• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Crusaders v Waratahs

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I like the side given who is available. Harry Johnson-Holmes is definitely a big loss.

It will be good to have him, Ned Hanigan and Tepai Moeroa available for selection to add some more quality to the 23.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I like the side given who is available. Harry Johnson-Holmes is definitely a big loss.

It will be good to have him, Ned Hanigan and Tepai Moeroa available for selection to add some more quality to the 23.

What is the word on Moeroa?

The challenge with the Super Rugby season is blink and it is finished

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes. Interesting that the article listed 3 players that were unavailable through injury/sickness but not Moeroa

So he maybe now"fit" but not selected, has missed the trials and has little opportunity to get the game time he needs anywhere

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh the joys of being a 'Tahs supporter! Actually, I like it, they will need to lift their game from last week, especially going up against the Crusaders first round.

I've got Tahs by a small margin, (5-7) but not sure it's going to be pretty......

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Interesting side. Tight five doesn't excite me that much, tradesman-like is probably the most generous description I can give them. The backrow, on the other hand, looks the goods, particularly with Dempsey and Tizzano to come on later. The halves are the big question mark, bold move by Penney but he's thrown the dice, let's see where it lands. Centres have been uninspiring in the trials, however both guys have a fair bit more upside than that, so here's hoping. Back three with plenty of attacking fire-power, I like that.

Can't wait.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well as it is first round, I will attempt to keep my positiveness. I think the bench is often the best way to judge a side and there are few potential game changers to come on and lift the team

"16 Damien Fitzpatrick, 17 Angus Bell, 18 Chris Talakai, 19 Ryan Mccauley, 20 Jack Dempsey, 21 Carlo Tizzano, 22 Mitch Short, 23 Jack Maddocks"

We live in hope

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Crusaders:
15. David Havili
14. Will Jordan
13. Braydon Ennor
12. Jack Goodhue
11. Leicester Faingaanuku
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Mitchell Drummond
8. Whetukamokamo Douglas
7. Tom Christie
6. Tom Sanders
5. Mitchell Dunshea
4. Scott Barrett (c)
3. Oliver Jager
2. Andrew Makalio
1. George Bower

Reserves: Codie Taylor, Isi Tu'ungafasi, Michael Ala'alatoa, Luke Romano, Cullen Grace, Bryn Hall, Brett Cameron, Sevu Reece.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Joe Moody and George Bridge rested and Mo'unga, Barrett and Goodhue limited to 40 minutes.

Advantage Waratahs (expect the line to shift from 18.5 to 16.5 :) )

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Joe Moody and George Bridge rested and Mo'unga, Barrett and Goodhue limited to 40 minutes.

Advantage Waratahs (expect the line to shift from 18.5 to 16.5 :) )

Does that mean that the captain only plays 40? That's unusual.

Already we see NZ "resting" players after the WC. They have a totally different philosophy to Australia in terms of player management and burnout. Perhaps that's why the National team does so well in International matches?

If the Waratahs did the same then Simmons, Dempsey, Hooper, Beale would be getting some rest this weekend.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Already we see NZ "resting" players after the WC. They have a totally different philosophy to Australia in terms of player management and burnout. Perhaps that's why the National team does so well in International matches?

The flipside is that they have the depth to cover it. The catch-22 is that this sort of policy helps create that depth.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

If the Waratahs did the same then Simmons, Dempsey, Hooper, Beale would be getting some rest this weekend.

RWC players are limited to 180 total minutes in n Rounds 1-3, must be given two rest weeks in addition to the two Bye weeks, and cannot appear in more than six consecutive ma ch-day 23's (count restarts after a Bye or rest week).