• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The other problem as I see it is that we have lost the fight against NRL and in particular AFL. We are now competing against basketball and the A-League for a slice of the remaining pie.

And the NBL is on the up and up..........

They're certainly benefiting from the future NBA stars now choosing to coming down here to play prior to kicking off their NBA careers, as well as the amount of Australian players, particular Ben Simmons, carving up in the NBA..........

Their crowds are up, and I'm not sure what their ratings are like, but they do have to pay their own way to produce their broadcasts but they have the benefit of being on both SBS Viceland and ESPN.

But they get far more news media attention than rugby these days.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And the NBL is on the up and up....

They're certainly benefiting from the future NBA stars now choosing to coming down here to play prior to kicking off their NBA careers, as well as the amount of Australian players, particular Ben Simmons, carving up in the NBA....

Their crowds are up, and I'm not sure what their ratings are like, but they do have to pay their own way to produce their broadcasts but they have the benefit of being on both SBS Viceland and ESPN.

But they get far more news media attention than rugby these days.

No idea with Viceland but I did look up their PayTV ratings recently. Nothing has really changed from season to season on that front.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/01/23/rugby-broadcast-castle

So Fox getting ready perhaps for loss of rugby to Optus and FTA - cutting its cloth back ready for that.

Would be great outcome btw if they got content on FTA as only way rugby has a chance to grow its brand and get wider reach

We could try and be a touch optimistic with what hey are doing. If you going to sink the current ship and start afresh I believe you may strip out any assets you may need in future and let expendable assets take control and scuttle it (they can even go down with it).

Far easier then to bring in new "unassociated faces" with the failed past product like a McArdle if they do keep it on FOXTEL in some form.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The only sustainable long-term solution is a trans- Tasman competition with complete free trade of players between teams. Now that might mean that initially the Australian teams may be filled 60-70% Kiwis, but at this stage being competitive and winning is more important than development in ensuring that these teams attract supporters. What people always seem to neglect is that nearly 50% of young NRL players originate from NZ these days and it's hardly seen as an issue.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is that actually true though, that 50% of the NRL players originate from New Zealand?
It’s a load of shit.

In 2017 the warriors naturally had the most kiwi born players with 24 but the next most was the Broncos with 10. The next best was the storm with 8.

5 teams had 4 or less.

It’s more around 25% of the league, with it been less than 20% if you moved the warriors out of the equation.

S

Show-n-go

It’s around 50% you have NZ/Islander origins, not specifically born there though

And anywhere between 7-15% of the NRL who claim some sort of aboriginality - just as an extra little fun fact

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s around 50% you have NZ/Islander origins, not specifically born there though

And anywhere between 7-15% of the NRL who claim some sort of aboriginality - just as an extra little fun fact

I think what you’re trying to say is players of Pasifika origin, that includes players from Polynesia and Melanesia regions... Its much, much broader then just New Zealander. Many of those other pasifika players would be rather offended to be categorised as kiwis, just ask the Tongan RL side.

S

Show-n-go

I think what you’re trying to say is players of Pasifika origin, that includes players from Polynesia and Melanesia regions. Its much, much broader then just New Zealander. Many of those other pasifika players would be rather offended to be categorised as kiwis, just ask the Tongan RL side.

Yea cheers mate

No I meant what I said kiwis/islanders, the stat encompasses both people from nz and the islands. Thanks for telling me what I mean though

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Whether here or the RA thread is a moot point but the Where To thread is where [no pun intended] I landed.

The no Fox, issue is big news, and even if Optus come in its hard to see a similar level of support as Optus don’t like paying for the broadcasting. Meaning if they hire in the broadcast companies it will come off the bottom line. Last media deal we where told a large chunk of the deal was overseas money from Europe and I assume that is still there.

Unless something huge changes, then we seem headed for a revenue shortfall and not being on Fox will mean less News coverage.

I guess there are talks ongoing about what to do, but at its simplest, games will be down and crowds are smaller, merchant sales are down, sponsorship will fall soon as well, and stadium costs are increasing. I do wonder aloud what contingency plans are in place for a different level of revenue falls.

Say
10% fall we do ???
20% fall we do ???
30% fall we do ???
40% fall we do ???

Anything that is done will be needed to be discussed and agreed with various stakeholders otherwise to ram thu backroom plans in a panic could hurt.

At what point does RA & Super Rugby set in place plans for significant falls in revenue, and have plans agreed with key stakeholders

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Whether here or the RA thread is a moot point but the Where To thread is where [no pun intended] I landed.

The no Fox, issue is big news, and even if Optus come in its hard to see a similar level of support as Optus don’t like paying for the broadcasting. Meaning if they hire in the broadcast companies it will come off the bottom line.

Unless something huge changes, then we seem headed for a revenue shortfall and not being on Fox will mean less News coverage.

I guess there are talks ongoing about what to do, but at its simplest, games will be down and crowds are smaller, merchant sales are down, sponsorship will fall soon as well, and stadium costs are increasing. I do wonder aloud what contingency plans are in place for a different level of revenue falls

Nah, the production costs comes out of Optus’s bottom line, not Rugby’s.

If it goes to plan with a guaranteed Super Rugby presence live on FTA through one of the commercial networks(Ch 10), then the revenue for sponsorship will increase, and, you would hope through increased exposure so too do the crowds.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
This comp is a mess. How do the Brumbies start with 3 weeks in a row at home and the Reds don't get a home game until Round 4?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The only sustainable long-term solution is a trans- Tasman competition with complete free trade of players between teams. Now that might mean that initially the Australian teams may be filled 60-70% Kiwis, but at this stage being competitive and winning is more important than development in ensuring that these teams attract supporters. What people always seem to neglect is that nearly 50% of young NRL players originate from NZ these days and it's hardly seen as an issue.

Many won't agree with you but competitions like EPL proved that is how you create great competitions (Look at teams like Aresenal who have always have had next to bugger all english players in their team) yet they are one of the biggest supported clubs in England.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Sigh! How good would it be it the powers at be were free to create a comp the fans would most enjoy, rather than being restricted by money.

I always think, aim for what brings the most joy, and let the money take care of itself. Life's too short to be a frustrated rugby fan year after year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Okay, Joe. What is your ideal comp?

I'd imagine a primarily domestic based competition. A properly professional NRC in theory. I actually think we could do it. Certainly couldn't be worse than Super Rugby at present. Centrally contract the players while changing exactly how we contract players. No more top ups. Replace it with a tiered salary level with match fee's. Work toward establishing partnerships with either the Top League or Japanese Pro League teams to come to a dual contracting agreement for players.

For the Wallabies. Make it purely match fee's.

Status
Not open for further replies.