• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 3: Rebels vs Waratahs

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Team's out. Obviously Wessels read my comment on Facebook for thaty backrow!

View attachment 11292

You know his reading GAGR not facebook, my post in Rebels 2020

Back row for this week HAS TO BE:

6: Wells
7: Hardwick
8: Naisarani

Anything else and we are not rewarding good performance. Cottrell scored a couple of trys but the back row had a lot of impact with this combo at the end. Plus need Hardwick to match Hooper for speed and disrupt his game as much as possible.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
If you ever wondered about the perverse reward-messaging system that is NSW Rugby, just ponder on a player who has proved himself wholly unreliable as a defender, gets moved to the most complicated defensive position in rugby - and the player(s) who have proved themselves at the very least 'competent' in that position, get dropped.

LOL. Clown show.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Still not a big fan of the 6-2 split. Is that 7 props used in the first 3 weeks without injury or just 6?

Would it kill them to release a list of unavailables and why? Would end a lot frustration on a personal level.

Otherwise, I'm reasonably happy with the changes made to the starting side, barring the lack of Deegan, to which I will give the benefit of the doubt to the idea he is injured, given the late withdrawal from the 2nds game last week.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
A 6-2 split is probably the right thing to do against the Waratahs. Both sets of forwards have been less than good enough so far so if they can get even a smidge of ascendancy there and bring fresh legs to ram that home it may pay off.

The other positive is building depth in that area which may bear fruit in later years as the Waratahs and Rebels tight 5s need some work. No use getting one set of players to compete only for 2-3 of them to get injured then you are back to square one again.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Some huge calls from the Tahs in this. Obviously Robertson, Swinton and Folketi on notice. Glad to see Clark and Maddocks start but Newsome at 13 is bewildering. Assume Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is being partially rested. Big assignment for Bell to start a t 9 yo. Fingers crossed, but not confident

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Some huge calls from the Tahs in this. Obviously Robertson, Swinton and Folketi on notice. Glad to see Clark and Maddocks start but Newsome at 13 is bewildering. Assume Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is being partially rested. Big assignment for Bell to start a t 9 yo. Fingers crossed, but not confident

If there is a front row to blood a young prop, it is the Rebels

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Still not a big fan of the 6-2 split. Is that 7 props used in the first 3 weeks without injury or just 6?

Would it kill them to release a list of unavailables and why? Would end a lot frustration on a personal level.

Otherwise, I'm reasonably happy with the changes made to the starting side, barring the lack of Deegan, to which I will give the benefit of the doubt to the idea he is injured, given the late withdrawal from the 2nds game last week.

Don't think he was withdrawn from the game - definitely saw him playing for most of, or all of, the first half.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you ever wondered about the perverse reward-messaging system that is NSW Rugby, just ponder on a player who has proved himself wholly unreliable as a defender, gets moved to the most complicated defensive position in rugby - and the player(s) who have proved themselves at the very least 'competent' in that position, get dropped.

I think Nawaqanitawase being on the bench is due to not being able to train early in the week and still being pretty sore (albeit fit to play). Doesn't seem like a bad decision given its his first year of pro football and there's a lot of games to go.

I also wouldn't have picked Newsome at 13. I find that selection pretty bizarre.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Nawaqanitawase being on the bench is due to not being able to train early in the week and still being pretty sore (albeit fit to play). Doesn't seem like a bad decision given its his first year of pro football and there's a lot of games to go.

I also wouldn't have picked Newsome at 13. I find that selection pretty bizarre.

If he does not participate in all training sessions in the week he will not play - Rassie.

Alex Ross (28)
Penny basically said Foketi is not providing the communication needed at 13 and they are falling apart in the connection from inside to outside backs. Newsome is apparently a good communicator and as such has been put there to fix it. I hope it results in big structural gains because something needs to change.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If he does not participate in all training sessions in the week he will not play - Rassie.

Does he actually do this in practice? Seems pretty unlikely.

Penny basically said Foketi is not providing the communication needed at 13 and they are falling apart in the connection from inside to outside backs. Newsome is apparently a good communicator and as such has been put there to fix it. I hope it results in big structural gains because something needs to change.

Let's hope so!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Listen onward from 13 min and 30 seconds - https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/podcast-rassie-had-an-aura-about-him/

Not my words, these are Irish rugby players that played under him for Munster.

It was also his mantra during RWC 2019 and is the reason he did not rely on Morne Steyn and that ilk because they mostly sit on the sidelines.

I guess I was more questioning whether this is a hard and fast rule he applied or whether it was what he tried to do generally but made some exceptions (much more likely in my view).

Sticking with this policy means that anyone under the concussion protocol were never selected for the following week because they are not allowed to train fully through the week.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I guess I was more questioning whether this is a hard and fast rule he applied or whether it was what he tried to do generally but made some exceptions (much more likely in my view).

Sticking with this policy means that anyone under the concussion protocol were never selected for the following week because they are not allowed to train fully through the week.

Nope. They never played.

Give it a listen, you will be surprised.