• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2 2020 Lions v Reds @ Jo'burg - Sunday 12:05am AEDT

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hmm unless I missed one, Zander only had 4 scrums, one of those his elbow went down, one of them he earned a penalty, one he should have earned a penalty and one where they stayed up and got the ball out but wasn’t a strong scrum.

I thought that Zander dropped an elbow because the opposite prop bound to it. Didn't think that was legal, though at this level a prop needs to get beyond the gamesmanship. I'm fine with Zander, it's a massive step up and suddenly he is fronting a Saffer pack at altitude in Africa. Well done that bloke and definitely we stick with him.

We have invested here and pretty happy with the return. That said, it would definietly be nice to see our full prop squad return.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
What exactly are Hegarty's strengths? If you're looking at a limited player with a strong kicking game- you're definitely not getting that.
Watching the Hurricanes now, and it’s fair to say he’s no Jordie Barrett. If Lucas’s kicking game improves the decision is easy but we need to ease Lucas into the harder games. Hegarty is the safe option after looking at the dynamics in the backs in Round 1. What’s the other options at fullback with the full package. None.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
2014 law clarification
IRB clarification for teams choosing not to engage at the lineout
• if the defenders in the line out choose to not engage the line out drive by leaving the line out as a group, PK to attacking team;
• if the defenders in the line out choose to not engage the line out drive by simply opening up a gap and creating space and not leaving the line out, the following process would be followed:
- attackers would need to keep the ball with the front player, if they were to drive down-field (therefore play on, general play - defenders could either engage to form a maul, or tackle the ball carrier only);
- if they had immediately passed it back to the player at the rear of the group, the referee would tell them to use it which they must do immediately...
- if they drove forward with the ball at the back (did not release the ball), the referee would award a scrum for accidental offside rather than PK for obstruction.
The lineout catcher still had his hands on the ball when the try was scored so for me it's a legitimate try.

It looks like the Reds were trying something way too clever with their hooker coming through but stuffed it up completely

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So. It is disappointing to take an other close loss, we sort of need to change BPs into 4 points. Well done Lions.

This said that was at height, wet, and down to 13. Got to kill the legs at some point.

Our kicking to get into the right end of the field could have been better, though I'm hopeful that this will work better back at sea level. I am starting to see more of what everyone raves about with both Tate and Wilson. Wilson is gaining yards after contact which I had not really seen so much but did this round. On off beat thought, but could Tate play 10?

I had absolutely no problem with 10: JOC (James O'Connor); 12: Stewart; 13: Petaia. In my mind completely suited this game at this location and against this opposition. I also won't mind so much if this is a poicy often on away games, though the justification would not always be so strong. And I don't have too much grief that that back line make up mean s that Petaia ends up a little quiet. There are pros and cons, I don't mind the balance in this situation.

BUT I'd be continuing to feed Lucas into 10 and look to build a 10-12 combination. I'm no longer perturbed if that is Lucas - Stewart, but I don't mind JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 either. Pick one and build it.

What is it with Jock Campbell and the tongue, lol!. I'm going to call him the blue tongue. Thought he played very well.

One final query, I think it was the first Lions try Jantjies grubber with no sweeper D. What is the story with where our sweeper should have been and how that works? Not complaining, just wondering.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
One final query, I think it was the first Lions try Jantjies grubber with no sweeper D. What is the story with where our sweeper should have been and how that works? Not complaining, just wondering.
Hegarty knew they were in big trouble there. It was nicely done by the Lions, Speight and Hegarty had to cover the opposite numbers up in the line and Tate or Jock couldn't or didn't get over from the initial lineout to cover (we never got to see what happened with them on TV as far as I could tell)

Screenshot_20200209-113629.png

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Let’s be honest .....the overall standard of play was deplorable .

Nice “effort” defensively and something here and there that resembles desire but in terms of basic skill - catch / pass / kick and basic structures .....they looked like a bunch of half cut bums down the park. And it’s not just this game , nor this team. The overall quality of ability / skill , the quality of the operational element that sits in behind , and is responsible for that - within all Australian Teams not named the Brumbies is flat out shit . Crowd numbers and anaemic TV ratings tell the story.

The “product” isn’t working

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hegarty knew they were in big trouble there. It was nicely done by the Lions, Speight and Hegarty had to cover the opposite numbers up in the line and Tate or Jock couldn't or didn't get over from the initial lineout to cover (we never got to see what happened with them on TV as far as I could tell)

Is it Heggarty who sweeps there or Tate? Agree that it was nicely done by the Lions.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Let’s be honest ...the overall standard of play was deplorable . They looked like a bunch of half cut bums down the park. And it’s not just this game , nor this team. The overall quality of ability / skill , the quality of the operational element that sits in behind , and is responsible for that - within all Australian Teams not named the Brumbies is flat out shit . Crowd numbers and anaemic TV ratings tell the story.

