• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
BPA is a great talent.

However. I’d rather keep talent developed in Queensland in Queensland.

Why did the Tahs not sign Ed Craig when they stole Joe Cotton from Queensland?
No idea. They also signed JP Sani over him before that. Poor recruitment/retention?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
We have a fairly green front row contingent outside of JP and TT at the moment.

We have of the top of my head three 'experienced' Queensland based hookers playing for other teams right now as well; Hanson, Ready and Tessmen (I acknowledge that Ready was cut from the Reds for issues).

Would be great to have pinched Heath back from WA, unless he's getting quality time over there?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We have of the top of my head three 'experienced' Queensland based hookers playing for other teams right now as well; Hanson, Ready and Tessmen (I acknowledge that Ready was cut from the Reds for issues).

Would be great to have pinched Heath back from WA, unless he's getting quality time over there?

Tessmann is 35. Unless you're wanting to sign him as your first or second choice then it's hard to see how it would make sense.

He's not going to leave the Force for a short term contract or the type of money that would be associated with being the third choice option.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Our front row depth is badly exposed at the moment. I don’t care where he is from - we need the best available option. If that is Craig, so be it.

The Reds/QRU have been clearly giving players and opportunity out of QPR when they are up to it, and I am happy to see them include more local players in broader squads and get out to the clubs to try and bring through talent. But there is a realistic possibility that this selection will take the field in a competition game so I want the best player they can get.

B

Bobby Sands

BPA is a great talent.

Exactly, we produce more than enough for everyone, let’s just keep the ones we identify and maintain the fabric of a jersey that kids from QLD grow up wanting to have the honour of wearing.

B

Bobby Sands

Our front row depth is badly exposed at the moment. I don’t care where he is from - we need the best available option. If that is Craig, so be it.

The Reds/QRU have been clearly giving players and opportunity out of QPR when they are up to it, and I am happy to see them include more local players in broader squads and get out to the clubs to try and bring through talent. But there is a realistic possibility that this selection will take the field in a competition game so I want the best player they can get.

Agree, I think Craig looks a good third rake. He’s a big, hardened body too.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Tessmann is 35. Unless you're wanting to sign him as your first or second choice then it's hard to see how it would make sense.

I would have thought given his age, he's probably not going to be able to back up week in week out. BUT, his experience would be invaluable for the young back up props we have. Merely a thought.

B

Bobby Sands

None of those blokes is the answer, other than Hanson, buts he's OS.

It was a shame to lose Efi, but Craig looks like a decent prospect to my eye without seeing him actually play.

Faessler is a Super Rugby player though in my opinion, I am just not sure when.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Craig looks bloody good on paper, and I’ve spoke about the annoyance of losing Efi, but I assume they must think Faessler is too green.

If they are investing in Zander and he is getting a spot then Faessler can’t be too green. Has to be more to it. I would have backed Faessler.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If they are investing in Zander and he is getting a spot then Faessler can’t be too green. Has to be more to it. I would have backed Faessler.

It's about balance in the squad, can't have too many freshies. Sounds like Craig has a few good years of top grade club footy, NRC etc. They are obviously valuing that experience over Faessler in this case.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
It's about balance in the squad, can't have too many freshies. Sounds like Craig has a few good years of top grade club footy, NRC etc. They are obviously valuing that experience over Faessler in this case.

Have you seen the squad? It’s filled with nothing but freshies excluding the winger with the Afro.

Great position for Speight (11 & 14) to provide leadership.

S

Show-n-go

BPA is a great talent.

I’m sure the tahs would take BPA back seeing he is from NSW

B

Bobby Sands

Have you seen the squad? It’s filled with nothing but freshies excluding the winger with the Afro.

Hegarty & JOC (James O'Connor) too, despite the fact that many on here don't rate the former. I am not one of them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

That’s my point mate. It’s already chockers with greenhorns. I’ve got confidence in Thorns and co’s recruitment this season and they obviously think Craig is the better option, the clear advantage I see is that he’s been around the traps longer. There will be plenty of QPR guys banging on the door in the next few years but Craig fits best atm.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Zander has clearly responded well to the training. Based on some of the comments on here it has obviously surprised a lot of people so I would assume, having never seen him play before, Zander has come a long way in a short time.

Maybe Faessler just hasn’t progressed as far/fast. I assume they were hopeful that, if injury came, he would be ready but I assume they just don’t see that yet.

Bear in mind they have known for some time that they would need someone like Zander to step up. There was a clear opening there and he has been good enough to grab it. Maybe if was in the hooking role that they were originally short, then maybe they would have been prepared to give Faessler a shot.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Craig is in a difficult niche - not as experienced or as well able to compete with the likes of Robbie Able, Damien Fitzpatrick, and Andrew Tuala. These are the ones he’s competing against at the Tahs. (Even Hugh Roach couldn’t snag a contract, and he’s very experienced at the higher levels).

Craig is also not quite young enough - and bit too experienced - to get a development contract designed for youngsters who are future playing prospects, like Joe Cotton and Tom Horton. That’s five hookers in the squad already - and there are probably others like Craig who are on the cusp and just not quite making the cut for whatever reason.

Remember - selection isn’t based on skill or ability, but on the perception of skill and ability. Maybe he needs a manager to promote him better. A great selection for the Reds I reckon - let’s see how he goes off the bench on Sunday morning v the Jaguares, if selected, as the media seems to be inferring. https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/02/12/super-rugby-reds-hockings
I can see what you mean, but he's better than Tuala, Horton or Cotton at this point imho. Roach was just too small at Super Rugby level as i suspect Horton will be.I hope he does well at another franchise and finally has a chance to get Super Rugby experience. Well done Reds

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can we come back to the $900k operating profit the QRU posted, that’s pretty impressive. Probably the largest of any OZ super rugby team in a number of years. Sounds like the new SANTOS sponsorship is pretty lucrative.

As far as the Ballymore $850k depreciation goes, not really a concern if the new development gets up and running, still waiting on the QLD Govt to come to the party on that one.

Also on Ballymore, earlier this week the previously approved DA was extended until Aug 2022, whilst still 2 years less then what they sought it’s still a big win, essentially that’s now the window for construction. It’s far easier to amend a DA of that scale then to start from scratch. Especially since the original DA was quite large and extensive.

Next step we will either see QLD Govt funding or DA amendments with what the new plans look like..