• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 3: Rebels vs Waratahs

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rebels deserved the win - Waratah forwards scrappy as were the backs.

I thought To'omua should be dropped for this game but he proved me wrong as good combo with lowrens and latter offered point of difference.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The Tah's were improved over last week but it was still hard to see them let that game slip away.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well 2020 was never going to be the year of the Tah but that was pretty average. Less than even. At least my fantasy team is kicking butt. Night.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hmm,

It is not looking good for the Waratahs.

Wet weather or not, it just looked like there was no intensity. Make nice breaks, set up camp in opposition 22 then pick and drive all night and they looked lethargic doing so.

I had the Tahs to win by 7 on superbru but I'll have to think more than twice before I back them again.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Tah's were improved over last week but it was still hard to see them let that game slip away.
Yeh they were improved but yes not great - credit to Angus bell as 19 year old making first start in super rugby - I though was ok but in perspective of being 19 year old prop clearly has a big future

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Rob Penney sitting by himself somewhere in the depths of AAMI stadium, thinking about his career, with a very tight feeling in the pit of his stomach

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well if nothing else MT is showing why he hasn’t been and won’t be the Wallabies 10.

KOB, MT kicked the ball away far to much in the first 60 minutes for my liking, but was probably the right tactic in the conditions. In the final 20 minutes he took control of the game and led the Rebels to a bonus point win. He will be in the running for the Wallabies No 10 spot.

I thought Will Harrison was especially disappointing tonight. He has one bow to his apron, being not a bad kicker in general play, but was well and truly bested by MT tonight. Will doesn't seem to have much else to offer the Tahs' attack.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought Beale was terrible - Newsome at 13 did not really sight but either did with foketi when came on - Fowards outside of the props, Abel, hooper I thought were ordinary. Clark not convinced about as great super rugby player...

Harrison - like to see mason please as still to be convinced worth any continued investment.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I had an enjoyable night. Good effort by Rebels, particularly with our previous losses to the Tahs and with Hodge and Rangi injured inside 33 minutes. Still not sold on a 6-2 bench, just leaves you a bit hamstrung when a back or two gets injured.

I must admit I liked Misa's energy when he came on (or Bulldog as the guys behind us were calling him).

Agree with someone else about Philip and Louwrens. More poise from the Rebels.

Both sides making mistakes, I know it is wet but you can't afford to drop kickoffs (Both sides made this mistake) it just relieves any scoreboard pressure you have just applied.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I thought Will Harrison was especially disappointing tonight. He has one bow to his apron, being not a bad kicker in general play, but was well and truly bested by MT tonight. Will doesn't seem to have much else to offer the Tahs' attack.

It's ridiculous to judge Harrison when he's surrounded by such crap. Australia rugby needs to stop having such expectations on 10's when the pack is clearly the problem.

Simmons and Beale have over 150+ for Australia caps between them. They should be masters of their craft, they look clueless.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh they were improved but yes not great - credit to Angus bell as 19 year old making first start in super rugby - I though was ok but in perspective of being 19 year old prop clearly has a big future

No, not great but at least I felt like they were trying this week.

I thought he (Bell) was a little hard done by on occasion against Smith and in general open play he put in a good shift. He has a promising future. Watching the earlier Crusaders game what I wouldn't give to have Mike Ala'alatoa still at the Tah's - though it'd be doubtful that'd he'd have been developed to the same standard without jumping the ditch.

The Tah's were well in that game until around the 63min mark and came out the gate for the second half in a positive fashion. They just didn't convert their opportunities and some key players made way too many mistakes. Harrison is not up to speed yet and Nawaqanitawase was poor in defence again. It's just hard to have the young players step up when the quality around them is not good enough. You see the different experience Noah Lolesio is having with a more settled and established squad around him. I just hope we don't kill their (Tah's U20's players) confidence by throwing them in the deep end.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Also as and aside, where's Deegan? I was curious to see how he went at Super level after making the move from The Force.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I was going to fire up about the cabal of east coast elitists sabotaging the Rebels just prior to kick-off, but then I remembered that we came home with the choccies and the weekend is off to a flier.

Love beating the Waratahs, even when they put out the most woeful of performances I've seen.

Naisarani is a joy to watch, as is Korobeite (when he doesn't spill it). Matty Philip keeps putting his hand up for higher honours, and Lourens is rightfully starting 9. To'omua played a dab hand early with his kicks to advantage, but overcooked the crossfield attempts.

I still can't see where Hodge fits in. Hopefully 13, because the rest of the backline is looking pretty settled. Kelleher is a gun with a very good rugby head, always in the right position. Fully deserved the brace.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
In the 46 players that took the field tonight only Naisarani looked like a Wallaby candidate. Not as bad as the 6-0 French test at Docklands in 2014, but the lowest quality game besides that (from both sides) that I can remember attending in Melbs.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
In the 46 players that took the field tonight only Naisarani looked like a Wallaby candidate. Not as bad as the 6-0 French test at Docklands in 2014, but the lowest quality game besides that (from both sides) that I can remember attending in Melbs.

Koroibete as well, he is the same as always, but teams need a player with his power.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Happy Fucking Friday.

Was ugly but I'll take it,

Phillip needs to wear gold this year, completely schooled Simmons tonight.

Hodge looks out for a few weeks the way he was moving after, DHP was awesome at the back. Finally dropped a ball in the last 10 but had been taking everything all night in tough conditions.

Was a bit of hate for Maddocks from a few of the boys, really don't think it was all as smooth as the media mentioned with his departure.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To'omua is an interesting player. Can really stifle the attack at times and look limited, and then other times looks very sharp. Takes the ball going forward, runs simple, flat attacking shapes and puts some good kick options in.

Well done to Bell. A long way to go but an incredible achievement to be selected to start as a Super Rugby prop at such a young age.

I can’t believe that the commentators have even raised the prospect of Beale being moved to 10.
On his performance tonight Beale will be lucky not to get moved out of the 23. Missing tackles is bad enough but he might as well have put a sign around his neck tonight marked ‘I’m not tackling’. If I was Penney I’d be very disappointed in that performance from on if his most senior players.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)

Highlander35 how bad was that Wallabies France test? I remember going to Wallabies England match at AAMI two or three years ago. On the way home my wife said that is the worst game of rugby I have seen. I said you have a short memory because nothing beats that match v France.