up also.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
McKellar named a leadership squad of:
  • Tom Cusack;
  • Andy Muirhead;
  • Tom Banks;
  • Irae Simone;
  • Joe Powell; and,
  • Pete Samu.
I expect Cusack will be named the captain. He's also replaced Lealiifano on the UC advertising board, if that means anything.

And isnt Cusack making a run at the 7's seems unlikely he'd get Captain.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We've seen success with the South African style backrow before (e.g. 2014, 2017), and I can see us succeeding with a backrow of McCaffrey, Samu, Valetini. I'd honestly prefer McCaffrey on the field as well, we really benefit from having that Fardy-esque no-nonsense workhorse.

B

Bobby Sands

We've seen success with the South African style backrow before (e.g. 2014, 2017), and I can see us succeeding with a backrow of McCaffrey, Samu, Valetini. I'd honestly prefer McCaffrey on the field as well, we really benefit from having that Fardy-esque no-nonsense workhorse.

McCaffery is a jet & should be a Wallaby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
really? That's the list? I would have though Cusack is the least likely of those to be in the starting team.

I would have thought one of the props, but acknowledge that it's hard work carrying your team up front, both physically and mentally.

Gee of that lot, it's probably Samu isn't it?

Andy Muirhead has also struggled to get starting gigs in recent years - not sure this year would be any different

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Andy Muirhead has also struggled to get starting gigs in recent years - not sure this year would be any different

I would have looked at Kata as a wing option, but they are talking like his could line up at 12.

I really wanna know who's going to be 10... I'm actually really excited... The young guns fighting it out.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Just noticed the squad on the your website has been updated. Pasitoa (flyhalf) Hansen (flyhalf / fullback) Kenuzle (flyhalf / centre). No mention of Noah Lolesio.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Brumbies have been training for the past week in Newcastle to escape the smoke-laden air in the national capital but are set to return to Canberra on Wednesday to complete their build-up.

McKellar was unapologetic in insisting that the Brumbies would not be changing their game and would continue to exploit their driving maul, which last year earned them 16 of their 65 tries.

"We take pride that we had zero [rolling maul tries] scored against us last season," said McKellar. "We focus on it in training and we put as much emphasis on our maul defence as we do on our maul attack."

"But the 23 for round one is far from finalised." [McKellar said].
Source: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...d/news-story/2716d36a00e823da52aed4f4cff8b42e

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
When you have a strength, why change...

Ill be interested to see if the loss of Arnold and Carter impacts on the rolling maul though

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect that the loss of Arnold and Carter will be more problematic for our maul defence than our maul offence. Our props set up mauls better than any other, and our backrowers are fantastic at pushing in the same direction and changing angle collectively. We usually only saw our locks awkwardly walking backwards in the middle of the maul after they gave the ball to the hooker.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Going back to the backrow discussions.........

For all this talk about the likes of Cusack and McCaffrey as captaincy options...........

I'd honestly completely forgotten that the Brumbies signed Will Miller......... not that he'd be considered for the captaincy, but if he wears the 7 jersey that complicates the makeup of the backrow, although logic would point to Valetini and Samu being certain starters.

Personally, I wouldn't have Miller in the 23 based on his NRC form.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think our backrow options go like this:

Blindside: Valetini > McCaffrey = Samu > Cusack > Brown = Miller > Douglas > Enever
Openside: Brown > Cusack > Miller > Samu
N8: McCaffrey > Valetini = Samu > Brown > Douglas

Obviously a lot of players can cover different places in a pinch.

My suspicion is that we'll see an first round back row of Valetini, Cusack, and Samu.