• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2020

S

Show-n-go

I drew the link right from the outset. Anybody with a smattering of religious history would have. I am glad that this change has occurred. BTW if the "very few" people who drew the link were deeply offended by it then it is better off consigned to the medieval history waste basket.

All they’ve done is enabled a constant reminder of that terrorist act

Every time I look at that logo I think “fuck the old one was better, why’d we get rid of that one, oh yea some crazy dude with a gun shot up a mosque”, if you leave everything as is, his act becomes nothing more than a sad page in the history books of nz

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Every time I look at that logo I think “fuck the old one was better, why’d we get rid of that one, oh yea some crazy dude with a gun shot up a mosque”, if you leave everything as is, his act becomes nothing more than a sad page in the history books of nz

Well off-topic but wifey & I spent New Year's in Cheechee with middle niece who's a NYE baby.

We visited the mosque Monday night expecting it to feel somewhat creepy, but far from it: someone has set up a shelf where people can leave things - mostly stones with messages written/ painted on them, also a few soft toys & long-faded cards - and people are still placing flowers. There's also a sign on the fence saying "Welcome to Our Country, A Land of Tolerance" (was tempted to take a pic but didn't think it appropriate) & it wasn't clear which side of the fence, so to speak, had made & placed it.

I'm not normally an emotional guy but I found the overall vibe of the place quite positive & more than a little moving.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

While understanding what you saying Show, I think in a year or so most people will hardly remember old logo, and probably for the sake of everyone will help everyone to move forward. I had never thought even before the 'act' much about the logo and had been surprised even back then that some people weren't keen on it, but perhaps it better to just put the whole meaning behind us.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Slightly sobering article for those of us waiting for this years u20s to deliver our next Golden age.

Plain common sense really - but I know personally I am looking for any signs of promise, so I’ll concede I’m potentially guilty of both overhyping these youngsters and clinging to the bandwagon of deliverance I hope they are bringing.

All that aside, it is still good to have something to be excited about.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/12/31/junior-wallabies-super-rugby-transition

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Slightly sobering article for those of us waiting for this years u20s to deliver our next Golden age.

Plain common sense really - but I know personally I am looking for any signs of promise, so I’ll concede I’m potentially guilty of both overhyping these youngsters and clinging to the bandwagon of deliverance I hope they are bringing.

All that aside, it is still good to have something to be excited about.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/12/31/junior-wallabies-super-rugby-transition

Like that so much, a good team with bloody good players, but lets not burden them with unreal expectations. I have followed players from NZ U20 world cup winning teams, and a good number don't make it super rugby, and even less go on to be real stars. Lets just first enjoy their success and know while some will go on to be Wallabies probably the majority will just add valued depth of good players to slightly less levels of rugby in the country, which I personally believe is needed more than a few stars!

Reactions: TSR

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Can't argue with any of your nominees, but it's a pity Will Harris couldn't also make the list. I think in time he and Wilson will be sharing backrow spots in the Wallabies.

Yeah he's awesome, loved watching him for the junior wallabies, also had to squeeze out Ben Donaldson. Two awesome players, maybe should of squeezed in over Pasitoa and Gordon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just btw. Carter Gordon isn't QC (Quade Cooper)'s younger brother is he? I know he was playing school boys last year and had a lot of wraps on him.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just btw. Carter Gordon isn't QC (Quade Cooper)'s younger brother is he? I know he was playing school boys last year and had a lot of wraps on him.

No. QC (Quade Cooper) younger brother is Moses Jones. He was the BSHS flyhalf last year. Haven't seen him play enough to get a good read but BSHS weren't much chop last year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Referees will issue players warnings for high-tackles during this year's Super Rugby competition, as World Rugby continues its crackdown on concussion related injuries.

"When two high-risk tackle technique warnings have been issued, a player will automatically receive a one-match suspension."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ew-law-as-crackdown-on-high-tackles-continues

Anything that stops umpteen minutes being wasted while the officials decide whether it's Yellow or Red has gotta be a good thing but I'm mindful of unintended consequences e.g. the "penalty only" option not getting due consideration.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
"Referees will issue players warnings for high-tackles during this year's Super Rugby competition, as World Rugby continues its crackdown on concussion related injuries.

"When two high-risk tackle technique warnings have been issued, a player will automatically receive a one-match suspension."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ew-law-as-crackdown-on-high-tackles-continues

Anything that stops umpteen minutes being wasted while the officials decide whether it's Yellow or Red has gotta be a good thing but I'm mindful of unintended consequences e.g. the "penalty only" option not getting due consideration.

Prediction? Drawn out clusterfucks in every game. Comms drivelling along with "Nah, that's awright, playyy on, what's the game coming to" and the usual circular discussions on social media. And the QCs will have a field day at the judiciary.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)

That's much better than the article I had seen on it. The article I read didn't actually explain what the warning thing was all about, how it would work. It also had a whole bunch of other law changes that were being trialled elsewhere but wasn't clear only the first was in Super Rugby, the rest are other competitions globally.

Edit: For those wondering, the one I had seen was this one - https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...s/news-story/5c4b49d49943fbc3d3e7dcaf0e17e6b1

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Comms drivelling along with "Nah, that's awright, playyy on, what's the game coming to" and the usual circular discussions on social media.

I'd argue that commentator education is an important area that needs improvement. We're still seeing plenty of commentators who have not adjusted to referee interpretations that have been going for at least a year.

I think it's quite detrimental when you have commentators talking down an incident that is fairly obvious how it will be adjudicated and/or showing surprise when a red/yellow card is issued.

It advances the myth that "the game has gone soft" or referees are out of touch and have made a bad decision. It definitely impacts casual fans more who are left with the perception that the stereotype of the game being overly complicated and officious is true.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

It appears this may have been a misinterpretation/poorly explained, there will be no automatic bans issued.

“An experimental law will be trialled during this year’s competition fixtures that if ratified could see players suspended for one match even for tackles that do no harm.“

“However, no suspensions will actually be imposed at this point. While the trial will be conducted, with a recently retired head coach or someone equally qualified going through each match and identifying poor tackling technique that will be brought to the attention of the offending player, no one will actually face a judicial hearing or miss any games because of suspension.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/54e0c5b3db62da5fd122d956da4ceeac