• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Brumbies v Reds

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well done both teams, glad the Brumbies took it, to good in the heat in the second half. Winner Winner Chicken dinner Lolesio better at 10 then Lucas. All new players stood up though

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well done both teams, glad the Brumbies took it, to good in the heat in the second half. Winner Winner Chicken dinner Lolesio better at 10 then Lucas. All new players stood up though

Yep, all the new players in both teams did really well on debut, Lolesio looked the better of the 10s but they will both take some big learning points away from that game..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
While JOC (James O'Connor) is not a fantastic 10, he is a mile better than Lucas at 10 who really struggled in attack. The last ten minutes of the match with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and Paisami on the field ignited what had been a poor backline showing. Hope we see next week JOC (James O'Connor) start at 10 with Paisami and Petaia in the centres.

Hmmm i think that would be a knee jerk reaction after just one game, playing 10mins at the end of the game is a lot different then starting 10. I think Lucas has a far greater upside at 10 then JOC (James O'Connor) does, Reds need to invest a bit of time in him to get him to that standard, there’s no reason JOC (James O'Connor) cant slide into 10 during the game to ease that pressure and share the playmaking role.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fantastic start to the season. Sad Reds didn't get the biccies but how good is rugby. Both teams played positive rugby and there were some cracking tries. That solo Banks effort was sublime and Harry Wilson is nuts. How old is he? Surely he'll be our best for a long time.

Good news is Reds were within a whisker with our wunderkid, team carrying Petaia playing like absolute shite.

Also loved both starting 10s out there. Great not seeing the old guard.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fantastic start to the season. Sad Reds didn't get the biccies but how good is rugby. Both teams played positive rugby and there were some cracking tries. That solo Banks effort was sublime and Harry Wilson is nuts. How old is he? Surely he'll be our best for a long time.

Good news is Reds were within a whisker with our wunderkid, team carrying Petaia playing like absolute shite.

Also loved both starting 10s out there. Great not seeing the old guard.

Tom Wright scored a cracking try and had some brilliant runs what a game from him, the confidence to just go at the corner and take on Lucas is awesome.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Congratulations to both teams. Put on a tremendous spectacle in extremely trying conditions. Thought the standard of play was a big step up from the Blues/Chiefs encounter.

Glad to see the Brumbies get up, but it could have gone either way. Neither side would be disgraced by losing in those conditions.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I meant between their stints as captains. But I could see the three of them forming the Wallabies backrow at some future time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting tidbit courtesy of Rugby.com.au.

Henry Speight became the only player to have scored a try against every team in Super Rugby.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wilson excellent debut despite a couple of wayward off-loads to no one in particular. Reminds me of a young Mark Loane, suspect he turn out to be almost as good.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Lolesio for me. Lucas looked like he was being played out of position.

Oh rubbish. Lolesio may have taken a points win but not much in it. Lucas played well and hopefully will continue to play himself into the role. Lucas D in position is superior, secondary I know but a definite strength. Lolesio wins it for me due to the depth that Lucas ended up playing.

I expect them both to do well.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Wilson excellent debut despite a couple of wayward off-loads to no one in particular. Reminds me of a young Mark Loane, suspect he turn out to be almost as good.

Leaving aside the fact that Loane played 6 mostly. /reg

He reminds me more of a McCaffrey ball-playing 8. And we know that Australia doesn't like footballing 8s.

Or at least that's what Cheiks told us

:)