• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Shute Shield Clubs in 2019 were:
image.png
image.png

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
You’ll get Tongan Thor for a few games, that’s something. Brothers won’t be happy

I do not know if this is confirmed.

But if he does come. I hope he brings his brother Criff who is quite the handy backrower who would be stuck at brothers behind a allstar cast of backrower options.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I do not know if this is confirmed.

But if he does come. I hope he brings his brother Criff who is quite the handy backrower who would be stuck at brothers behind a allstar cast of backrower options.

If Criff is still playing I imagine he will get more game time at Brothers this year with Wilson and McReight featuring for the Reds (moreso Wilson at the start of the season).

It was mentioned earlier in either this thread or the Reds one that regardless of the club he plays for, Tongan Thor likely won't feature much at club level. He is an integral part of the Wallabies front row stocks at the moment and the perfect piece to build on as we wait another 4 years for a crack at the cup. I don't think any clubs will be looking at him as a savior for them in the QPR.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Tupou still listed as Brothers on the latest Red team list, maybe it hasn't been updated but Hamish Stewart is listed as Brothers so some amendments have been made. Interestingly Feao Fotuaika is listed against GPS now, and JOC (James O'Connor) is listed against Brothers

1. JP Smith – GPS
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Angus Blyth – Bond University
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. Liam Wright © – Easts
8. Harry Wilson* – Brothers
9. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
10. Isaac Lucas – Sunnybank
11. Henry Speight* – Bond University
12. James O’Connor – Brothers
13. Jordan Petaia – Wests
14. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland
15. Bryce Hegarty – GPS

16. Alex Mafi – Bond University
17. Dane Zander** – Norths
18. Feao Fotuaika – GPS
19. Izack Rodda – Easts
20. Seru Uru** – Easts
21. Moses Sorovi – Wests
22. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
23. Hunter Paisami** – Wests

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
GPS were on a big recruiting drive for props in the offseason, they must have got early mail about Ruan leaving the Reds. They've based a lot of their play over an excellent set piece in the last few seasons and obviously didn't want to go backwards.

From what I heard, if you were a prop who was playing, had played or potentially could play for the Reds and were Brisbane based, GPS gave you a call. Didn't know they got Feao though, good for the back end of the season if he stays fit.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Spot on about GPS identity there Phil.

Most teams worry about giving up the 3 points in their own territory.
Gotta be worried with GPS they’ll kick for the corner and hope for a 5m line out that will turn into a 5m scrum that will turn into a scrum yellow card that will turn into a penalty try under the post. (Wests has lost some heartbreaking close contest to this very sequence of event)

If GPS had better backlines behind their forward pack I think they would of converted more final appearances to championships.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
GPS were on a big recruiting drive for props in the offseason, they must have got early mail about Ruan leaving the Reds. They've based a lot of their play over an excellent set piece in the last few seasons and obviously didn't want to go backwards.

From what I heard, if you were a prop who was playing, had played or potentially could play for the Reds and were Brisbane based, GPS gave you a call. Didn't know they got Feao though, good for the back end of the season if he stays fit.

Ruan might still head up after Super Rugby.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Spot on about GPS identity there Phil.

Gotta be worried with GPS they’ll kick for the corner and hope for a 5m line out that will turn into a 5m scrum that will turn into a scrum yellow card that will turn into a penalty try under the post. (Wests has lost some heartbreaking close contest to this very sequence of event)

If GPS had better backlines behind their forward pack I think they would of converted more final appearances to championships.

I like the backline we had last year. Hopefully it will get us there or thereabouts again this year!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ruan might still head up after Super Rugby.

Different dispensation rules apply for guys not contracted by the QRU come finals time though..

GPS didn’t manage to get Hergarty and I think Sean McMahon over the line a couple years ago when they were at the Rebels. Not sure if they could do anything differently either.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)

If GPS had better backlines behind their forward pack I think they would of converted more final appearances to championships.[/quote]

Not a vote of confidence in the two Aus under 20 props that they have in the club but it is fair given how well they scrum. But it is a clear sign of intent on the way they want to play.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Different dispensation rules apply for guys not contracted by the QRU come finals time though..

GPS didn’t manage to get Hergarty and I think Sean McMahon over the line a couple years ago when they were at the Rebels. Not sure if they could do anything differently either.

Agree but this was due to number of games played prior to finals. With the earlier start to Super Rugby even if the Rebels make the final GPS still have another 7 games.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Not a vote of confidence in the two Aus under 20 props that they have in the club but it is fair given how well they scrum. But it is a clear sign of intent on the way they want to play.

You’re going to lose the U20s for most of May-July

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Clubs also need to have respect - probs not at Crosby Road though which I guess is why the us vs them mentality exists with every other club. What’s new? Brothers recruit another star so it’ll be interesting to see how many of their teams choke again in 2020..last year must have had a huge air of disappointment given the programme they run.

Oracle you off your meds again?? Mate I went to the grand finals days last year and what a great couple of days of rugby. There was no disappointment either; the boys all played well, just couldn’t get over the line. Very proud of all of them. Only disappointing thing about it is your crappy comments. As for the program well, I’ll take 8 grand finals any day, compared to your clubs general performance.

Probably why Hamish is coming to our club; don’t forget there are quite a few of his old school mates at the club already.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Oracle you off your meds again?? Mate I went to the grand finals days last year and what a great couple of days of rugby. There was no disappointment either; the boys all played well, just couldn’t get over the line. Very proud of all of them. Only disappointing thing about it is your crappy comments. As for the program well, I’ll take 8 grand finals any day, compared to your clubs general performance.

Probably why Hamish is coming to our club; don’t forget there are quite a few of his old school mates at the club already.

Sure was a top day wasn’t it! All the best

Reactions: vac

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the paper today:

Souths coach Elia Tuqiri and his backs boss Paul Brown have moved to GPS to work beside head coach Elwee Prinsloo.

Reds pair Scott Malolua and Feao Fotuaika have followed.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I'm shifting up to Brisbane at Easter for a new job - trying to decide which Club team to get behind. Planning on living around Tingalpa/Cannon Hill area. Suggestions?

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm shifting up to Brisbane at Easter for a new job - trying to decide which Club team to get behind. Planning on living around Tingalpa/Cannon Hill area. Suggestions?

Mate welcome to gods country.
You have a choice of three Southside clubs.
Easts are closest and are a pretty decent bunch of blokes.
Souths are a bit further away and if you are a rebels supporter you might like the Quade connection and are a pretty welcoming place.
Sunnybank are next and are probably Have the best facilities personally I find it a bit soulless.

overall we have a pretty good community who all support the code it is just a matter of the colours.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
The 'bank is the fucking pits. Only joint where I've had a game called off because of sideline ferals invading the pitch to fight us literally 5 mins into the game.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Geez Wests must really be feeling the pinch this year. They have now lost Jerry Lynch (NZ), Liam Dillon (Bond), Isaac Henry (Brumbies), Efi Ma'afu (Sunwolves) and more than likely Hunter Paisami in the reds 23. Do they have the depth or new recruits to replace these key players? Could be a tough year with a new coach at the helm too.