• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What did people think of Dave Wessels comments in the Super Rugby launch (https://www.facebook.com/foxsportsaus/videos/110980620309933/ ~27min mark) about making a lot of mistakes and not really enjoying his coaching last year at the end of the season and that he was doing a lot of things around the team not brining him much joy/energy and spending less time with the players/hands on.

Said he has a hands on role this year.

Sounds a bit like he was doing more managing than coaching last year.

Stuart Lancaster spoke a lot about the different elements of coaching and how he appreciated the role Leo Cullen played at Leinnster in allowing him to focus on actual hands on coaching/running sessions. Worth a listen (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p080cl9k)

I do wonder how well we are managing our coaches/teams in this country. You get such a different impression from a well run org with happy coaches like the Brumbies vs some of the other franchises.

Haven't heard it but from what you write it sounds good that he's acknowledging his mistakes and trying to remedy it.

I appreciate Wessels might have a much higher ceiling than where he's at currently, just unfortunate for the Rebels his upskilling is happening now.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Haven't heard it but from what you write it sounds good that he's acknowledging his mistakes and trying to remedy it.

I appreciate Wessels might have a much higher ceiling than where he's at currently, just unfortunate for the Rebels his upskilling is happening now.

I felt like it spoke a bit to how the coaches are managed/nurtured. I know Gibson had some struggles during his time and even Thorn when he came in lacked some of the support he needed as a rather inexperienced coach.

You've got to imagine an unhappy coach isn't the best situation for a team.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It must be a known thing. RA honchos have regularly talked about nurturing the coaching talent as much as the players. Makes sense given the spread is so narrow in Australia. Gotta retain and upskill the guys here

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
This from the latest article in the Australian. Something to be proud of and show that things are slowly working/changing.

“Wellington-born Uelese came to Melbourne with his family as an 11-year-old and is one of eight Victorian players in the Rebels’ squad of 40. Indeed, that is more homegrown talent than the Melbourne Storm NRL side has produced in its 22-year existence.”

If that’s could realistically grow by 1/2 a year, it’d be a good result for the club and Aus rugby.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
So much for Maddocks leaving to concentrate on sevens. Didn't make the squad for the home leg this weekend

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So much for Maddocks leaving to concentrate on sevens. Didn't make the squad for the home leg this weekend

I thought the Sevens bit was purely for the Olympic qualification (he played the Oktoberfest tournament as a warm up then the Oceania 7s where the Aussie team qualified for the Olympics.

He is currently with the Tahs so I don't think any of the current/upcoming tournaments are on the radar.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
This from the latest article in the Australian. Something to be proud of and show that things are slowly working/changing.

“Wellington-born Uelese came to Melbourne with his family as an 11-year-old and is one of eight Victorian players in the Rebels’ squad of 40. Indeed, that is more homegrown talent than the Melbourne Storm NRL side has produced in its 22-year existence.”

If that’s could realistically grow by 1/2 a year, it’d be a good result for the club and Aus rugby.

Measures of success are interesting. People talk about the Melbourne Storm being such a successful franchise and as a franchise I agree but where is their loyalty to support the code? They have done very little to increase the league playing numbers in Victoria. They are in fact a drag on the rest of the NRL.

Great job Rebels.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought the Sevens bit was purely for the Olympic qualification (he played the Oktoberfest tournament as a warm up then the Oceania 7s where the Aussie team qualified for the Olympics.

He is currently with the Tahs so I don't think any of the current/upcoming tournaments are on the radar.

After Sydney there is still five tournaments (LA, Vancouver, HK, Singapore and Paris) prior to the Olympics. It is also worth noting Super Rugby final is 20/06 and the Olympics (7s) is 27/07-01/08. Still plenty of time for him to play again.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
front of jesery sponsor.JPG

Looks like a new front of jesery sponsor.