• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Sunwolves v Rebels

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I dont think that was the reason JRFU pulled the funding, from all reports JFRU decided to pull funding because they realigned the Top League season and it now overlapped with Super Rugby, JFRUs preference going forward was to improve the Top League competition instead

The one billion yen per year "participation fee" required by SANZAAR was a pretty big factor in the decision. They were super pissed about that.

Almost complete lack of buy-in from the rugby companies certainly hasn't helped either.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
This 100% is a partial reason why it happened. There is massive bad blood between the two unions.

There is also a fair bit of bad blood between the JFRU and the Top League company teams.

It seems like everyone except for the knuckleheads running the JFRU think the new format is going to be worse than what they have.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
Tough assignment this week, Scooter.

Same old Rebels, eh?

I enjoy watching the Sunwolves and am disappointed this is their last season. Great time zone for matches too.

Very disappointing from Rebels. If you want to make finals you need to win that match. Plus it sets the tone for the season.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The one billion yen per year "participation fee" required by SANZAAR was a pretty big factor in the decision. They were super pissed about that.
Sheesh, was that really the number - every year?

I could see why the JFRU would be pissed at having to pay 13m AUD for the privilege of allowing Singapore to host Sunwolves home games every season.

Eye-watering.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Almost complete lack of buy-in from the rugby companies certainly hasn't helped either.

That was my understanding. SAANZAR required finances from the Sunwolves not required from any other franchise. JRU wanted to be treated fairly and were told no. The response was obvious.

If that is right, I can't blame JRU and do hold SAANZAR responsible.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
That was my understanding. SAANZAR required finances from the Sunwolves not required from any other franchise. JRU wanted to be treated fairly and were told no. The response was obvious.
I do recall something about that, but not that the money was so high as a billion yen?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I do recall something about that, but not that the money was so high as a billion yen?

I'm not sure either, note that that is approx $Aus14M. But also remember that crazy home game thing where only each second was in Japan - is that still happening? There is not a lot for Japan to like.

There has been a lot of noise regarding Super looking for new and better markets. Perhaps Japan decided they were better holding their market to themselves.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Yet they moved the Top League season dates to suit Super Rugby.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm not sure either, note that that is approx $Aus14M. But also remember that crazy home game thing where only each second was in Japan - is that still happening? There is not a lot for Japan to like.

There has been a lot of noise regarding Super looking for new and better markets. Perhaps Japan decided they were better holding their market to themselves.

This is the market many sports want to get in to. Super Rugby needed it. The Sunwolves already have it. I believe the stance by the JRU here was you need us more then we need you and I believe they were correct. We already know it will potentially impact on Aussie teams sponsor options.

Reactions: dru

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
On field performance is irrelevant when you could've just moved the whole team + staff.

I always thought the 'Southern Brumbies' that played home games in Melbourne and Canberra would have been the way to go. You could have tapped into the commercial potential of Melbourne and leveraged some of the rugby culture in ACT.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I always thought the 'Southern Brumbies' that played home games in Melbourne and Canberra would have been the way to go. You could have tapped into the commercial potential of Melbourne and leveraged some of the rugby culture in ACT.

Would have killed rugby in two cities. Nose and face come to mind.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Look, I know my first thought yesterday after the Rebels lost to the Sunwolves was.......... the Brumbies should've been relocated to Melbourne two years ago.

Trollololol.........