• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2 2020 Lions v Reds @ Jo'burg - Sunday 12:05am AEDT

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The extra hooker joining the tour is Hugh Roach. Pretty disappointed they didn’t go with a local such as a Faessler to be honest. In saying that I like this week’s team better than the last one.

Although he never played for the Brumbies he has now been apart of all 5 Aus teams at some stage.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Don’t mind JOC (James O'Connor) @ 10, I was pretty disappointed in Lucas last week.

In a young side, James is a seasoned rugby pro. It makes sense for him to lead them around.

Interested in Hamish at 12, but part of me wants to see Paisami & Jordan together.

Do a job lads, eek a result.

I'm with you BS. Lucas struggles with confined time and space when compared to JOC (James O'Connor), Hegarty or Gordon; so I'm hopeful the 10 experiment at Super level is over. Happy with HS at 12 but like you also think Paisami and Petaia would be an interesting combination.

B

Bobby Sands

I'm with you BS. Lucas struggles with confined time and space when compared to JOC (James O'Connor), Hegarty or Gordon; so I'm hopeful the 10 experiment at Super level is over. Happy with HS at 12 but like you also think Paisami and Petaia would be an interesting combination.

I’m not writing Lucas @ 10 off by any means, just that I can see the logic of James pushing us around the ground and into the corners!

Glad we see it similarly.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Stewart at 12 offers a bit more starch in the defensive line, which may be the other factor

Stinger66

Frank Row (1)
Quade Cooper, Hamish Stewart, Bryce Hegarty, Jono Lance, Ben Lucas, I Lucas, JOC (James O'Connor) to name a few.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I dont think Quade every played 5/8 under Thorn.

People are forgetting Matt McGahan, think he played 2 games at 5/8 last year as well.

B

Bobby Sands

Quade Cooper, Hamish Stewart, Bryce Hegarty, Jono Lance, Ben Lucas, I Lucas, JOC (James O'Connor) to name a few.

Well QLD has practically produced every 10 around, so it’s only natural that as have a few in the system up here. Learning from JOC (James O'Connor) is not a bad thing.

** I may not to able to see the original post & this might be out of context.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

are you talking 10s under Thorn? It went like this:

2018:
Jono Lance 8 games
Hamish Stewart 1 game
Jono Lance 3 games
Hamish Stewart 4 games

Hamish Stewart 2 games
Bryce Hegarty 1 game
Isaac Lucas 1 game
Bryce Hegarty 9 games
Matt McGahan 3 games

Other than Stewart for Hegarty early in 2019, I think most the changes were through unavailability because of injury or U20s.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
When I first saw the team sheet I was frustrated by the change at 10 but since then I've come to realize it's more of a much up thing, changing the picture for a different style of side. I wouldn't be suprised if it also has something to do with not wanting to burn out Zaccy in the first couple of months if they struggle. He'll start heaps of games there this year I have no doubt.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
When I first saw the team sheet I was frustrated by the change at 10 but since then I've come to realize it's more of a much up thing, changing the picture for a different style of side. I wouldn't be suprised if it also has something to do with not wanting to burn out Zaccy in the first couple of months if they struggle. He'll start heaps of games there this year I have no doubt.

That's my take. I like it. Really like seeing Stewart back in the 15. Don't think it will be that way all the time, but I like it on paper in this game.

B

Bobby Sands

I think as well Hamish needs to be rewarded for such a solid off-season, otherwise he might drop his head. I think we can beat them & if we do I think it could be tipping point moment for this side.

Reactions: dru

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I agree, this is the game to make the change. Elton Jantjies has been known to be flustered and struggles against a physical defensive flyhalf, and while I don't question Lucas' heart, the extra size of Stewart monstered him last year, and he's not shown that he can overcome that, so O'Connor is a good option.

Plus I expect we will see Lucas come in to Flyhalf at some point in the game, I doubt they are abandoning Lucas just yet.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm excited to see Hamish @ 12. He won't let us down, his hard running should suit the highveld.

He looked good at 12 in the NRC. I think it's his position. He runs some nice lines, is pretty solid in defence and is a ball player. I hope he goes well.

Lucas is still a 15 for me at this stage. He reminds me of Damian McKenzie a bit. Could play 10 but probably better with a little more freedom. Then again maybe it's just the size comparison :)

Not sure JOC (James O'Connor) is a 10 for me either though, so it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He looked good at 12 in the NRC. I think it's his position. He runs some nice lines, is pretty solid in defence and is a ball player. I hope he goes well.

Lucas is still a 15 for me at this stage. He reminds me of Damian McKenzie a bit. Could play 10 but probably better with a little more freedom. Then again maybe it's just the size comparison :)

Not sure JOC (James O'Connor) is a 10 for me either though, so it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Absolutely, there were a few of us who Stewart as the starting 12 this year, he tackles strong and runs hard, he is the Anthony Fainga'a type of 12 every team needs IMO. Just hope it doesn’t mean Lucas has been thrown on the scrap heap for the season

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Just hope it doesn’t mean Lucas has been thrown on the scrap heap for the season

I doubt that is the case. Everyone can see Lucas' potential. He'll get his opportunities I'm sure. It's not like he's not in the 23.