• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Trial - Tahs vs Highlanders @ Leichhardt - Friday 17/1/20 @6.45pm

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought the “play what is in front of you” philosophy was well implemented though easier in a trial than Super good hit out for the Tahs. While I think some of the Mason criticism is excessive he was outplayed by Harris.

Decent hit out for the Tahs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
the Young ones really stepped up - the investing in youth seems promising

Also as someone on the ground - in the second half the tah forwards completely dominated the highlanders in the set piece (when highlanders had full complement) - trial or no trial against a kiwi side impressive

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought the “play what is in front of you” philosophy was well implemented though easier in a trial than Super good hit out for the Tahs. While I think some of the Mason criticism is excessive he was outplayed by Harris.

Decent hit out for the Tahs.
Harrison did well, but we had front foot ball by then.

Mason, wasn't bad with a lot of rubbish ball

Harrison needs to start and be under the pump to show a better comparison

But it was a good start

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Good night out for the first match of the year. A few thoughts:
  • Leichhardt's a daggy old suburban oval with poor access, crap facilities and few decent viewing points. However, as Sydney FC occasionally use it the playing surface was excellent.
  • After the first five minutes the Clan chalked up two tries (IIRC all this time was in our half as well). The first try was from an intercept after some overly ambitious hot-potato passing while the second one was effected from some typical Kiwi strong-arm forward pounding near the posts. My heart sank as I envisaged a long and painful Super season.
  • That was as worse as it got for the boys in blue. The Clan might've spent only a coupla consecutive minutes in the Tahs' half for the rest of the match.
  • The Tahs' pigs muscled up and outstrong-armed the Kiwis to score three tries under the posts. Apart from the try scoring I though the Tahs got the better of the Clan pigs in open play.
  • The defence was clinical, good technique with low tackling and always two in the tackle.
  • There was a lot of adventurous passing by the Tahs all match, a few episodes of hot-potato by the outside backs but a lot of close-in pop passes which nearly all stuck. Very impressive, especially when two bashing-up phases combined with timely pop passes resulted in tries. After the first passage of quick ball to the outside backs resulted in an intercept try (some two minutes from the kickoff) I can recall only three other instances when the handling fell down: another intercept (but no Clan try, thankfully), a dropped ball and a wide and ambitious cutout pass from Mason which bounced over the touch line. The Tahs' passing was crap overall last year, heartening to see this has been addressed.
  • I don't know a lot of the newbies by sight so won't mark them; most of the old lags performed well. I'm thinking of HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Robertson, Swinton, Holloway (WTF can't you put in bruising performances like this very time, Jed?) and Gordon (best on ground). Fitzpatrick played the least minutes of the three rakes but was by far the most impressive. Only Hunt and Clark didn't stand out among the seniors brigade.
  • Mason continues to intrigue; RedsHappy has sung his praises to me many times over the years as one of the most talented schoolboy players he's seen. And yet he hasn't consistently kicked on. He must've been under instructions to play wide given the opportunity as he missed Hunt many times with cutout passes.
  • Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) performed extremely well in his debut. He's a former schoolboy athlete who may be better placed on the wing, but a very promising start at fullback.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
The handling was really impressive last night. It was raining all day and during the game, but I don't think the Tahs knocked on more than twice all game. And it's even more impressive given all the ambitious passing.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Very impressed by Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) and co. in that second last try. Excellent support play and offloading close to the ruck a la vintage ABs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mark Nawaqanitawase was outstanding. Really exciting and chanced his arm a fair bit with offloads but they were all well executed. Really puts himself in the frame for the matchday 23 from week 1.

The game was easier for Harrison when he came on than what Mason faced at the start of the game but Harrison looked decidedly better. I think he will quickly end up ahead of Mason.

Angus Bell was very impressive with his ball carrying in the second half. Hopefully his scrummaging can get to a good level and then he could be a very dynamic player.

Carlo Tizzano was terrific in the second half. Could certainly put himself forward as a bench 7 to give the Tahs the option of finishing with two 7s like they did with Hooper and Miller for much of the last couple of seasons.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The game was easier for Harrison when he came on than what Mason faced at the start of the game but Harrison looked decidedly better. I think he will quickly end up ahead of Mason.

While not having seen much of either of them BH, are either one of them going to be good enough to guide the Tahs around the park. I always worry for teams without a good 10.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
While not having seen much of either of them BH, are either one of them going to be good enough to guide the Tahs around the park. I always worry for teams without a good 10.

I think Beale will start the season at 10 but Harrison will eventually end up there as the starter (whether that is in 2020 or not, who knows?).

I do think Harrison will be good enough.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Wayne Smith of the Oz has picked Harrison as his 10 for the Wobbs. No ifs, no buts.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought NSW did pretty well. It could've gone pear shaped but they held their composure and held onto the football & showed what they can do.

D in the beginning was a bit loose, no surprise they are probably learning to adapt to the new structure.

They can definitely take more out of that than the Qld game. Makes the game in Dalby a tasty prospect indeed.

Reactions: dru