• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Crusaders v Waratahs

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Tough first gig for the Tahs against the benchmark in Super Rugby. They looked pretty good against the Highlanders, but exposed by the Reds in the trials. Looks like they're trying for a more expansive game, but handling will have to improve if that's the game plan

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
This will be a bridge too far for the Tahs at this stage. I certainly don't expect a win, but will be looking more at the way they compete. I guess I'm specifically looking for the forwards to be competitive in both the set piece and general play, decent defence, a good level of discipline and ball control and occasions where they look to threaten. In short, the Saders coming away knowing they had to play well to win.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Crusaders were notoriously slow Super starters, but I think that was because they were full of senior NZ players who wanted to ease back into the season. Now that a lot of them have retired/sabbaticals/gone overseas I reckon the team will start a lot better. That's not good news for the Tahs!

Best we can hope for is that we are competitive. If we are its a good start, if not Penney can get his axe out and start pruning.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Crusaders were notoriously slow Super starters, but I think that was because they were full of senior NZ players who wanted to ease back into the season. Now that a lot of them have retired/sabbaticals/gone overseas I reckon the team will start a lot better. That's not good news for the Tahs!

Best we can hope for is that we are competitive. If we are its a good start, if not Penney can get his axe out and start pruning.

Still plenty of AB on their roster & NZR have decreed that none can play more than 180 minutes in Weeks 1-3 , must have two weeks in-season leave in addition to their bye weeks, and can't play more than six consecutive weeks (count restarts after a rest or bye week).

The absence of the June window will also make workload management more complex for both AB & non-AB players. In short I think that if Crusaders are to play finals footy again it'll be on the backs of their squad rather than a handful of superstars.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Can only ask for a respectful performance in this game. Feel less excited about Beale taking up the 10 jersey than seeing one of the young guys given a go. Curious to see where our defence is really at, and to get a little more insight as to who is ready to step up or not. I just get the feeling that the Crusaders are going to buck the trend of a slow start this year.

Hopefully they decide to front-load their player rest and considering that the games against conference teams are worth more we might luck out, though I really doubt it.

All Round Throbber

Frank Row (1)
Can't see why you would play Beale at 10. I would prefer Harrison with maybe Beale in the centres to help him out for a few weeks.

Anyone know when we will see Moeroa? A Hunt/Moeroa centre pairing just mincing people is a tasty proposition.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Tahs side:
1. Tom Robertson

2. Robbie Abel

3. Tetera Faulkner

4. Tom Staniforth

5. Rob Simmons (C)

6. Lachlan Swinton

7. Michael Hooper

8. Jed Holloway

9. Jake Gordon

10. Will Harrison

11. Alex Newsome

12. Karmichael Hunt

13. Lalakai Foketi

14. Mark Nawaqanitawase

15. Kurtley Beale

Reserves

16. Damien Fitzpatrick

17. Angus Bell

18. Chris Talakai

19. Ryan Mccauley

20. Jack Dempsey

21. Carlo Tizzano

22. Mitch Short

23. Jack Maddocks

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Surprised with Abel over Fitzpatrick and with Newsome over Maddocks. 10, 14, 17 and 21 is great! Any reason on Dempsey being on the bench?