• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Nasser had it over Bell when they faced off in the scrum last night. Scrummaging looks to be a significant weakness for Bell.
Nasser’s scrummaging isn’t exactly a strong point either , so yes plenty to work on for Bell.

Have been very impressed with Zander. A lot of the early mail seemed to suggest he was fortunate to be in the squad . Saw him train at the session with the Broncos and he definitely looked a little off the pace then. But his scrummaging and game play in the two trials thus far have been quite good. He deserves his spot , well done to him .

B

Bobby Sands

I am rewatching the game and Harry Wilson is a proper 8. Seeing you blokes talking him up for the last few months, I've looking forward to seeing him play. Can't believe he has the game he has at 20.

I’ve never seen anything like him. He blows me away every time.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I don’t envisage the squad will differ far from that.

I think Paisami will be on the bench, set to replace Petaia at 40-60min mark as they increase his workload. Paisami has earned his spot through his trial form, CFS was average during the trials..

I also think they’ll start Rodda and sub him early, rather then bring him off the bench.

Josh Nasser is another THP option, between him and Feao, neither are ideal subs.

I tend to agree re: Paisami over CFS on the bench, certainly in my mind his form is better at the moment. The only differentiator could be I think CFS offers more utility. Having said we are lucky in that Hegarty, Stewart, Campbell and Lucas can play in multiple positions so it decreases the need for an additional utility back. I'd be happier if McReight was fit and raring to go. Though as Molman said it's a long season so no rush.

Reactions: dru

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Rugby.com.au reporting that Hoopert and Smith are racing time to be fit for next weekend. No mention of Fotuaika so reckon he is no chance.

Assuming those guys are right, as is Rodda (not sure) I'd go something like:

1 Dane Zander
2 Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3 Taniela Tupou
4 Lukhan Salakai-Loto
5 Angus Blythe
6 Angus Scott-Young
7 Liam Wright
8 Harry Wilson

9 Tate McDermott
10 Isaac Lucas
11 Henry Speight
12 James O'Connor
13 Jordan Petaia
14 Jock Campbell
15 Bryce Hegarty

16 Alex Mafi
17 JP Smith / Harry Hoopert (whomever is fit)
18 Dave Feao (there are no other tights heads are there?)
19 Izack Rodda
20 Seru Uru
21 Moses Sorovi
22 Hamish Stewart
23 Chris Feauai-Sautia
Switch Hegarty and Lucas and replace CFS with Paisami

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I know that’s what it will be but I like Hegarty’s game control and how he uses the strength of the whole backline. I guess I have always liked a traditional flyhalf. If you look at the Aus conference each team has one traditional flyhalf and one ‘run first’. The game flows better with a traditional flyhalf who knows where the plays are, rather than looking for them. Will Harrison, Bayley Kenuzle and Carter Gordon are IMO the best flyhalves coming through our system.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I know that’s what it will be but I like Hegarty’s game control and how he uses the strength of the whole backline. I guess I have always liked a traditional flyhalf. If you look at the Aus conference each team has one traditional flyhalf and one ‘run first’. The game flows better with a traditional flyhalf who knows where the plays are, rather than looking for them. Will Harrison, Bayley Kenuzle and Carter Gordon are IMO the best flyhalves coming through our system.

We may well have better game shape with Hegarty at 10, you’re right there I think. But I’m pleased to have Lucas there. Let’s see where it takes us.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Lucas is a valuable player for the Reds now and in years to come. I like him best at fullback. The best footy I have seen him play was in the Aus u20’s. A bit more practice in directional kicking and we could have ourselves the best fullback in the comp.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'd actually like to see maybe CFS on the wing, he'd give Lucas (and O'Connor to a lesser degree) a big body to dump the ball to and get him out of trouble while still making a few meters just with his bigger body.

Plus I don't REALLY rate Jock Campbell (yet) he's shown glimpses of being a quality player but he's not really shown what he needs to at Super Rugby yet, but coming off the bench could be good being able to cover any of the back three. Alternatively Hunter could be a bench option over Stewart as we have both O'Connor and Hegarty able to play both 10, 12 and 15 (the positions Stewart covers).

The other thing is, maybe a 6-2 split is an option given the glut of quality forwards we have along with versatile backs.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd actually like to see maybe CFS on the wing, he'd give Lucas (and O'Connor to a lesser degree) a big body to dump the ball to and get him out of trouble while still making a few meters just with his bigger body.

Plus I don't REALLY rate Jock Campbell (yet) he's shown glimpses of being a quality player but he's not really shown what he needs to at Super Rugby yet, but coming off the bench could be good being able to cover any of the back three. Alternatively Hunter could be a bench option over Stewart as we have both O'Connor and Hegarty able to play both 10, 12 and 15 (the positions Stewart covers).

The other thing is, maybe a 6-2 split is an option given the glut of quality forwards we have along with versatile backs.

From what I have seen of the two in contact - I'd say Jock is the bigger body...

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
As I've mentioned previously, this is the stuff that will help drive support and participation of rugby in QLD. How good was the turn out in Dalby. It might not sound like a big crowd but considering Dalby has 13 odd thousand peeps it's pretty decent.

"Brad Thorn says he would endorse a Super Rugby match being played in a regional area as the Reds continue their push to support all areas of Queensland."

"I think that'd be great," he said.
"From a coaching point of view and a guy who loves Queensland, I'd be all for that. I think that would be a really cool thing.
"It's not in my hands but I would think that'd be a great thing."
The new multi-million dollar stadium in Townsville could be a possible venue, while NRL matches have been played on rectangular fields in Cairns, Mackay and the Sunshine Coast and rugby Tests on the Gold Coast.

"We're pumped to be here. Gladstone treated us awesome, Dalby has been awesome - you saw that turnout," Thorn said of a crowd that approached 4000 with walk-ups for Friday's trial against the Waratahs.
"Right now is traditional rugby - everyone hanging around and chatting out on the field.
"I love regional trials, I just think the great opportunity is to get out there.
"We've done two now, along with the Reds to Regions and I really hope people are feeling like we have a real interest in rugby in the state, not just in Brisbane.
full article here:
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/01/25/super-rugby-reds-thorn-regional-games
I've long been an advocate of QLD playing more games around the state. Townsville is almost a no brainer. I really hope the QRU can kick on and get at least 1 ex Brisbane fixture per season. I'd love to see 3 if it can work financially.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
A lot of the NZ clubs have been hosting a game outside their home ground for awhile so I can see some value in a regional round.

Perhaps RA could make it a thing with all AU clubs going bush that round similar to the NRC. Tie it in with some competition for regional areas to try and win the team playing in their area or something so you have some authentic local buy in.

The challenge unfortunately will be reduced home games next year though.

I've got to say I really loved the Red's regional tour over the summer, was a great idea.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There should be a policy that trial games are played outside of Brisbane, people in Brisbane get enough opportunity to watch those players play and it means so much more for the regional communities.

During the season itself it gets a little harder, outside of Brisbane there are only 2 Tier 1 rectangular stadiums in QLD, Gold Coast and Townsville. Gold Coast is a graveyard for sporting teams and rugby union teams have struggle to attract an audience there, which really only leaves Townsville and its new stadium as a viable alternative. QRU should definitely take a game to Townsville next year, and it was probably a missed opportunity not to do it this year.