• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m intrigued on the plans with Beale.

On first look, the plan to take the pressure off Harrison & Donaldson seems fair enough. For mine, they are both wonderful young prospects and it seems to me a reasonable chance at least one of them will go on to good things if their development is properly managed.

But, in terms of Beale himself, I don’t really see that playing him at 10 does him any favours. Even less now with the recruitment of Maddocks.

For mine the form of Beale has been patchy/below par since the end of the 2018 Super Rugby season. He really needs to be allowed to settle in one position and play their consistently to get the best out of him. For me, his best position is 15 - maybe for him/the coaching staff it is 12 - but I think it has been proven it’s not 10.

Ultimately the coaching staff make a decision based on what is overall best for the team but, for mine, playing your most capped Wallaby in his best spot is a pretty sensible start.

I imagine Maddocks has only moved back if he has a fair degree of confidence that he will be playing 15 but if I return to my original comment around the promise of Harrison/Donaldson I reckon you could do worse than playing a backline of Gordon, Harrison/Donaldson, Clark/Kellaway/Nawaqinatawase, Hunt, Moeroa/Foketi, Maddocks, Beale. With the likes of Gordon, Beale
& Maddocks around them I reckon Harrison & Donaldson are good enough to look at starting.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
As usual whether Beale (or another) does well at 10 will be down to the pigs providing quality first phase ball and consistent, quick front foot ruck ball

If they do, he will be fine; if they don't, it will be his fault and we will be whinging about the length of clearance kicks again

iu

(it is always the pigs)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Ok - but that wasn’t really my point.

Front foot ball or not, I don’t see a Beale’s best spot as 10. The justification for playing him there appears to be that it is best for the team whilst they take a measured approach to bringing on the young guys. I’m questioning the logic of that. I definitely don’t think it is in Beale’s best interests, and I’m not sure it’s in the teams best interests either.

Maybe Penney has challenged Beale to win the vacant Wallaby 10 spot or maybe he simply doesn’t think Harrison or Donaldson are ready yet. On face value I get the rational, but I think the logic is a bit flawed. From my armchair, of course.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ok - but that wasn’t really my point.

Front foot ball or not, I don’t see a Beale’s best spot as 10. The justification for playing him there appears to be that it is best for the team whilst they take a measured approach to bringing on the young guys. I’m questioning the logic of that. I definitely don’t think it is in Beale’s best interests, and I’m not sure it’s in the teams best interests either.

Maybe Penney has challenged Beale to win the vacant Wallaby 10 spot or maybe he simply doesn’t think Harrison or Donaldson are ready yet. On face value I get the rational, but I think the logic is a bit flawed. From my armchair, of course.

He led the Tahs to a final at 10 with Carter & Horne outside him, he can do a job

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As usual whether Beale (or another) does well at 10 will be down to the pigs providing quality first phase ball and consistent, quick front foot ruck ball

(it is always the pigs)

Some Australian 10s of recent memory could not kick very far no matter what the quality of the ball. Kicking for touch from a penalty is a pretty good indicator, n'est-ce pas?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He led the Tahs to a final at 10 with Carter & Horne outside him, he can do a job

Who knows, the change may even be the spark that re-invigorates his career. Personally I find it messy, but no doubt 'Tah supporters have reason to hope.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, but again that isn’t what I am questioning.

I’m not arguing whether Beale can do the job. I am saying I’m not convinced it’s the best way for the Tahs to deploy their available resources.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
TRIAL MATCH
NSW Waratahs v Highlanders
Date
: Friday 17 January
Gates Open
: 5:30pm
Kick-off
: 6:45pm
Venue
: Leichhardt Oval

B

Bobby Sands

No Foley must be a blessing next season.

Hope Mack get at least one more shot - if not I think the Reds should take him.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If Penney can successfully introduce a more intuitive style, I wonder if that will help bring out the best in Beale.

At his best he is very good with heads up rugby, has a good short passing game and is a good support runner.