• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Stewart hasn't been near the flyhalf spot in over a year. pretty tough to expect him to wander in and take charge.

And he has shown no aptitude to do it. He could be a Hooper style 7, which wont work under Thorn. That leaves him in utility back looking for a home. But he is not likely to take 12 from JOC (James O'Connor), 13 from Petaia. This said he is an incredible utility AND showing the ability to step in on team selections with different game plans in mind.

I expect the choice 10 remains Lucas, and the choice 12 JOC (James O'Connor). It is of course fabulous that Stewart is throwing his name into the ring with venom. Go Stewart.

This team wont be truly settled in 2020 and I thought we would loose Stewart. That was wrong, not the settle, but definitely about Stewart.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
"I agree that Hegarty isn't in a starting XV on a Championship Super Rugby side, but he's been one of our best players -- at least very close with O'Connor for our best back. He's not fantastic but he also doesn't do much wrong, he's like the anti-Quade, low risk - low reward."
Zero C, how do you determine Hegs as 'one of our best players' ? I 100% disagree. If you compare the Super Rugby stats of our #15,#11 & #14 (back 3) he is not better than Campbell. In doing his job well, he was below par. His kicks for touch to setup attack did not reach the preferred zone to launch attack options(within the 10meter mark. Defense: Hegs is the elder statesman who should have stayed out on the winger as Rodz had the ball carrier and Wilson had the inside guy(watch the video replay). key kickoff out on the full. Those are not mistakes you make at super level imo. Interesting stat on J Petaia showing more run meters and making most tackles(@80% 8/10) so not sure I agree with your assessment of the 20yr old as 'disengaged and anonymous for 2 games' ??

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the Petaia critics are valid in their assessment based on what is expected of him, whether or not the expectations are fair is a different discussion. He’s a young player still but clearly valued and had some good moments at the RWC after playing virtually no rugby in the lead up. I think the expectation has been that he would continue to improve from there.

He’s got big boots to fill as the new attacking weapon with Kerevi gone. He plays a different style though and is better at positioning himself to assist in defence and as a link man in attack. Once the backline starts to gel better, his value will be seen more.

B

Bobby Sands

To be fair , Rodda played juniors in Yamba - May have been identified in the Tahs system before IGS offered him a spot (not sure)

There are a reasonable number of young blokes in QLD GPS Schools , more and more over the last 3-5 years that are coming through the pathways that could be more reasonably “tagged” as pinched from the NSW Junior Rugby , and in increasing numbers , from the Tahs identification program .

The issue is economic and opportunity driven given Sydney School Associations don’t throw the discounts / scholarships around as much as some of the QLD Schools - who already are cheaper then their southern counterparts before the discount bucks kick in - and then arguably , you are offering a better schoolboy competition anyway ( maybe )

There will be increasing numbers of these types of players who were here for 2 years before they might find themselves on the Reds 20’s / Aus 20’s give that boy a Super Rugby contract merry go round

I agree with most of this, but when you say NSW, I think you more mean the Northern Rivers. Other than Rodda, I can think of Jake McIntyre who came from Alstonville. Joey Fittock another.

Can’t think of any others that are pros?

One obvious factor you might have overlooked in distance. It’s much close to go to school in Brisbane than Sydney unless of course you go to TAS.

B

Bobby Sands

If Isaac had a Super Rugby kicking game I would agree. On the most part, we lost against the Lions because of defensive kicking. Hegarty better than Isaac right now.

Absolutely. I rate Isaac highly, but can't understand why people are anti-Hegarty. His kick to Speight was beautiful, and if they got the right bounce he would have had an excellent game. It doesn't and he we are.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
It took a while for me in 2019 to warm to Hegarty because he is not showy and didn’t seem to offer much in attacking play. But it become apparent that his safe play and kicking game become valuable in a team that was inconsistent and panicked. Defensively he manages a game well and controls the tempo. We need that right now, particularly when we have young players under pressure in the speed of professional rugby and are still learning their trade.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Gordon probably has the best kicking game (in general play) but the imbalance of the youth movement is part of the problem

If / when Gordon Is ready I could see Lucas as more a bench spark to try and light up fatiguing teams down the stretch . Until the if or when Gordon is ready I’d plug the hole temporarily with one of Hegarty or Stewart ( and I’d lean toward Stewart )

Re : Stewart , long term , a versatile bench player to add defensive starch down the stretch . JOC (James O'Connor) is the logical 12 , now , and moving forward and into the foreseeable future.

I would like to see Paisami given a go at 13 with Petaia going to wing with Speight and Campbell to 15.

Sorovi/Hegarty /Dags from the bench with Dags to be next man up for Petaia if he doesn’t start producing in the next couple of games

Would like to see Salakai Loto at lock with Rodda and a back row of Wright / McReight / Wilson - with more minutes for Uru in the back row mix. I’d keep a pretty short leash on Wilson too. Too hyped at the moment and not enough discipline / focus ( a big part of what was handed to the Brumbies on a platter in the 2nd half )
Gordon is our long term solution but at 18 yo it’s too early to start him at flyhalf. Ease him into a couple of games at the back end of the season from the bench at flyhalf or fullback against the likes of Tahs and Rebels. In the meantime let’s get Stewart or JOC (James O'Connor) working with our backline to create some consistency. God Tate must be frustrated.
Speight is a blessing. If we can put the ball on his chest we will be over the line winning games.
Paisami will be a world better when he sorts out his passing. In Prems last year the combination between Gordon, Paisami and Filipo was impressive. Petaia is just warming up and is undoubtable a classy player when he gets good ball. He’s not getting good ball and is searching for it.
IMO the starting forwards are sorted with the exception of Prop depth. Nothing on the QLD horizon so let’s look elsewhere. Agree that Wilson is playing with more adrenaline than brains.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I agree with most of this, but when you say NSW, I think you more mean the Northern Rivers. Other than Rodda, I can think of Jake McIntyre who came from Alstonville. Joey Fittock another.

