• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Colby is the one shaping up to replace him at Lyon.

You’d be hard pressed to find a country that has produced as many quality 7s since professionalism as Aus have.

Colby has won 2 x player of the year awards at two different clubs and hasn’t even come close to a cap.

Now we have Tizzano and McReight with Liam Wright looking the goods.

You could argue that Colby is the most talented of the 4 Fainga'a brothers, but the only one not fully capped (Vili with Tonga, Saia & Ant with Australia). He also has the passing skills of a back, and supreme fitness - could be an amazing Sevens player too

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Colby Fainga'a one of the highest number of Super caps without a test. I think Sam Wykes is the highest Aussie with Chris King being the overall champ.

B

Bobby Sands

You could argue that Colby is the most talented of the 4 Fainga'a brothers, but the only one not fully capped (Vili with Tonga, Saia & Ant with Australia). He also has the passing skills of a back, and supreme fitness - could be an amazing Sevens player too

His career certainly didn't pan out as many predicted - early injuries and then getting stuck in the cue, rather than any lack of ability or drive are mostly the issues. Glad to see him playing so well overseas.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rumors floating around that Saracens are going to be automatically relegated from the Prem after failing to get below the cap this season. Rugby Aus needs to get on the phone to Skeltons agent and work out a favorable deal, perhaps one of those ones we see in the NRL where the previous club is still paying a portion of his wage. Let’s say he’s on $600k then try broker a deal for $300k and Saracens pay the remaining $300k.

S

Show-n-go

His career certainly didn't pan out as many predicted - early injuries and then getting stuck in the cue, rather than any lack of ability or drive are mostly the issues. Glad to see him playing so well overseas.

Colby and Hooper were both in my age group. At u16 level I would’ve said Colby was way more hyped up as a potential superstar than Hooper. Although I remember one of my coaches sayin when we were 15 that Hooper would captain Australia one day, he probably should’ve put some money on that one

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
^ and now positively svelte at just 125 kg

Indeed. Always had soft hands, good skills but too heavy. Probably more versatile at 125kg, and if he has learned more black arts in the set pieces would be a very nice Super rugby option; maybe even higher level too. Can't understand the logic of having fewer options, which is basically the gist of the post to which I replied before.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-union/51164177

Saracens being relegated. It’s not clear what impact that will have on their player retention, but it would seem likely some players will move on. They will definitely have to free up some of their wage bill.

I wonder if this will actually makes Skelton more valuable to them since it seems likely a few of their English players might weight up their options at least and look for options with other teams in the Premiership.

Edit: I find it a bit amazing they were allowed to avoid opening up their books by accepting relegation.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-union/51164177

Saracens being relegated. It’s not clear what impact that will have on their player retention, but it would seem likely some players will move on. They will definitely have to free up some of their wage bill.

I wonder if this will actually makes Skelton more valuable to them since it seems likely a few of their English players might weight up their options at least and look for options with other teams in the Premiership.

Edit: I find it a bit amazing they were allowed to avoid opening up their books by accepting relegation.

To get back into the Premiership, they need to prove good books for two years running, so they'll have to do it sometime.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not a great week for expat Aussie locks.

First Will Skelton copped a 4 week suspension for a high tackle in the UK Premiership and now Richie Arnold has been suspended for 4 weeks in the Japanese Top League for an elbow to the face of Dan Carter.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Drew Mitchell is pulling the boots on once more after getting canned from Fox Sports Punditry. He's signed for RUNY, he'll be playing alongside Mathieu Bastareaud. Good luck to him.

Also, I might add that he does qualify for the Giteau Law, so maybe our wing stocks aren't looking too bad /s.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Drew Mitchell is pulling the boots on once more after getting canned from Fox Sports Punditry. He's signed for RUNY, he'll be playing alongside Mathieu Bastareaud. Good luck to him.

Also, I might add that he does qualify for the Giteau Law, so maybe our wing stocks aren't looking too bad /s.
Can he still run?