• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2 2020: NSFW Waratahs vs Auckland Blues

NSFW Waratahs vs Auckland Blues

• Go Blues

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Go Waratahs

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • either team would be lucky to finish 3rd in this one

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • do I HAVE to watch this rubbish?

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • prefer not to say

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • i love pole

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs are underdogs in this game which I think is a little surprising. Neither team were amazing last week but the Blues were at home and the Tahs away. You'd probably think the Tahs faced slightly better opponents in the Crusaders.

The Tahs have a bad record against the Blues though. We haven't beaten them since 2015.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The Tahs are underdogs in this game which I think is a little surprising. Neither team were amazing last week but the Blues were at home and the Tahs away. You'd probably think the Tahs faced slightly better opponents in the Crusaders.

The Tahs have a bad record against the Blues though. We haven't beaten them since 2015.

It's not surprising. The Tahs have a lot of kids and like you said the Tahs haven't beaten the Blues since 2015 even with a far more experienced side.

I am hoping the Tahs get up but they really need to improve their defence and go forward.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The really big one is broken play defence. Probably understandably for so many players tasting their first bit of rugby at this level, but last week by the time they'd adjusted to a dropped ball etc the Saders were away.
Between that, and bumbling the chances they created, we saw the difference between the two sides last week.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Keen to see how Harrison does in the wet. He has a nice boot on him. Would be a perfect game for Morea to debut too if ready. Blues scrum was good last week so concerning when Faulkner comes on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
From the tweeter

Waratahs team to play Blues in Newcastle: Will Harrison, thankfully, given another go at 10. Prop Harry Johnson-Holmes healthy and will start. So too Jack Dempsey at No.8.

Former NRL forward Tepai Moeroa selected on bench and in line to make #SuperRugby debut.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
WARATAHS V BLUES, NEWCASTLE, 7.15PM

1. Tom Robertson
2. Robbie Abel
3. Harry Johnson-Holmes
4. Tom Staniforth
5. Rob Simmons (c)
6. Lachie Swinton
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jack Dempsey
9. Jake Gordon
10. Will Harrison
11. Mark Nawaqanitawase
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Lalakai Foketi
14. Alex Newsome
15. Kurtley Beale

Reserves

16. Damien Fitzpatrick
17. Angus Bell
18. Tetera Faulkner
19. Ryan McCauley
20. Jed Holloway
21. Tepai Moeroa
22. Mitch Short
23. Jack Maddocks

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Blues team looks weak. Tahs are a real chance here

15. Duffie 14. Hyland 13. Marchant 12. Faiane 11. Telea 10. Perofeta 9. Ruru 8. Sotutu 7. Gibson 6. Papalii 5. Goodhue 4. Tuipulotu 3. Mafileo 2. Eklund 1. Tui'nukuafe

16. Parsons 17. Lindenmuth 18. Tu'ungafasi 19. Robinson 20. Ioane 21. Nock 22. Plummer 13. Narawa

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Blues team looks weak. Tahs are a real chance here

Yeah. Until At 55 minutes they bring on Ioane, who has been absolutely seething at his treatment by the coaches to date and completely determined to show up their stupidity by making about 30 bone-crushing tackles and about 200 run metres in 25 minutes. We better be up by about 40 by then I reckon or we're cooked.

And I will be pleasantly surprised if we can get somewhere close to scrum parity too, before Faulkner comes on and it all goes to custard.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah. Until At 55 minutes they bring on Ioane, who has been absolutely seething at his treatment by the coaches to date and completely determined to show up their stupidity by making about 30 bone-crushing tackles and about 200 run metres in 25 minutes. We better be up by about 40 by then I reckon or we're cooked.

And I will be pleasantly surprised if we can get somewhere close to scrum parity too, before Faulkner comes on and it all goes to custard.

Yep if he remembers to stop feeding his face , he maybe good to go for 20 minutes!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
It won't be hard for Akira to provide more impact than Gibson last week - Gibson was anonymous off the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We won 15 of 16 lineouts on our own throw and won a few from the Crusaders.

The issue was the 23 turnovers (9 more than the Crusaders) and missing 36 tackles for a 78% success rate.

I'm surprised Abel was picked as the starter ahead of Fitzpatrick but given that happened for round 1, he certainly wasn't going to lose the job for round 2 based on his performance.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We won 15 of 16 lineouts on our own throw and won a few from the Crusaders.

The issue was the 23 turnovers (9 more than the Crusaders) and missing 36 tackles for a 78% success rate.

I'm surprised Abel was picked as the starter ahead of Fitzpatrick but given that happened for round 1, he certainly wasn't going to lose the job for round 2 based on his performance.

There was a lot of crap very deep to the back that would have been deemed a "win" - but wasn't really

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There was a lot of crap very deep to the back that would have been deemed a "win" - but wasn't really

A couple of those that we won were from the Crusaders though (and obviously not intentional). A couple of times we did it intentionally.

I certainly don't think our lineout was a weak point or that Abel had a poor game.