• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Trial: QLD v NSW, John Ritter Oval, Dalby, QLD ; 24 Jan 7:30pm KO (local time), 8:30pm AEDT

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Big difference from last week. Tahs forwards struggled for go forward. Beale and Hunt were rubbish.

Lack of direction in attack. Some poor reads in defence.

Hooper and Dempsey played well.

I think the Forwards and 10 will make the season a struggle for the Tahs at times this year.

Hopefully round one will show more

B

Bobby Sands

I didn't think we looked good, but we definitely left points out there.

Tahs looked completely zapped, probably by the weather or maybe a tough conditioning block.

Its funny how all the 20s players already look the best. Wilson, Mark, Isaac, etc.

Ryan Smith looked very good for us. The Tahs should sign him really.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Zander is easing my concerns about our prop depth. 60 strong minutes tonight in terrible conditions for fat blokes. Much tougher assignment next week but he looks capable.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
It looked bloody hot. I'm pleased with the result, seen a few issues for the team to fix. Nothing too drastic thankfully.

Liking the intensity from everyone. Big Harry will just keep getting better. Good attacking play and the best thing is the back up options are looking really good. There will be pressure on 1-15 from the squad.

Harrison looking the goods to me and loving that mo on Gamble.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Big difference from last week. Tahs forwards struggled for go forward. Beale and Hunt were rubbish.

Lack of direction in attack. Some poor reads in defence.g

Hooper and Dempsey played well.

I think the Forwards and 10 will make the season a struggle for the Tahs at times this year.

Hopefully round one will show more

Out at dinner so did not see the game but interesting Hunt not performing as he was invisible against the Highlanders....

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He did indeed look good. So much so I'm feeling guilty me and my mate renamed him KR Darling-Downs during ther 2109 NRC season.
Haha - well, what fun would rugby be without a bit of banter. He certainly seems to be making a good fist of his opportunity.

I like that they have left him out there for big minutes too. Might be just that they didn’t want to expose the bench props too much, but hopefully he goes into next week with some match fitness given he has played good minutes in both trials.

He’ll need every advantage he can get against Ala'alatoa, and then some - but he’ll be better for the experience.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm thinking that it could be a very long and painful season for the Tahs. Beale looked slow and out of condition, the midfield was abysmal, the handling and skills gifted the game to the Reds and the back five in the pack were clearly outplayed. The open field defence looked OK, but maul defence will have the Brumbies salivating. I can only hope things pick up before next weekend.

The Reds team looked really good solely on the back of their younglings and JOC (James O'Connor). They might make the 8, but because of their lack of old heads in the pack I don't see them going much further than the quarters.

B

Bobby Sands

I'm thinking that it could be a very long and painful season for the Tahs. Beale looked slow and out of condition, the midfield was abysmal, the handling and skills gifted the game to the Reds and the back five in the pack were clearly outplayed. The open field defence looked OK, but maul defence will have the Brumbies salivating. I can only hope things pick up before next weekend.

The Reds team looked really good solely on the back of their younglings and JOC (James O'Connor). They might make the 8, but because of their lack of old heads in the pack I don't see them going much further than the quarters.

Agree with first bit.

Second bit is a long way away.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

You could well be right - but it was only a trial, and trial form is a notoriously poor guide.

To be honest, I don’t think either team played great but the Tahs ball security was truly awful so Reds got enough ball to get the job done. There were still some good points for both teams and some very good individual performances.

Anyone know how Mason is?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Overall I thought it was a good quality match...

For the Reds, the lineout was pretty woeful in the 1st but improved as the replacements came on, likewise I though the rolling maul and maul defence improved as the replacements came on as well. Against the Brumbies they really need to lift those areas of the game, I suspect BPA may start against the Brumbies in Rd1 for that reason.

Dane Zander did well in the scrum going up against wallaby capped Harry Johnson Holmes. Wilson, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Wright backrow combination looks to have a nice balance about it. McDermott showed more composure and control at halfback then he did last year i thought. Notably JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia didn’t really do too much, which I guess is a positive sign that it wasn’t left up to them. In terms of negatives I have reservations about the Reds reserve props, and CFS missed some easy tackles.

For the Tahs they just had no possession, and when they did it seemed like only a matter of time before they dropped the ball or turned it over in the tackle. Some really sloppy handling from them. Tahs forwards looked good when they got a roll on, Robbie Abel seemed to be everywhere in the first 40mins, but apart from Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) there wasn’t a whole lot about the Tahs backline which excited me. Hunt didn’t really do anything and Beale looked out of conditioning.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Wouldn't read too much into teams looking 'poor' in very hot and humid conditions in a trial game. There's normally a lot of teething problems and handling errors at the start of a season, multiply that by more in very humid conditions. Good to hear Dalby's had some recent rain too

Reactions: dru

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Overall I thought it was a good quality match.

For the Reds, the lineout was pretty woeful in the 1st but improved as the replacements came on, likewise I though the rolling maul and maul defence improved as the replacements came on as well. Against the Brumbies they really need to lift those areas of the game, I suspect BPA may start against the Brumbies in Rd1 for that reason.

Dane Zander did well in the scrum going up against wallaby capped Harry Johnson Holmes. Wilson, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Wright backrow combination looks to have a nice balance about it. McDermott showed more composure and control at halfback then he did last year i thought. Notably JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia didn’t really do too much, which I guess is a positive sign that it wasn’t left up to them. In terms of negatives I have reservations about the Reds reserve props, and CFS missed some easy tackles.

For the Tahs they just had no possession, and when they did it seemed like only a matter of time before they dropped the ball or turned it over in the tackle. Some really sloppy handling from them. Tahs forwards looked good when they got a roll on, Robbie Abel seemed to be everywhere in the first 40mins, but apart from Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) there wasn’t a whole lot about the Tahs backline which excited me. Hunt didn’t really do anything and Beale looked out of conditioning.

I actually thought the opposite, the Tahs maul regressed with the likes of Simmons etc. off which made the Reds maul defence look better. Either way it's an area of focus for the Reds because other teams will target it (ala. Brumbies). Discipline is also going to need to be a focus for them. Sometimes their (Reds) enthusiasm I feel leads to sloppy execution.

I felt the Tah's actually looked sharper in the opening stanza but soon waned. Abel is really putting his hand up as mentioned and I thought players like Bell and Dempsey had some nice moments as did the young boys. What I liked from them was the fight back which has really lacked at times at the Tahs.

I don't think either couch would be happy with the quality of rugby later in the game. I'd like to blame it on the humid conditions and likely a hard (shortened) preseason with tired bodies but things became very sloppy and Berry was really letting a lot of things slide with players coming in the side, flopping everywhere, tackling players well beyond the ruck and the general handling (more-so from the Tahs) was abysmal.

It was a right different affair for the Crusaders v. the Highlanders trial. The saders are ready to do a number on the Tahs round 1 I fear.

Overall the Reds are looking the better team but as others mentioned its early days and only a trial. On the positive the youth in both teams is bringing me a lot of joy for the future. Isn't (big) Wilson a gem and Nawaqanitawase continues to impress.