• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agreed on Samu being a good fit for 7. Miller and Brown have all the core skills of the traditional 7, but it will probably take a few injuries for either of them to start.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Canberra Times can reveal Mowen is making a comeback to the Rugby Australian inner sanctum, joining the junior Wallabies as the forwards coach.
A conversation with former Rugby Australia coaching director Rod Kafer two years ago planted a seed for a career shift.
"It's gone full circle being back in Canberra this week," Mowen said.
"Any time you get to be involved with a national side is special, and I still got that little buzz when I put the green and gold on, even though it was for coaching this time.
"It's something I've been thinking about for a few seasons. If I felt I needed a break, then great.
"But I'm a rugby tragic, so jumping straight into it was appealing to me. It definitely does feel [like home]."
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...-wallabies-skipper-makes-australian-comeback/

Article also talks about how the Brumbies and Rugby Australia are monitoring the air quality and have options to shift the game if necessary.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's all about having the right balance, but definitely want Samu packing at the back of the scrum for his strong carries.......... Valetini breaking off the side to hulk smash.

One mistake the Vikings made was swapping around him and Valetini from how they played at the Brumbies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Crimes no longer reporting any plans to relocate the games in Round 2 and 3, only talking about plans for the trials in Albury and the Round 1 game against the Reds.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's all about having the right balance, but definitely want Samu packing at the back of the scrum for his strong carries.... Valetini breaking off the side to hulk smash.

One mistake the Vikings made was swapping around him and Valetini from how they played at the Brumbies.

Is Valetini a weaker ball carrier then Samu?
Playing Samu at 8 and Valetini at 6 seems to be around the wrong way, only going to harm Valetini Wallabies chances as well

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Playing Samu at 8 and Valetini at 6 seems to be around the wrong way, only going to harm Valetini Wallabies chances as well

Valetini is very strong in contact, but I would say that Samu is the stronger ball carrier and better link player.......... and he had some very impressive runs off the base of the scrum last year.

Valetini's strengths lie in his defence, workrate, and ability to shift bodies...........

But it's how the Brumbies played them last year and IMO worked best.

I don't think it would harm his Wallaby chances - he's a much different to player to Naisarani.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

Nah, Valetini is a classic 6. He's a good ball carrier but not a 'dynamic' carrier like Samu - IE not quite as explosive/agile/quick. I reckon he'll fill out the Hooper/Naisirani combo this year, and I can't wait for it (if he's not broken).

Just need someone to replace Arnold and a 10 and we're looking pretty solid.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One of Pete Samu's strengths is his ability to continue to make ground when tackled. As often as not will break the first tackle by his sheer will to keep going. In that regard, he is similar to McMahon and Ardie Savea. Probably suits No 8 moreso than No 6.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Samu is Sean McMahon-like for his size.............

He’s also surprisingly very reliable in the lineout - regular third choice jumper (generally at the front) for the Vikings.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Speaking of lineouts, will that affect the composition of the backrow? I'm assuming Swain will be one of the locks (we'll see who of Neville, Enever, Frost, or Douglas gets to be his partner (my money on Neville)). Swain is a fantastic lineout taker, and both Neville and Enever have a lot of experience calling lineouts.

Valetini was on the field for 90 lineouts last season and targetted exactly once. Over that same time, McCaffrey, Samu, and Cusack were targetted twelve times. So the backrowers are more there to be a lineout threat, it seems, rather than a primary target.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Good to hear! We are pretty lucky in Oz, in terms of what can be delivered for cancer patients. From the other side of the equation, it can be the best, and worst, thing to treat.
Only once for me. I was going through Lymphoma when CCL beat Leukemia. His recovery was unbelievable when you consider what is involved to beat it. We are truly blessed to have the care we are afforded in this country. Hope you're in the clear now BR:)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Only once for me. I was going through Lymphoma when CCL beat Leukemia. His recovery was unbelievable when you consider what is involved to beat it. We are truly blessed to have the care we are afforded in this country. Hope you're in the clear now BR:)

Thanks Silver. Under continuous monitoring, but no return since 2013. I also vouch for the standard of care and treatment available here, but otoh is very costly. Hope you are also going well.

Anyway, back to the rugby.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
No statement in the Crimes about any planned measure for which VC would take over when AAA is subbed. Powell is usually off by then as well, so probably Cusack or McCaffrey.