• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

I did not envision Harry Wilson getting the starting gig on debut. Congrats

Whilst he is a marvellous young talent who was NRC player of the year I assumed he was going to have to earn his way into starting spot.

Bring on the baptism of fire. Go you young lads!

Really?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
i think its no surprise due to injuries. May have been a different story had Hockings, Rodda and McReight all been fit.
Unbelievable depth.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Looking at the match day 23, the balance of clubs represented appears to be the most 'leveled' I've seen in quite some time. While I haven't followed QPR too closely, but it appears to be unusual that the Brothers and Heavies have a small representation?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Back in early Jan Brad Thorn named 3 player to watch; Paisami, Uru and Zander.. I know some of those names were met with a bit of scepticism from people, me included.. But all 3 are in the 23 for the first match of the season.

great pick up. They've all surprised me so far. The Zander / Fotuaika emergence over the last couple of years is a real credit to Thorn (and his staff, Lilycrap in particular). Neither was really on the radar but they've come on and helped build greater depth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looking at the match day 23, the balance of clubs represented appears to be the most 'leveled' I've seen in quite some time. While I haven't followed QPR too closely, but it appears to be unusual that the Brothers and Heavies have a small representation?

Would it shift substantially if a few of the injured players who would ordinarily make the gameday 23 were back?

Hoopert - Brothers
Hockings - UQ
McReight - Brothers
Wood - Brothers

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Back in early Jan Brad Thorn named 3 player to watch; Paisami, Uru and Zander.. I know some of those names were met with a bit of scepticism from people, me included.. But all 3 are in the 23 for the first match of the season.
Agree Adam

Thought initially, probably like a few, that Thorn was just taking a bit of heat off his young guns of Wilson , McReight and Lucas by mentioning the three he did.

Great to see they have made the most of the opportunity.

B

Bobby Sands

Brothers have a simply incredible crop coming through.

Wilson, Flook, Faessler, Wood, McReight, Creighton, Ryan Smith, Pappin etc + probably a whole heap more Nudgee boys like Vella etc.

Fried_Chicken_and_Beer

Stan Wickham (3)
There are only 2 suitable rectangular stadiums in Queensland outside of Brisbane which have the necessary corporate facilities, lighting, capacity and pitch quality to host a Super Rugby or Test game.. Gold Coast and Townsville.

Would the Stadiums that the Northern Pride and Mackay Cutters play out of in Q Cup be viable options? NRL have taken games up there. Might be options outside of Townsville and GC.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would the Stadiums that the Northern Pride and Mackay Cutters play out of in Q Cup be viable options? NRL have taken games up there. Might be options outside of Townsville and GC.

the Mackay stadium is actually pretty damn excellent.

Barlow Park in Cairns is fine and has hosted NRL games. The Reds have played their in a trial v the Rebels (my commentary debut!). It's decent too, although has a running track around it.

Sunshine Coast Stadium is very good and has got funds to turn it into a rectangular field rather than an oval.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Brothers have a simply incredible crop coming through.

Wilson, Flook, Faessler, Wood, McReight, Creighton, Ryan Smith, Pappin etc + probably a whole heap more Nudgee boys like Vella etc.
Yes we do. Harry Vella just finished school last year. Looking forward to seeing more of him but don’t think we have locked him up at Brothers yet.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes we do. Harry Vella just finished school last year. Looking forward to seeing more of him but don’t think we have locked him up at Brothers yet.
Think you have your man Rob .

UQ thought they had Vella’s services at one stage last year , but the word is he will be at Crosby.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm very excited about tomorrow's game. My main concern is, will our forwards be able to hold their rolling mauls? Can those who have seen the Brumbies trial this year please share their thoughts?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'm very excited about tomorrow's game. My main concern is, will our forwards be able to hold their rolling mauls? Can those who have seen the Brumbies trial this year please share their thoughts?

Brumbies maul looks to have maintained the same momentum as 2019... reds maul defence looked shaky at times during the trials

B

Bobby Sands

I was very interested in Michael Woods comments about defensive mauls, it sounds like they have done a fair bit of theory in terms of how they want to set up. I hadn’t heard any commentators talk about maul structure like he was.