One obvious factor you might have overlooked in distance. It’s much close to go to school in Brisbane than Sydney unless of course you go to TAS.

A bunch of lads from Moree / Inverell to Orange and all the way back to the Central Coast and upwards to Northern Rivers over the last few years that have either just left or are just finishing up - some of which are now in the QLD pathway after having initially been identified and participating in the Tahs junior pathway system - a couple of which I believe will likely be Red 20’s / Aus 20’s in 2 years time - assuming they continue on their current trajectory

It’s the opening up or increase in greater creation of choice from these these markets - Central West to Central Coast especially which is on the uptick

I also note Matt Minogue (A NSW Schools 10 the year before last) now playing his Rugby at Bond

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There have been some very good assessments on here about Hergarty, both pros and cons. People do forget he's only 27 but plays with the poise of a much more senior player. He's been around a lot of rugby setups including the Brisbane Bronco's program which is (was when he was there) one of the best in the Australia imho and learnt a lot of things. His style of play actually reminds me of Stephen Donald in his later years at the Chiefs, similar game control and calmness, but not going to break a game open on his own.

I honestly think if Petaia starts firing up in attack, Dauguno comes back with some flair, then Hergarty's role of steadying the ship becomes vital to the Reds doing well. You can't have every player on the field wanting the ball in his hands to score. He also obviously needs to do the things he does well, better, can't have another kicking game like that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There have been some very good assessments on here about Hergarty, both pros and cons. People do forget he's only 27 but plays with the poise of a much more senior player.

As a back, being 27 years old makes you a senior player in Super Rugby.

I think most sides would only have 2 or 3 guys in their matchday 23 over the age of 30.

B

Bobby Sands

A bunch of lads from Moree / Inverell to Orange and all the way back to the Central Coast and upwards to Northern Rivers over the last few years that have either just left or are just finishing up - some of which are now in the QLD pathway after having initially been identified and participating in the Tahs junior pathway system.

It’s the opening up or increase in greater creation of choice from these these markets - Central West to Central Coast especially which is on the uptick

I also note Matt Minogue (A NSW Schools 10 the year before last) now playing his Rugby at Bond

Ok well let’s see then?

Maybe the Reds will be full of NSW bushies soon - but I doubt it.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^ I wouldn’t say that but it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume 2 or 3 guys in the mix - ongoing , and off the back of, an increase in Rugby specific recruitment (by some QLD Schools) from a wider base beyond Northern Rivers

Will be more guys like Thor with his origins over time too.

And there is nothing wrong with that

More of it I say . All franchises have to look harder, and more critically, beyond their own back yard

B

Bobby Sands

^ I wouldn’t say that but it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume 2 or 3 guys in the mix - ongoing , and off the back of, an increase in Rugby specific recruitment (by some QLD Schools) from a wider base beyond Northern Rivers

Will be more guys like Thor with his origins over time too.

And there is nothing wrong with that

More of it I say . All franchises have to look harder, and more critically, beyond their own back yard

Absolutely but not at the expense of local talent - otherwise the franchise loses meaning and becomes the Waratahs.

B

Bobby Sands

Three of the coaches I had at school were Jason Gilmore (in year 8), Tony McGahan and ex Wallaby Tom Barker. Enormous resources are placed into those programs.

I forgot that Tim Walsh and Alec Evans took a few sessions as well.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I don’t think that the Reds have played badly in the first two it’s just the limited time together of a few combinations I reckon. Unfortunately O’Connor would be totally new to Lucas, Stewart, Paisami, McDermott etc. so the combinations aren’t as good as the Brumbies. Would be interesting to see how the Reds would’ve gone if it was Kerevi playing in O’Connor’s 12 spot.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Absolutely but not at the expense of local talent - otherwise the franchise loses meaning and becomes the Waratahs.

Nothing wrong with what Qld are doing. In fact applaud them giving more Kids from northern nsw / wa etc the opportunity. However just like any other side in super rugby saying all are homegrown is just rubbish. Nor should it be in this day and age. If your the 6 th best lock in Australia you should be playing super rugby. Not thrown away if the first 5 locks are Queenslanders as well.

B

Bobby Sands

Nothing wrong with what Qld are doing. In fact applaud them giving more Kids from northern nsw / wa etc the opportunity. However just like any other side in super rugby saying all are homegrown is just rubbish. Nor should it be in this day and age. If your the 6 th best lock in Australia you should be playing super rugby. Not thrown away if the first 5 locks are Queenslanders as well.

I can’t work out if you’re a real account or not.

You keep talking about who knows what, but you are not offering any names or examples.

Are you talking about young kids in the development pathway now? Ie not professionals?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Harry Wilson?

B

Bobby Sands

Harry played juniors at Brothers and went to school at Terrace , you could almost piss down wind to the Brisbane CBD from both places.

The Gunnedah yarn has really got people thinking Harry was a cocky until he was 18, then just started playing rugby in his spare time.

He’s been in Brisbane since he was a kid.