• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Beale will most likely start at flyhalf with Harrison off the bench

I guess you were right. Make sense with Mason limping and for the opposition. What I'm curious about is if it is in the balance again this season will they still make the substitutions unlike last year?

You have to feel for him (Mason) warming that bench in all those games.

I'd assume this means Maddock's will take the FB position.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Turinui is an astute reader of the game and close enough to make an observation on these guys, but I think we need to let all these guys play 1 test before we start anointing them. There are just so many variables. And that is not to take away from what a fine young player Bell is.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Big call. He may be correct in the long term but a couple of years is a bit soon. He struggled in the scrums against the Reds. He's only a pup so plenty of time to work on that, but it might take a couple of years before he's even a starter.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
If anything it just heaps pressure on a kid, which often has negative consequences.

It's always my concern for the young lads. The media (and RA) are sometimes so keen for a good news story that I think we talk some of them up well before they are ready, particularly at this time we everyone is keen to move on from the past. Let the rugby do the talking.

B

Bobby Sands

It's always my concern for the young lads. The media (and RA) are sometimes so keen for a good news story that I think we talk some of them up well before they are ready, particularly at this time we everyone is keen to move on from the past. Let the rugby do the talking.

It’s a different world, young blokes are rugby. They are so well prepared, it’s not this cosmic leap anymore. It anything you should feel for the old guys.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It’s a different world, young blokes are rugby. They are so well prepared, it’s not this cosmic leap anymore. It anything you should feel for the old guys.

Agree. Look at the average ages of Super Rugby, AFL (currently ~24) or NRL (currently ~25) squads over the past 10 years.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/just-number-average-ages-starting-positions-super-rugby/ This article is from 2018. Post work cup you see a substantial change but based on this data in 2008 the youngest starting 15 had an average of 25 while the same stat from 2018 was 23.

Professional sport is a young mans game.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Fair comment. I guess I'm just reflecting on too many young men who were talked up too early or didn't handle the media spotlight.

@Jimmy_Crouch... yes there has been a bit of discussion around the average age of players. Here is a more recent article about it for the NZ teams: https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...-big-challenge-super-rugby-is-getting-younger

That said, I'd be curious if it is reflected on an international level. That French team for the 6 nations is looking young but then it has next world cup written all over it, so should be a respectable average age by then.

B

Bobby Sands

Fair comment. I guess I'm just reflecting on too many young men who were talked up too early or didn't handle the media spotlight.

@Jimmy_Crouch. yes there has been a bit of discussion around the average age of players. Here is a more recent article about it for the NZ teams: https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...-big-challenge-super-rugby-is-getting-younger

That said, I'd be curious if it is reflected on an international level. That French team for the 6 nations is looking young but then it has next world cup written all over it, so should be a respectable average age by then.

The French side is remarkably young, and on the back of two U20 world cups winners they will probably get younger. Players are routinely stepping up from that tournament and playing internationally. McReight, Wilson, Mark, Lucas will do the same pretty quickly.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I said Vice Captain, not Captain.

vice captains are now less likely to be subbed than captains?...

... I get your general point, but I think as fatprop was trying to highlight it doesn't necessarily mean Beale being on the field all the time is a given either. Brumbies are dealing with the whole prop captain by having a trio of VC's and Im sure someone like Hunt (like in trials) or another senior player would be elevated if both Beale and Simmons are off.

You might be right about Beale, but I really thought he looked a little cooked at times last year so I was more just pondering if they might manage that better this year.

Alex Ross (28)
vice captains are now less likely to be subbed than captains?.

The talk was about Beale being managed and playing less minutes to freshen him up for tests. I’m saying you don’t select someone to be VC if you are going to be subbing him off regularly. VC’s are the back up Captain and the first person to be expected to be making decisions in the back end of a game if the Captain is off.
You don’t pick someone your not expecting to play a big part of the season as VC. You especially don’t pick a VC who is part of the general plan of substitution / rotations.

Hooper stepping down as Captain suggests he may be taking a step back on the minutes he plays. Beale picking up VC suggests the opposite.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I guess you were right. Make sense with Mason limping and for the opposition. What I'm curious about is if it is in the balance again this season will they still make the substitutions unlike last year?

You have to feel for him (Mason) warming that bench in all those games.

I'd assume this means Maddock's will take the FB position.

Nope info was wrong Harrison at 10 Beale at 15