• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Crusaders v Waratahs

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You deserve to quit rugby if a front rower takes a quick tap and it leads to a try. Whole team - straight to Maccas flipping paddles.

Reactions: mst

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
FFS -- I don't even think we've looked THAT bad I just think the Crusaders are a level of great that we'll never be.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
FFS -- I don't even think we've looked THAT bad I just think the Crusaders are a level of great that we'll never be.
Procession walk wont do this completely fucked competition any favours, as all 52 Christchurch residents tune in to see them win half of all the super rugby titles there are. Big tv money that.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
cantabs_zpssb6mcwjg.png
"Greetings to you, my blessed and assembled custodians of The Red & Black Cloth. It is I, Razor, your chosen oracle of 3-Peating Munificence. Blessed be Lancaster. And accursed be Foster the Interloper who got my fucken AB's gig. Fuck that guy. Now then. Some sombering news to report from the great and virtuous and almighty Crusaders first round match today. The vicious and spoiled Sydneysider children have cruelly and recklessly scored a whopping 25 points against our heroic guardians of The Guild. Some sort of Patrick Mahomes Nawaqantasawaseawase fellow on the wing caused some mild consternation but him and his foolish rebel alliance uprising were soon quelled and all available competition points were eventually accrued. Long live the Death Star, Blessed be The Vag, Holy be the One Eye."

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Great finish from Mark N (Nawaqanitawase).

How the fuck do you pronounce his last name? Someone educate me.
I take the cop out and just refer to him as Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) as sure as heck some g&gr purists would get to me for spelling his surname wrong

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Well, that was probably no worse than I expected. The Saders are just so much better at taking advantage of half chances, whereas the Tahs defence just fell apart against fast, broken field play. The lineout was good, scrum less so, plenty of turn-overs which was a positive, and from time to time we looked a genuine attacking threat, which is what I was hoping to see. We were rarely able to capitalise on it, but that will come. Probably the most disappointing facet I thought was the tackling, way too many misses.

Most of the young guys showed a bit, but also showed their inexperience. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is a real attacking threat, but has to fix his defence, Will Harrison showed enough I thought, although his lack of experience was also obvious. Jake Gordon is a very dangerous runner, but Short throws a better pass. Robbie Able was a great buy, Faulkner not so, it was his side where the scrum started to falter. I would probably prefer to see Talakai there if HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is unavailable. I like Swinton's involvement and aggression, but he's got hands like feet.

Bit of criticism of Beale here, I though he was just about the most dangerous attacking player on the field, and he kicked well (as does Harrison by the way). He may have made a couple of mistakes, but a lot of that results from a lack of support. When you have a player like Beale on the paddock, if he runs the ball you just need to bust you gut to get on his shoulder!

Anyway, just my random thoughts.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) did well on attack, Harrison looked good for a debut, Beale looked good on attack but made the wrong decision every break - infuriating. Thought Abel did surprisingly well. Newsome should probably be dropped for Clarke.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) did well on attack, Harrison looked good for a debut, Beale looked good on attack but made the wrong decision every break - infuriating. Thought Abel did surprisingly well. Newsome should probably be dropped for Clarke.

Would prefer Newsome to be dropped for Maddocks.

Wouldn't mind seeing Moerea on the bench, to come on at 12 with Foketi shifting to the wing one game.

Want to see the big fucker running short balls in the 10-12 channel.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Well, that was probably no worse than I expected. . .

Froggy I agree with many of your musings. I find Beale a little infuriating as he is a real threat in attack, but if you look closely his defence is still lacking and I feel he makes some poor decisions at times. The unpredictability of his play - which creates opportunities in attack becomes a hinderance for his supporting team mates. He made it a lot harder than it needed to be with some of those run returns by not linking up with supporting players, whilst often not creating any new opportunity. That break that he didn't capitalise on was also disappointing with a switch back to Gordon being well on the cards.

Mark N (Nawaqanitawase). I felt looked nervous early on but grew into the game. Agree that his defence might be a concern. That kick off regather showed some Folou like potential tho.

Gordon I thought had a good game, with his box kick looking to have improved which was nice to see as he's always been a running threat. That said, I agree, Short is looking a good prospect. Would have liked to have seen him a little earlier as he really did pick up the tempo and had some real pace on those passes.

I think Ruggbynutter39 was a little harsh on Hunt and Folketi. We don't have the big ball carrier of other teams (well not until we see Lasila and Moerea's potential), but the two of them actually made some good gain line and were looking a genuine threat in attack at times. It will be interesting to see how Lasila and Moerea go. Hopefully they will add a different shape to the attack.

Agree re: Abel, he's playing like a young man and appears to be enjoying himself. I was actually not unhappy with the scrum after the dismal showing in the Reds trial. Work to do, yes but not the total disaster it could be.

Newsome was a disappointment (last try aside). Agree that Maddocks is probably not a bad option on the wing, though I do still rate Clark. I agreed with the commentators that Maddock's should have just put his head down when he made that break.

I think Tom Stainforth was really solid. He seems to be a little unpopular but has put in some really good shifts at times this being one of them.

Anyway, overall I'm not unhappy with what I saw. There is enough positives there to be hopeful that we will continue to improve. The discipline was generally good and defence looked for many parts of the game to be solid. As pointed out we lost something in broken play and need to be a little more switched on at times as we look vulnerable when players loose that connection in the line.

I thought all the young guys by and large played pretty well for their first Super Rugby game.