• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What’s the time frame on shoulder surgery?

I know ACL and Achilles are top of the injury food chain in terms of heeling.
Lisfranc (which jordy had last year) also right up there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wonder if he wasn't pushed forward too quickly. Two season ending injuries in a row at 18 and 19 is not ideal.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What’s the time frame on shoulder surgery?

I know ACL and Achilles are top of the injury food chain in terms of heeling.
Lisfranc (which jordy had last year) also right up there.
Depends what he's done obviously, but eg Quade had a 16 week recover for his AC joint surgery, and then never really recovered full confidence in his shoulder ever :-(

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Would be fairly typical of the way things seem to be heading. Best talent we've seen in quite a while ruined before he hits 20.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Story just gone up in the Courier Mail suggesting the injury could be season-ending. This would be such a shame for such a promising player:

"A graver scenario may yet be to come with the full extent of the injury to be assessed in Brisbane when he flies home with the team. A measure of the concern was Reds coach Brad Thorn saying: “We’re gutted for Jordan."

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rugby/queensland-reds/super-rugby-2020-reds-young-gun-jordan-petaia-injured-at-training/news-story/8eed1d049711b25b129902b0ced05864

Gutted for him if it is season ending.

I wonder if he wasn't pushed forward too quickly. Two season ending injuries in a row at 18 and 19 is not ideal.

He wouldn't be to first young lad to rise quickly. Hope its nothing more than rotten luck.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Isn't this the 3rd ?
Only second in terms of ‘season ending’ however he did miss his initial test debut due to a hamstring issue (?? I think) and was hampered this pre-season.

Having said that - and this is not directed at you as such - but maybe we need to wait for details for we write him off. If I was Thorn I’d be gutted for him even if he was only missing 2-3 weeks given the rotten luck he has had.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Dunno - I get what you mean, but if I was Daugunu, or any other winger in Australia, I’d want to be playing outside Petaia.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
96C3085E-2A49-42F7-BD0C-240C258FFF1B.jpeg

Interesting.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Well, the ratio of average age to experience has the Crusaders, Chiefs and Brumbies close to identical. That is of some interest to me.

I'm not sure these aggreagate numbers tells us much. I don't even know if this is for the entire extended squad? Might barely reflect whats on the field if so in which case it's about as meaningful as some of the stats the cricket boys love to roll out.

I think what would be interesting is to see the spread of age and experience within a squad. To see how consistently winning teams like the Crusaders construct their squads over a number of years and their process for bringing the talent through their system. Squad management is definetly an area some teams have been much better at. Been very impressed with the work people like Chris Tindall did at the Brumbies.