• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The big question marks are around the production side for these streaming options - local tv crews, commentators, hosts, producer/directors etc.

Local TV crews are certainly not an issue..........

All sporting broadcasts are outsourced.........

As I've mentioned before, it doesn't matter who is producing it whether it's Fox, Optus, Amazon, Channel 10 etc........... it will likely be the same crew.

Fair enough. I thought it was network 7 team that helped with that aspect of the SS? Even still you've got to imagine there is some capital and knowledge setup to get to the same level/quality. Havng watched a range of Rugby broadcasts from around the world there really is a spectrum of quality in game broadcasts. A good producer can really make for more enjoyable viewing. Not to mention that Rugby has some interesting extra requirements like the whole TMO setup.

Channel 7 don't do anything for the Shute Shield except plonk it onto one of their channels.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Local TV crews are certainly not an issue....

All sporting broadcasts are outsourced.

Well that makes it rather easy then. For some reason I thought someone like Fox with all their sport might have an inhouse team. I guess the accountants do like to outsource.

Looking at Amazon, it sems things like MLB.TV are at an extra cost. If they do pickup, I hope they'd keep it reasonable.

The Sky / NZRU arrangement is pretty interesting with NZRU getting a stake in Sky. Will make post 2025 negotiations interesting as they'll be more tied to each other.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well that makes it rather easy then. For some reason I thought someone like Fox with all their sport might have an inhouse team. I guess the accountants do like to outsource.

They'll have x amount of staff, but largely the production is outsourced to companies like NEP.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
One thing we need to remember is that it’s not fox sports that’s losing money, it’s Foxtel. Fox Sports is by in large a successful part of the business. They outsource parts of the business that generates lots of money in areas that people don’t realize. Including filming, etc, they are often employed by other broadcast networks to film and direct sporting events on the outsourcers behalf. One of the issues with Foxtel is that sport is the easiest method to cut costs down without preventing what looks to be an external reduction of content to its subscribers.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They outsource parts of the business that generates lots of money in areas that people don’t realize. Including filming, etc, they are often employed by other broadcast networks to film and direct sporting events on the outsourcers behalf.

Examples?

I only ask because I’m not familiar with any work Fox Sports does for a good other networks?

And it’s generally the opposite - Fox Sports, like almost everyone else, largely outsources their production out to the likes of NEP.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
OK.

What the actual F is happening for broadcast in 2020? Round 1 kickoff is next week, yes? Do we need Foxtel, Optus, Kayo or simply FTA?

They need to land on this, decision is late already.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Broadcast agreement currently been negotiated is for the season commencing in 2021...

Nothing changes for 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
One thing we need to remember is that it’s not fox sports that’s losing money, it’s Foxtel. Fox Sports is by in large a successful part of the business. They outsource parts of the business that generates lots of money in areas that people don’t realize. Including filming, etc, they are often employed by other broadcast networks to film and direct sporting events on the outsourcers behalf. One of the issues with Foxtel is that sport is the easiest method to cut costs down without preventing what looks to be an external reduction of content to its subscribers.

You can see the challenges for Foxtel. The return just isn't the same for streaming as it has been for their historic cable/sat products and with the cable sell off to NBN forcing you either to Sat or Now/Go/Play streaming service with the future being one of trying to compete with likes of Stan/Netflix/Disney/Prime etc.. Also the idea of watching shows live with ad breaks is really dying beyond sport. You've got to imagine it's a very different ad market.

Perhaps if Fox Sports is profitable they should just spin off the division. Call it Kayo Sports and tie it in with that app/branding or rebrand Kayo as Fox Sports.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Also the idea of watching shows live with ad breaks is really dying beyond sport. You've go to imagine it's a very different ad market.

Not really. Rugby has natural slots where an ad break can occur so changing to streaming won't have as big of an effect compared to the traditional model. Hell, I've been watching the TDU live whilst at work and they can slot ads into the stream where there's no natural pauses.

I'd almost argue, that streaming makes them a leaner and profitable company as most people aren't buying the crappy addons that bundles in channels that no-one watches. As a result, they don't have to pay for rights to air those shows/channels.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not really. Rugby has natural slots where an ad break can occur so changing to streaming won't have as big of an effect compared to the traditional model. Hell, I've been watching the TDU live whilst at work and they can slot ads into the stream where there's no natural pauses.

I'd almost argue, that streaming makes them a leaner and profitable company as most people aren't buying the crappy addons that bundles in channels that no-one watches. As a result, they don't have to pay for rights to air those shows/channels.

Yep. There's no reason why they cannot insert ads in alongside the coverage via a streaming platform. Hell, I'd prefer it. They could at set intervals or slow down in play split the screen and run an add or two while maintaining coverage.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
OK.

What the actual F is happening for broadcast in 2020? Round 1 kickoff is next week, yes? Do we need Foxtel, Optus, Kayo or simply FTA?

They need to land on this, decision is late already.

Haven't you seen the massive amount of advertising telling us exactly what is on, when, the pre-season analysis, the getting-us-all-excited promos?
:)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Personally I'd be happy to see the rights stay with Fox (for the right price).

I have grown to enjoy the Kayo app. It's pretty cheap, and easy to use. Especially for someone who rarely manages to catch the game when it's on live.

I'd be a bit annoyed if I had to sign up for another platform and learn to use it, whether it's Optus or Amazon. I'm a tragic so I'd do it but there'd be thousands who wouldn't.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Even one ad during game time is too many imo.

I'd agree with you if the alternative was a better choice. There is nothing gained by listening to the current presenter's during the pause in action (let alone when the game is being played). If the revenue generated by Ads means I pay less, then so be it!