The “product” isn’t working

Nope, that's not honest.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is it Heggarty who sweeps there or Tate? Agree that it was nicely done by the Lions.
It's probably Hegarty who was out of position. He was desperately trying to get someone else to get around and fill that space. Lions look like they designed the play to set that up

Reactions: dru

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Nah when you're that close to the line and hegarty has seen the mismatch, it's up to far side winger/halfback (obviously halfback in this case) to sweep as the fullback is filling the broken line.

I didn't see where Tate was - did he get caught up in the ruck?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Nah when you're that close to the line and hegarty has seen the mismatch, it's up to far side winger/halfback (obviously halfback in this case) to sweep as the fullback is filling the broken line.

I didn't see where Tate was - did he get caught up in the ruck?

The problem is the Reds actually had 4 on 3 on the blindside there. They outnumbered the Lions in the front line. Hegarty was needed for the initial move from the lineout but stayed there (or at least couldn't get back) for two more phases.

Tate and Jock came up on the blindside at the initial lineout and then probably stayed there for the duration (we never actually got to see in the coverage). Certainly didn't get over midfield.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He's not to blame for either loss but Sorovi's two blunders from the bench this last two games are significant. He's supposed to be a finisher and he's failing at that. Maloula is injured which is probably saving Sorovi for the time being but he needs to up his game.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
He's not to blame for either loss but Sorovi's two blunders from the bench this last two games are significant. He's supposed to be a finisher and he's failing at that. Maloula is injured which is probably saving Sorovi for the time being but he needs to up his game.

Maloula is out for a while isn't he? Is there a 3rd halfback in the meantime? Tate is very busy and trying hard but if he was injured then it is scary.

Apart from scrummaging and tackling the Reds didn't seem to have too much of a game plan in this one - maybe the conditions? Speight's catching skills let them down but he did save a Lions try making the player step on the line in the tackle. Jock Campbell is continuing his good form but some of the kicking by the backs was not great - several out on the fulls. JOC (James O'Connor) didn't seem to realise that the ball had been passed back from outside the 22 when he put it out which is surprising - surely when they are set for a clearing kick, and I think he was expecting Hegarty to kick it rather than pass to him, they must be aware of whether it needs to stay in or not. Why anyone would give it to Speight to do the clearing kick I can't imagine.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Frustrating game to lose. I find it strange that Tupou continues to be a penalty magnet under Thorn, I would have thought Thorn was one of those old school coaches with no time for silly stuff. Hopefully Petaia kicks on in the next few matches, quiet start to the season.

Yes notice Petaia been quiet but I suppose quiet as opposed to bad game and I guess he is coming off been off injured for quiet some time so reasonable to take some time to get back to where he was

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Maloula is out for a while isn't he? Is there a 3rd halfback in the meantime? Tate is very busy and trying hard but if he was injured then it is scary.

I would have said Nucifora but heard he is down in Sydney. Would Reuben Wall be a chance? It is a pity Fowler left looking for greener pastures.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
I would have said Nucifora but heard he is down in Sydney. Would Reuben Wall be a chance? It is a pity Fowler left looking for greener pastures.

I would have thought Nick Chapman would be in the queue ahead of Reuben Wall. He started ahead of Sorovi in a number of Brisbane City games late last year and acquitted himself well. Not sure what to make of Sorovi however he seems well down on confidence and he did not have a good NRC. Tate is the No 1 halfback by a country mile in Qld and would only be just behind Joe Powell as the No 1 in Australia. Agree with @neilc it would be scary if Tate was injured.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I would have thought Nick Chapman would be in the queue ahead of Reuben Wall. He started ahead of Sorovi in a number of Brisbane City games late last year and acquitted himself well. .

Chapman was impressive in the NRC, I hadn't really seen him before that but he looked really good. I checked the Reds team page and they only seem to have the 3 HBs listed (Tate, Moses, Scott M) with no details of WTS players so not sure who is in the fold.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jaco Peyper doesn't fuck around when it comes to home teams. As obvious as it gets.

The Lions try just before HT made no sense - Peyper admits they formed a maul and had the ball at the back but says the Reds didn't make contact so no obstruction? Pretty sure I saw Rodda run into them.

this.

clear obstruction.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Thought the same when it happened, was screaming at the tv for an obstruction. No maul was formed and the ball carrier had two blockers bound to him and slightly in front of him . The “flying wedge” then bumped into ASY (Angus Scott-Young) on the way to the try line . The confusing issue was that the catcher in the lineout never completely let go of the ball , he and the #6 from the Lions both had hold of it when the ball was placed.

My first thoughts were obstruction and think a lot a refs would have ruled it that way, but the ball was never transferred to a player behind him.

Overall though a pretty high risk way to defend an attacking lineout .