• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Brumbies v Reds

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Are there still issues with air quality? Canberra airport was shut last week due to smoke haze. I'm hoping it goes ahead because I think these 2 will be duking it out for the Australian conference

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Are there still issues with air quality? Canberra airport was shut last week due to smoke haze. I'm hoping it goes ahead because I think these 2 will be duking it out for the Australian conference

No, but it will be 40 so still high 30's by kickoff. The airport was shut because there was a fire right next to it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Going to take a stab, Rodda and Smith back from Injury; bench is a little odd, but I think that’s because Petaia will only play 60mins as he builds his minutes again.

1 JP Smith
2 Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3 Taniela Tupou
4 Lukhan Salakai-Loto
5 Izack Rodda
6 Angus Scott-Young
7 Liam Wright
8 Harry Wilson
9 Tate McDermott
10 Isaac Lucas
11 Henry Speight
12 James O'Connor
13 Jordan Petaia
14 Jock Campbell
15 Bryce Hegarty

16 Alex Mafi
17 Dane Zander
18 Dave Feao
19 Angus Blythe
20 Seru Uru
21 Moses Sorovi
22 Hunter Paisami
23 Hamish Stewart

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Going to take a stab, Rodda and Smith dies back from Injury; bench is a little odd, but I think that’s because Petaia will only play 60mins as he builds his minutes again.

1 JP Smith
2 Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3 Taniela Tupou
4 Lukhan Salakai-Loto
5 Izack Rodda
6 Angus Scott-Young
7 Liam Wright
8 Harry Wilson
9 Tate McDermott
10 Isaac Lucas
11 Henry Speight
12 James O'Connor
13 Jordan Petaia
14 Jock Campbell
15 Bryce Hegarty

16 Alex Mafi
17 Dane Zander
18 Dave Feao
19 Angus Blythe
20 Seru Uru
21 Moses Sorovi
22 Hunter Paisami
23 Hamish Stewart

Like it. I’d have Zander and Smith swapped for his return and don’t know enough about Paisami to comment. Looks close to where the trials we’re heading.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Should be a hard fought match. Un-rugby like heat could turn it either way.

I expect the Brumbies to look something like :

1 Sio
2 Fainga'a
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Douglas
5 Swain
6 Valetini
7 Cusack
8 Samu
9 Powell
10 Lolesio
11 Pulu
12 Simone
13 Kuridrani
14 Wright
15 Banks

16 McInerney
17 Lloyd
18 Slipper
19 Neville
20 McCaffrey
21 Lonergan R
22 Keunzle
23 Muirhead

Personally, I'd rather see Brown at 7 and Keunzle at 10, but I don't expect that to happen. If Enever is fit, I'd prefer him to Neville and maybe to start in place of Douglas. I most certainly would prefer Issac Fines as the bench No 9, but Ryan has good history with the Brumbies now and I expect him to come off the bench. Kata and Hanson both unlucky to miss out.

From trial form, I think that neither Lolesio or Keunzle at 10 will suffer against the likes of Lucas or Harrison when they meet. I think the Brumbies are a more settled squad and team and if they reproduce last year's form they should take the win in this game. But the Reds are on the rise and a win by them would not surprise.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
BR, I agree re: Fines. There was some real spark about him over at the Force. Your team list is pretty similar to what I expect.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Brumbies certainly the favourites in this match, that rolling maul is worth 10 points and starting wallaby props will cause headaches at the scrum. I think the Reds backrow-backline pose the greater attacking threat, whether they will get the clean ball to demonstrate that will be a critical factor.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lonergan will be there for his goal kicking and Brown might be there too considering McCaffrey only just got back from Japan.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Smoke being reported to have returned to Canberra. Hopefully will dissipate before Friday, but the heat could make proceedings very uncomfortable.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies certainly the favourites in this match, that rolling maul is worth 10 points and starting wallaby props will cause headaches at the scrum. I think the Reds backrow-backline pose the greater attacking threat, whether they will get the clean ball to demonstrate that will be a critical factor.

Underestimate the Brumbies backline at peril, Adam. Essentially the same as last year minus CLL, and I seem to recall they easily topped the try scoring in the Aussie teams while being near the top in the competition overall. Even disregarding the rolling maul tries, they were still at least on par with the Aussie sides iirc.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Underestimate the Brumbies backline at peril, Adam. Essentially the same as last year minus CLL, and I seem to recall they easily topped the try scoring in the Aussie teams while being near the top in the competition overall. Even disregarding the rolling maul tries, they were still at least on par with the Aussie sides iirc.

Why is it an underestimation of the Brumbies to say i think the Reds backs pose the greater attacking threat?

Ok, well how about the Brumbies have the better forwards and better backs, should be an easy win for them then.

S

Show-n-go

Brumbies to win 14+, reds will have a late surge in the final 20

If it were later in the year I’d probably back a reds win but especially early season, forward dominance is king

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
After the way the Brumbies melted in the heat at Suncorp last year , I hope it is as hot as predicted.

It’s been a brutal preseason temperature wise for the Reds ,might position them well for the final 20 minutes come Friday .