• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought the Sevens bit was purely for the Olympic qualification (he played the Oktoberfest tournament as a warm up then the Oceania 7s where the Aussie team qualified for the Olympics.

He is currently with the Tahs so I don't think any of the current/upcoming tournaments are on the radar.
He has to actually prove his worth to get picked for the Olympics but. Ultimately I don’t like it if he wants to go to the Olympics I understand that it’s the holly grail of all sport to win Olympic gold. But if he wants to go to the Olympics he should commit full time to the 7s program instead hoping to steal a spot from a bloke who has given everything to the team

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Incredibly pathetic. To'omua is awful. DHP makes horrible decisions all the time. Ross Haylett-Petty and Rob Leota are as ineffective as they come. Angus Cottrell hasn't ever been anything but average. Worrying.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Opening game of the season with the buzz around rugby after the world cup it's no surprise it's sold out. The interesting thing will be the Sunwolves squad this year, will they try compete or have they accepted defeat already.

I guess we have our answer. Sunwolves lead the Australian conference. Rebels in last position.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Incredibly pathetic. To'omua is awful. DHP makes horrible decisions all the time. Ross Haylett-Petty and Rob Leota are as ineffective as they come. Angus Cottrell hasn't ever been anything but average. Worrying.

I am forced to agree about Matt To'omua. I think it should be the last time we see him in the 10 jersey. Leave it to Deegan who went quite well when he came on, and concentrate on winning the 12 jersey long term.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
just read Haylett-Petty's post match comment in the Herald: "Plenty for us to work on and plenty of time left in the season so we'll go away and work hard" !! WTF - it begs the question as to WTF have they done all off season?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
for the past two years the Rebels have started like a house on fire, only to have a very poor second half of season. perhaps they are trying the reverse this year !:D

nah just not up to it.:mad:

Alex Ross (28)
I'm trying to work out what people in the business see in Kellaway.

Huh? He outplayed the John Eales medalist on the other side of the field. Some may whinge about the chip kick turnover, but at least he was trying something where the almost complete wallaby backline surrounding him was failing at creating anything.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
just read Haylett-Petty's post match comment in the Herald: "Plenty for us to work on and plenty of time left in the season so we'll go away and work hard" !! WTF - it begs the question as to WTF have they done all off season?
Apparently work on their defence

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Huh? He outplayed the John Eales medalist on the other side of the field. Some may whinge about the chip kick turnover, but at least he was trying something where the almost complete wallaby backline surrounding him was failing at creating anything.
Not been a past fan of kellaway and questioned him as starting winger but agree he was one of the few rebels who played ok

B

Bobby Sands

Kellaway has Roff qualities. He’s one of the only outside back playmakers I can remember in 10 or so years. In addition to this he’s a good finisher himself.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought most the backs were okay, most players would look ordinary with the platform supplied by the forwards. The forward pack has too many grafters and not enough players that can dent the line or provide something different. Uelese when he’s back will hopefully take some of the burden off Naisarani, Hardwicks speed across the park and link play could be useful, Jones also in would tighten up the line out.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Wessels isn't as good as many people believe. I hope this first round loss is a wake up call but with tall the talent last year and now this I think Wessels might need to be moved on

I tend to agree - rebels have for sometime despite all the talent lacked cohesion as a team and buck has to stop with the coaches on that front.

I would be happy to be proved wrong but I get the feeling this will be the last season for Wessels and more a case of whether he lasts the season. I doubt he will be sacked mid season though as just not how super rugby tends to work

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Wessels isn't as good as many people believe. I hope this first round loss is a wake up call but with tall the talent last year and now this I think Wessels might need to be moved on
The Rebels is a failed franchise - no sense blaming the individuals caught up in it.

Loads of talent coaching amd playing have come and gone and theyve never been better than lower mid-table.